telescope to buy

Old June 8th 15, 02:02 PM
EllieMar EllieMar is offline
Junior Member

Default telescope to buy

Hello friends. Can you please give me an advice. What telescope is better to buy ( taking into account the quality) - Orion , Levenhuk or Celestron . Thanx for the help
Old June 8th 15, 02:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 9:25:10 AM UTC-4, EllieMar wrote:
Hello friends. Can you please give me an advice. What telescope is
better to buy ( taking into account the quality) - Orion , Levenhuk or
Celestron . Thanx for the help

All three, Orion (US), Levenhuk and Celestron, sell a variety of instruments in many prices ranges. Do you already have a specific model or type of scope in mind and a budgetary range?

I saw a table top Dob on sale a few years ago for a price so low that palsing (one of this group's resident trolls and an all-around curmudgeon) would accuse me, once again, of "lying" if I mentioned it. I bought one of the little scopes and was quite impressed with it... and I'm not easily impressed.
Old June 8th 15, 08:42 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
LdB[_2_]

On 6/8/2015 8:47 AM, wrote:
On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 9:25:10 AM UTC-4, EllieMar wrote:
Hello friends. Can you please give me an advice. What telescope is
better to buy ( taking into account the quality) - Orion , Levenhuk or
Celestron . Thanx for the help

All three, Orion (US), Levenhuk and Celestron, sell a variety of instruments in many prices ranges. Do you already have a specific model or type of scope in mind and a budgetary range?

I saw a table top Dob on sale a few years ago for a price so low that palsing (one of this group's resident trolls and an all-around curmudgeon) would accuse me, once again, of "lying" if I mentioned it. I bought one of the little scopes and was quite impressed with it... and I'm not easily impressed.

But you were easily convinced that you could see something worth
seeing with your obsolete viewing methods and equipment.

Is "convinced" the right term? When I see the constant barrage of
recycled rhetoric used by traditionalists I think a term closer to
brainwashing might be more appropriate. Countless posts repeating the
same message, "See something better by not looking at it." What a
wonderful way to promote astronomy.

Dobs and Kaleidescopes are just tubes with a mirror at one end. The
only difference is that you can see something when you look through a
Kaleidescope.

If you were really impressed with what you saw through that object on
the table top, it could only have been a Kaleidescope.

If you are just trying to be an astronomer by regurgitating the old
worn out line "I was quite impressed with what I could almost see" it
would have been a Dob.

LdB

Old June 9th 15, 12:49 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sketcher

Hi Ellie, Is "quality" the *only* thing that matters to you for your new telescope? Does price not matter? Does design not matter? Does size and weight not matter? Does ease of use not matter? Does aperture not matter? Does suitability for visual use and/or imaging not matter? Does suitability for planetary and/or deepsky use not matter?

If quality is the *only* thing that matters, get an apochromat refractor. They're generally constructed of quality components and produce higher quality images than other telescope types of equal aperture - but they're not cheap! Orion has a 5.1-inch apochromat for about $3,000. Of course, you'll still need eyepieces and/or a suitable camera as well as a suitable mount and tripod.

You mentioned deepsky use in a different thread. If that's still your primary interest, a 5-inch apochromat would still perform admirably *under a dark sky*. But if you're unable to observe from a *dark* sky site you would be better off with a larger aperture telescope. Most people would choose a larger (6-inch, 8-inch, 10-inch, 12-inch, etc.) Newtonian, SCT, etc. for deepsky observing - the bigger the better until size, weight, or cost becomes too great to effectively deal with.

Other telescope types (besides an apochromat) *can be* of similar quality, but in the real world they often are of lower quality.

OTOH, in the real world most people can find a much less expensive alternative to an apochromat refractor - often that alternative can do at least one task (often the task the owner is most interested in) better than can the expensive apochromat - but until we have answers to some of the questions we've asked we cannot provide you with more refined assistance.

The Orion and many other websites have informative articles,etc. for people who need more information in order to make a reasonable telescope purchasing decision. Either provide us with more information or do more research and learn more about why so many different kinds of telescopes are bought and sold. Each telescope has its own individual strengths and weaknesses. For this reason, many amateurs eventually end up owning and using more than one telescope.

In the end, any telescoe can be used effectively by a determined amateur. Once you get your new telescope, regardless of the brand, type, size, etc. If you have the determination to make frequent use of it you *will* get your money's worth!

Sketcher,
To sketch is to see.

Old June 9th 15, 07:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 08/06/2015 14:02, EllieMar wrote:

Hello friends. Can you please give me an advice. What telescope is
better to buy ( taking into account the quality) - Orion , Levenhuk or
Celestron . Thanx for the help

Do you have something particularly against Meade and Vixen?

They all make reasonable scopes and it is more a question of which one
makes a scope that you can physically handle and store conveniently.

A scope that is too big and a PITA to set up will get much less use than
one which is about the right size for your circumstances.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old June 9th 15, 11:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 3:43:08 PM UTC-4, LdB wrote:

But you were easily convinced that you could see something worth
seeing with your obsolete viewing methods and equipment.

LsD, it is obvious that you need to seek out professional help for your condition.
Old June 9th 15, 11:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 7:49:24 PM UTC-4, Sketcher wrote:
Hi Ellie, Is "quality" the *only* thing that matters to you for your new
telescope? Does price not matter? Does design not matter? Does size and weight not matter? Does ease of use not matter? Does aperture not matter? Does suitability for visual use and/or imaging not matter? Does suitability for planetary and/or deepsky use not matter?

I suspect that the OP is seeking to purchase the 'scope as a gift for someone, perhaps a child or a spouse, and doesn't necessarily know what features and details might be important.

If the budget allows, maybe an 8-inch SCT would work out, or if the budget is more limited, an 8-inch Dobsonian.

Old June 10th 15, 12:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 9:25:10 AM UTC-4, EllieMar wrote:
Hello friends. Can you please give me an advice. What telescope is
better to buy ( taking into account the quality) - Orion , Levenhuk or
Celestron . Thanx for the help

I just did a quick survey of the basic, alt-az 60mm refractors sold by those three vendors, and _IF_ I _HAD_ TO CHOOSE BETWEEN _ONLY_ THOSE THREE TELESCOPES, I would choose the Orion product, even though it cost a few more dollars.

The eyepieces included with the Orion are 25mm and 10mm focal length, versus 20mm and 4mm for the other two. The 4mm eyepiece gives 175x with these scopes, which is too high. The Orion's 25mm and 10mm eyepieces give more appropriate magnifications of 28x and 70x, respectively.

If you can give a general price range, we can give you some more help.