vinyl shed for scope storage?

Old February 19th 04, 04:50 AM
Jim Booth

Default vinyl shed for scope storage?

I am considering storing my Meade 12" SCT on equatorial mount in a vinyl
shed when not being used. The mount is already on wheely bars and it is a
simple matter to roll it into my marked and aligned area when I want to
observe. I am concerned about the effects of climate though like humidity,
dust and heat and am wondering if modifications would need to be made to the
shed to combat these factors. I am particularly concerned about moisture
rusting the scope as well as the intense summertime heat I have here. I
have read that application of reflective aluminum paint to the shed roof as
well as the use of foam panels on the inside with a high R factor will
greatly reduce heating. I also understand that insulating the inside walls
is helpful also. Not sure about these things, so I'm turning to the group
here for any advice, tips, or suggestions.

Thanks,
Jim

Old February 19th 04, 04:55 AM
Jim Booth

Default vinyl shed for scope storage?-just wanted to add

I forgot to add that I'll be using a wooden base as a foundation. If
moisture can penetrate this also, is there some way I can place a seal
within the base structure to stop it? Thanks.

link.net...

Old February 19th 04, 05:48 AM
Davoud

Jim Booth:
I am considering storing my Meade 12" SCT on equatorial mount in a vinyl
shed when not being used... I am concerned about the effects of climate though like humidity,
dust and heat and am wondering if modifications would need to be made to the
shed to combat these factors. I am particularly concerned about moisture
rusting the scope as well as the intense summertime heat I have here...

*****

Sorry, no answer, but I want to second the question, as I have the same
problem. I'm going to put my Meade 8" under an Observa-Dome
http://www.davidillig.com/ast-thedome.shtml and I'm not certain how
to climate-control it during hot, humid, Maryland summers without
blowing or sucking dust, grass clippings (two acres, powerful tractor,
lotsa fine clippings blowing around), and other junk into the dome.
Perhaps a very small window-mount air conditioner?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Old February 19th 04, 06:03 AM
Al

Keeping this scope in a shed is a _bad_ idea! If it's an LX200, it could be
very harmful to the electronics....and if your shed located near a swimming
pool, it would be like suicide for anything electronic. Make some space in
a closet (find a new home for some of your wife's shoes) and store it there
in a case.

BTW, I feel like I'm the voice of experience regarding this subject. I kept
my LX200 in the backyard shed for a little more than a year. I kept it in a
foam lined hard case, but it seems like that was not enough protection. I
didn't use the scope for about 10 to 12 weeks during the very cold part of
the winter, but when I set it up for use in March, I was in store for a big
surprise. When I plugged it in, there was a puff of smoke, then all the
lights went out. It cost me $200 for a "Meade electronic swap" plus 7 weeks
of down time.

Al

link.net...

Old February 19th 04, 06:12 AM
Jim Booth

Hi Davoud,

I've only been researching for a few days, but my understanding is that
there is a way to control heat with a special foam paneling. I can't recall
the name of the firm, but I read that this foam can be installed on the
underside of roofs and, if it is of sufficient thickness and combined with
aluminum reflective paint applied to the roof on the outside, will reduce
summertime heating so that no damage will be done to optical equipment (must
calculate an acceptable "R" factor). I wish I could provide more details,
but that's all I know at the present time.

As far as dust and dirt factors, many folks seem to use several vents
(necessary for ventillation) with furnace filter material installed over the
vent. This combined with caulking up any holes or along seams appears to be
what some others have used. My local DIY store also has material to produce
a vapor seal and I wish someone could discuss this topic further.

I think you might want to avoid the air conditioner from what I understand.
Some observatories seem to use dehumidifiers and even incandescent light
bulbs to drive moisture away, but again not having done this I can't provide
any guidelines which is why I turned here.

Jim

Jim Booth:

Old February 19th 04, 06:25 AM
Jim Booth

Hi Al,

I appreciate your response. I don't have the entire LX200 system- just the
12" SCT on an equatorial mount. Unfortunately, this scope/mount has proven
to have way too much weight for me to set up each time. I tried all indoor
options, including wheely bars and even a hand truck system. However, my
doorways are simply too narrow and the step that must be transversed is too
high.

To me, and I am new at this so please bear with me, it doesn't seem like a
modified shed would be all that much different than an observatory except
that I don't have a roll off roof or dome. I obtained this SCT used from a
gentleman who had it in his amateur observatory for 8 years. I can say
without a doubt that the scope is still in like new shape! Do you feel your
electronics failure was moisture related or just random electronics failure?
And, although your electronics failed, what was the condition of your
optical tube?

Not trying to criticize here, but I am trying to seek as much info as
possible before making my final decision.

Jim

In tests"Al" wrote in message
[...]

link.net...