RIP, Oriana Fallaci

Old September 20th 06, 05:28 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default RIP, Oriana Fallaci

What a piece of work she was! A New Yorker profile of Fallaci earlier
this summer contained this great nugget:

"Forced to wear a chador while interviewing the Ayotollah Khomeini,
Fallaci asked a more insolent question: 'How do you swim in a chador?'
Khomeini snapped, 'Our customs are none of your business. If you do not
like Islamic dress you are not obliged to wear it. Because Islamic
dress is for good and proper young women.' Fallaci saw an opening, and
charged in. 'That's very kind of you, Imam. And since you said so,
I'm going to take off this stupid, medieval rag right now.' She
yanked off her chador."

She had spunk, R.I.P..

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/conten.../060605fa_fact

frank

Rand Simberg wrote:
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/i...915-1821174886

A brave woman, and a great journalist. She never got around to paying
Pete Conrad's bet. Perhaps she'll do it now.