[FWD] Bock's Car Pilot Sweeney dies

Old July 18th 04, 10:05 AM
OM

Default [FWD] Bock's Car Pilot Sweeney dies

....Ironically, I was watching both "The Atomic Cafe" and Kuran's
digital remastering of the nuke films this evening when this came
across:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast....ap/index.html

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 18th 04, 11:44 AM
John Beaderstadt

I saw Bock's Car, at Wright-Pat, about five or six years ago. The way
I remember it, it was hidden 'way back in an unlit corner.

I saw Enola Gay only three weeks ago, at the new facility next to
Dulles. She's right in the middle of the hangar but is so surrounded
by smaller craft, in all three dimensions, that she can literally be
said to be hidden in plain sight. Given the size of the building and
the current lack of exhibits (I'd guess the hangar is only about 25%
occupied . the crowding seems rather obvious. By contrast, the SR71
is given pride of place: a central location with nothing obscuring the
view.

Neither bomber can be said to be prominently displayed. Maybe it's
for security, maybe just to avoid more controversy. There's probably
a reason, but still...

Old July 18th 04, 12:10 PM
OM

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:44:22 -0400, John Beaderstadt
wrote:

Neither bomber can be said to be prominently displayed. Maybe it's
for security, maybe just to avoid more controversy. There's probably
a reason, but still...

....If this were NASA, I'd be smelling another PAO rat on this one.
Since the Enola Gay flap between the truth and that bull**** pile of
revisionist crap the Smithsonian's head honchos tried to foist on the
public for the 50th, it's been obvious that there's a lot of liberals
still running the joint who're still ****ed about having lost that
particular Political "Correctness" war, and are trying to win whatever
moral "victory" points they can.

Sack the entire lot except for those doing the actual restoration
work, I say.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 19th 04, 05:10 AM
Guy Parry

I'd always wondered whether Bock's Car had been saved! Now I
know, and I'm glad to hear it. Dropping those two bombs was the best
thing that ever happened to the Japs.

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 06:10:05 -0500, OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org

Old July 19th 04, 02:20 PM
Gene DiGennaro

wrote:

Neither bomber can be said to be prominently displayed. Maybe it's
for security, maybe just to avoid more controversy. There's probably
a reason, but still...

...If this were NASA, I'd be smelling another PAO rat on this one.
Since the Enola Gay flap between the truth and that bull**** pile of
revisionist crap the Smithsonian's head honchos tried to foist on the
public for the 50th, it's been obvious that there's a lot of liberals
still running the joint who're still ****ed about having lost that
particular Political "Correctness" war, and are trying to win whatever
moral "victory" points they can.

Sack the entire lot except for those doing the actual restoration
work, I say.

OM

Bock's Car has been at Dayton since the early 1960's I believe. from
what I can tell there has bnever been any controversy over its
display. The placaqrds surrounding the a/c basically say " here is the
airplane that dropped the second atomic bomb on Nagasaki". The visitor
can make what they want out of it. There is no force fed
propoganda(right or left wing) surrounding the a/c. For the life of me
I cannot fathom why the NASM cannot follow the USAF's lead. After all,
Nazi German A/C aircraft are protrayed at NASM with propoganda. I seem
to remember a ME-262 on display at the NASM without any placards that
read " this aircraft was built by a regime that exterminated millions
of innocent people".

Rant mode off,

Gene DiGennaro
Baltimore, Md.