NASA Selects Team to Build Lunar Lander

Old September 30th 05, 09:49 PM

Default NASA Selects Team to Build Lunar Lander

Michael Braukus/J.D. Harrington
Headquarters, Washington Sept. 30, 2005
(Phone: 202/358-1979/5241)

RELEASE: 05-289

NASA SELECTS TEAM TO BUILD LUNAR LANDER

NASA's Deputy Associate Administrator for the Exploration
Systems Mission Directorate Doug Cooke today announced the selection
of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala., and
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md., to lead a team
in the development of a lunar lander spacecraft.

The lander is tentatively planned for launch as early as 2010.
It will demonstrate the ability for precision landings at targeted
locations on the moon; evaluate landing zone environment; and
determine if lunar resources can support a sustained human presence.

"This mission will have as a primary objective to determine
whether there is water-ice in the permanently dark areas within
craters in the moon's polar regions. The existence of water-ice
has important implications in living off the land when we return
with human explorers," Cooke said. "The lunar lander will test
critical automated descent and precision landing capabilities
needed for human landings, including surface hazard avoidance
during landing. The discoveries from this mission and the data
it collects will play a vital role in humans returning to the
moon and living there for extended periods," he added.

The Robotic Lunar Exploration Program (RLEP) program is intended
to provide a series of robotic missions to support human exploration.
The lunar lander spacecraft is the second RLEP mission. The
Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) is the first mission developed
under the RLEP. The LRO is being built at Goddard and is scheduled
for launch in 2008. The orbiter will carry six instruments that
will map and photograph the lunar surface, search for surface
ice deposits, and investigate space radiation.

For information about NASA and the new era of space exploration
on the Web, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/home

-end-

Old October 1st 05, 10:37 PM
Brad Guth

In the meantime, why not just allow the deployment of the already
existing LUNAR-A mission that's been on hold for more than a decade?
~

Life on Venus includes your basic Township, Bridge & Tarmac:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-town.htm
Russian/Chinese LSE-CM/ISS (Lunar Space Elevator)
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
A few other sub-topics of interest by; Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm

Old October 1st 05, 10:49 PM
Art Deco

Brad Guth wrote:

In the meantime, why not just allow the deployment of the already
existing LUNAR-A mission that's been on hold for more than a decade?

Fortunately NASA doesn't have to listen to frothing pseudoscience
usenet kooks such as yourself, guth.

[guth links flushed]

--
Official Associate AFA-B Vote Rustler

"The original human being was a female hermaphrodite with
both male and female genitalia."

"Human beings CAN NOT live in a solar system without a sun
with a ferrite core and a planet without a solid iron core."

-- Alexa Cameron, Kook of the Year 2004
Old October 2nd 05, 07:32 PM
Brad Guth

Our moon by day is in fact "hotter than holy hell".
I'd been referring to various substances as per those having been
situated or sequestered within a sufficient vacuum. However, if that
vacuum so happens to include a crystal clear surround as that of an
insulative layer of radon gas isn't going to exactly make such items
any cooler, that plus of what has been said about the extremely hot and
nasty particles that coexist throughout the Van Allen zone/expanse are
of what's further suggesting that it can get and sustain such small
particles(various atoms and most certainly a good dusting worth of
iron) as per being extremely hot while you're situated within such a
near vacuum as a fully solar/cosmic exposure mode of being essentially
naked, and especially humanly hot and nasty while having to trek
yourself across a less than 5 g/cm2 worth of an extremely dark
moon-dust surface-tension, that's of all things being its hot and nasty
self is also a bit photon reactive to boot (especially as derived off
the items of higher density, like starting off with basalt at 3.1
g/cm3) which supposedly accomplishes a terrific job of generating them
hard-X-rays.

Perhaps the lunar atmospheric element of the sodium element in of
itself is even a wee bit hotter than we'd previously understood, and
certainly of a greater population/m3 than we'd previously thought, and
perhaps especially of those sodium atoms as having ranged more than
900,000 km away from the lunar deck by such solar winds had to have
been individually "hotter than holy hell".

Since we still have absolutely nothing that's interactively sharing
scientific squat from the surface of our moon, perhaps certain folks
can best inform us village idiots as to what the temperature actually
is of the solar winds (100 ~ 2400 km/s), thus putting into perspective
as to what a supposedly sparsely populated atmosphere of our moon might
have to offer?

Seems we're being told to assume that such hot and nasty particles as
being closely associated with the nearly naked surface of the moon will
not in any measurable way degrade nor much less penetrate a given
moonsuit that's being wide-field (360 x 180) exposed to whatever's
physical that's coming along at good velocity, plus wide-spectrum
radiated upon from every which way but lose, and that's having to
include from the bottom up. Thus it's not just speaking about thermal
conduction and radiated thermal energy as it's involving what DNA/RNA
hot and nasty about being anywhere near the solar illuminated portions
of or moon.

I'm no expert wizard of Oz but, seems like the environment of our moon
(especially by day) offers a perfectly good reason for using robust
robots, and/or the sorts of LUNAR-A impact probes that are DNA/RNA
deficient to start off with.
~

Old October 7th 05, 04:04 PM

Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

WOW! Is that close to being wicked hot?
Since we still have absolutely nothing that's interactively sharing
scientific squat from the surface of our moon, perhaps certain folks
can best inform us village idiots as to what the temperature actually
is of the solar winds (100 ~ 2400 km/s), thus putting into perspective
as to what a supposedly sparsely populated atmosphere of our moon might
have to offer?
100^2400km/s? try moron not idiot
Seems we're being told to assume that such hot and nasty particles as
being closely associated with the nearly naked surface of the moon will
not in any measurable way degrade nor much less penetrate a given
moonsuit that's being wide-field (360 x 180) exposed to whatever's
physical that's coming along at good velocity, plus wide-spectrum
radiated upon from every which way but lose, and that's having to
include from the bottom up. Thus it's not just speaking about thermal
conduction and radiated thermal energy as it's involving what DNA/RNA
hot and nasty about being anywhere near the solar illuminated portions
of or moon.
DNA/RNA what about my ING investment?
I'm no expert wizard of Oz but, butt what? seems like the environment of our moon

Old October 7th 05, 10:48 PM
Brad Guth

What happened?
Whenever I try to post anything without my having included a few words,
I can't, or at least the GOOGLE Usenet V-Chip tells me that I have to
provide something/anything besides just crossposting to some other
groups.
~

Life upon Venus, a township w/Bridge & ET/UFO Park-n-Ride Tarmac:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-town.htm
The Russian/China LSE-CM/ISS (Lunar Space Elevator)
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
Venus ETs, plus the updated sub-topics; Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm
War is war, thus "in war there are no rules" - In fact, war has been
the very reason of having to deal with the likes of others that haven't
been playing by whatever rules, such as GW Bush.

Old October 8th 05, 08:43 PM
Brad Guth

Impacting the moon for sport of science and for creating atmosphere;

If something is dropped/deployed away from the stationary (mutual
gravity-well) spot that's roughly 35r or 34r off the deck being 59,092
km of taking on a nearly straight fall and thus hardly any orbital
velocity; If starting off at 1 m/s, what's length of time and the final
velocity as this item impacts the lunar surface?

For even numbers, you may as well use 60,000 km as your distance to
ground zero.
~

Life upon Venus, a township w/Bridge & ET/UFO Park-n-Ride Tarmac:
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-town.htm
The Russian/China LSE-CM/ISS (Lunar Space Elevator)
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/lunar-space-elevator.htm
Venus ETs, plus the updated sub-topics; Brad Guth / GASA-IEIS
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-topics.htm

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
NASA Publications Online (V. long) Andrew Gray History 4 June 28th 04 10:24 PM
significant addition to section 25 of the faq heat Misc 1 April 15th 04 01:20 AM