Sky & Telescope's Weekly Bulletin - Apr 7

Old April 8th 06, 03:12 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro

Default Sky & Telescope's Weekly Bulletin - Apr 7

SKY & TELESCOPE'S WEEKLY BULLETIN - April 7, 2006

Welcome to Sky & Telescope's Weekly Bulletin. Images, the full stories,
abridged here, and other enhancements are on our Web site, at:
http://SkyandTelescope.com

**If you are unable to click on the links in this newsletter, please
copy and paste the links into your Web browser**

================
THIS WEEK'S NEWS
================

Why Galaxies Tilt Just So

April 5, 2006 | From the earliest moment of the Big Bang to the
universe we see today, just about every step of cosmic evolution has
been falling neatly into place in the last few years. Now a group of
astronomers is announcing their discovery that another piece of the
puzzle fits just right: the ways in which spiral galaxies, such as the
Milky Way, tend to be oriented in space....

http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/article_1709_1.asp

NASA's Dawn Mission Gets a Reprieve

April 4, 2006 | After enduring weeks of outrage from space scientists
and an official objection from the director of its Jet Propulsion
Laboratory, NASA has reversed its decision to cancel the Dawn asteroid
mission. NASA associate administrator Rex Geveden, who chaired a
high-level review panel, concluded on March 27th that the mission
should proceed as planned, overturning the abrupt decision to cancel it
made by Mary Cleave, the agency's space-science chief, earlier in the
month....

http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/article_1708_1.asp

The April 1st Pleiades Occultation

April 2, 2006 | A hundred people were milling and chattering inside the
church dining hall at a fundraising dinner, but I was outside alone in
the churchyard gazing at the Moon. Resting on my shoulders was my
homemade image-stabilizing binocular frame , and in the view of the
10x50 binoculars was a glorious spectacle: the crescent Moon amid the
Pleiades in the last fading purple twilight. For now, I wanted the show
all to myself. I watched as the Moon's earthlit limb crept surprisingly
quickly up to 4th-magnitude Electra, one of the stars forming the
bottom of the Pleiades' "dipper" shape. And suddenly Electra was
gone....

http://SkyandTelescope.com/observing.../occultations/

===========================
OBSERVING - SKY AT A GLANCE
===========================

April 7 - - April 15

Watch Mercury at greatest elongation in the dawn sky, Jupiter rise in
the east-southeast around 9 p.m., and be sure to check in on Saturn as
it shines pale yellow very high in the south to southwest during
evening.

http://SkyandTelescope.com/observing...icle_110_1.asp

==================================
OBSERVING - THIS WEEK'S HIGHLIGHTS
==================================

Update on Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3: This periodic comet, due to
reach 4th magnitude in May, has shed more fragments. We may get not
just a double comet, but a string of little comets.

http://SkyandTelescope.com/observing/

===========================
SHOP AT SKY (Advertisement)
===========================

Pocket Sky Atlas

When we couldn't find the ideal portable star atlas, we decided to
create it ourselves! Our new Pocket Sky Atlas has 30,000 stars to
magnitude 7.6 and 1,500 deep-sky objects, but it's handy and portable.

SKY & TELESCOPE's Pocket Sky Atlas $19.95, plus shipping:

http://www.ShopatSky.com/index.asp?P...campa ign=PSA

Clyde Tombaugh: Discoverer of the Planet Pluto

Discover Pluto with Clyde Tombaugh! This fascinating biography
chronicles his findings and why his works remain relevant today as
astronomers continue their search for planets in the outskirts of our
solar system.

Clyde Tombaugh: Discoverer of the Planet Pluto $13.95, plus shipping:

http://www.ShopatSky.com/index.asp?P...yde%2Btombaugh

Copyright 2006 Sky Publishing Corp. S&T's Weekly Bulletin is provided
as a free service to the astronomical community by the editors of SKY &
TELESCOPE magazine. Widespread distribution is encouraged as long as
our copyright notice is included, with the words "used by permission."
This bulletin may not be published in any other form without written
permission from Sky Publishing; send e-mail to
or call +1 617-864-7360. More astronomy
news is available on our Web site at
http://SkyandTelescope.com/news/.

http://SkyandTelescope.com/shopatsky/emailsubscribe.asp