Were Mammoths Wiped Out By A Supenova?

Old October 5th 05, 08:48 PM
Rand Simberg

Default Were Mammoths Wiped Out By A Supenova?

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...oth_print.html
Old October 5th 05, 11:01 PM
Jim Logajan

(Rand Simberg) wrote:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...oth_print.html

Hey, get in line! Another theory says really hungry post ice-age hunters
wiped out the mammoths:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0803173345.htm

Okay, so why weren't bison/buffalo "impacted" by either the alleged hunters
or the alleged supernova? Not big or tasty enough? I think we need more
theories....
Old October 5th 05, 11:51 PM
Joe Strout

(Rand Simberg) wrote:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...oth_print.html

I'd like to know where the supernova remnant is -- if only 250 LY away,
we ought to be able to get a pretty good look at it, I'd think.

- Joe

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |
Old October 6th 05, 02:46 AM
Herman Rubin

Jim Logajan wrote:
(Rand Simberg) wrote:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...oth_print.html

Hey, get in line! Another theory says really hungry post ice-age hunters
wiped out the mammoths:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0803173345.htm

Okay, so why weren't bison/buffalo "impacted" by either the alleged hunters
or the alleged supernova? Not big or tasty enough? I think we need more
theories....

The usual explanation given why the bison were not impacted
by the hunters was that the time to maturity of bison is just
a few years, while that for the mammoths was probably similar
to modern elephants, on the order of 15 years.

Bison are cross-fertile with domestic cattle; with a reproduction
rate of about 1/5 as much, it was not hard to wipe them out.
Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558
Old October 8th 05, 10:24 PM
Pat Flannery

Joe Strout wrote:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs...oth_print.html

I'd like to know where the supernova remnant is -- if only 250 LY away,
we ought to be able to get a pretty good look at it, I'd think.

- Joe

I can't positively say that the theory is wrong, but that sounds like
one of the most cracked concepts I've heard in a long time. :-D

Pat