Amateur Mars and Hubble Mars comparison

Old August 28th 03, 05:13 PM
Wes Higgins

Default Amateur Mars and Hubble Mars comparison

Hi,

For fun I put together this comparison of an image I took
with my 14.5 Starmaster on 08-23-03 to an image taken with the
Hubble Space Telescope on 08-27-03 .

The image can be see at he URL below , I did not post
it to that forum , someone else did so the comments are
not mine .

http://www.astromart.com/messages.as...d=108528&page=

Thanks,

Wes Higgins
Old August 28th 03, 05:31 PM
Richard DeLuca

In article ,
Wes Higgins wrote:

Hi,

For fun I put together this comparison of an image I took
with my 14.5 Starmaster on 08-23-03 to an image taken with the
Hubble Space Telescope on 08-27-03 .

The image can be see at he URL below , I did not post
it to that forum , someone else did so the comments are
not mine .

http://www.astromart.com/messages.as...d=108528&page=

I thought this was going to be something of a joke. Wow, I'm impressed!!

Starry Skies,
Rich

Old August 28th 03, 07:05 PM
mark d. doiron

"Wes Higgins" wrote in message

For fun I put together this comparison of an
image I took with my 14.5 Starmaster

Wes--

wow! nice image. and the Hubble's ain't half bad, either. but, as a
fellow owner of a 14.5" starmaster, i have a preference for your image. ;-)

clear, dark skies--

mark d.

Old August 28th 03, 08:17 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Hi Wes,

Terrific image! Nice work.

We are so accustomed to seeing great images from Hubble that when they
release another one with accompanying superlatives we just assume it
really is an amazing image. The truth is, for whatever reason--I don't
know--this Hubble image really isn't all that spectacular. Notice how
small (image size) the releases are? Even the print sized image is too
small to really show off superior detail. Either someone really screwed
up in producing such small images or the originals don't contain any
more information than what was released. I doubt it's the former. Not
to take anything away from them--they are nice images--but the
superlatives and other hype are way over the top.

Clear skies,
Greg

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

Old August 28th 03, 09:38 PM
Orion

Great shot!
You should send one to RCH, he will really enjoy it, as I did!
Cleardarkskies!
Orion

"Wes Higgins" wrote in message
Hi,

For fun I put together this comparison of an image I took
with my 14.5 Starmaster on 08-23-03 to an image taken with the
Hubble Space Telescope on 08-27-03 .

The image can be see at he URL below , I did not post
it to that forum , someone else did so the comments are
not mine .

http://www.astromart.com/messages.as...d=108528&page=

Thanks,

Wes Higgins

---

Old August 28th 03, 11:47 PM
Wes Higgins

Thanks!

I have a feeling I should know this but who is RCH ?

Thanks,

Wes Higgins

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:38:07 GMT, "Orion"
wrote:

Great shot!
You should send one to RCH, he will really enjoy it, as I did!
Cleardarkskies!
Orion

.. .