proposed name for Saturnian moon S/2005 S1

Old May 23rd 05, 02:51 AM
Mike Flugennock

Default proposed name for Saturnian moon S/2005 S1

In case they run out of more and more obscure Greek or Roman mythological
figures, and if any JPL folks are lurking here -- may I suggest, as a name
for the newly-discovered moon in Saturn, "Cowabunga". I figured this was
only appropriate as it's the "wavemaking moon".

Hey, c'mon; there's a rock on Mars called "Yogi" now, y'know.

--
"All over, people changing their votes,
along with their overcoats;
Old May 23rd 05, 02:00 PM
William C. Keel

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
On Sun, 22 May 2005 21:51:45 -0400, (Mike
Flugennock) wrote:

In case they run out of more and more obscure Greek or Roman mythological
figures, and if any JPL folks are lurking here -- may I suggest, as a name
for the newly-discovered moon in Saturn, "Cowabunga". I figured this was
only appropriate as it's the "wavemaking moon".

...It works for me, and probably everyone else with a clue. However,
astronomical bodies are currently named by a bunch of transvestite and
transsexual Frogs who, to this day, refuse to acknowledge "Mount
Marilyn" or any of the other names deservedly assigned to locations on
the Moon by those who discovered and/or visited there. As soon as the
IAU is disbanded and its members executed, the sooner we'll see more
fun and apropos names applied to stellar bodies.

Err, as in IAU member with neither French nor amphibian ancestry
within the recorded annals, we do other things, you know. The whole
relativistic reference-frame thing, expressions of concern about
orbiting mausolea as sources of light pollution, promotion of
astronomy in developing countries, negotiations with some
standing to try heading off interference from satellites (didja
known that Iridium satellites are supposed to limit transmissions
within line of sight of Arecibo?).

Come on - they did let Harrison, Starr, Lennon, and McCartney
in for asteroids, along with Spock (named after a cat, making
a statement and thereafter resulting in a tightening of the
rules), Zappafrank, James Bond, and a couple of folks who
drop in on s.s.h. The organization has not always been
chemically lacking on humor. When Soviet representatives
proposed names for farside features including Mare Mosciovense,
there was some debate about this breaking the pattern set
by names of nearside maria. As a result, and by vote of the
IAU, Moscow is a state of mind.

The IAU is also a bit more freewheeling than most other global
scientific unions, being the only one I know of fo rwhich
memebership is held by individuals rather than by national
organizations, whcih did manage to hold down the level of
stupidity during the Cold War.

Bill Keel
Old May 23rd 05, 02:21 PM

Cowabunga is OK!!!

Old May 23rd 05, 07:00 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , William C. Keel
writes
Flugennock) wrote:

[...]

Does that mean an asteroid can't be named for Laika? If so, I hope they
make another exception, calling her a dead astronaut or something.

Things could be a lot worse - as Arthur Clarke writes somewhere, we
could have had everything named by a US general who likes baseball or a
Soviet bureaucrat sticking pins in the Moscow telephone directory.

BTW, according to a post on alt.astronomy citing this page
http://www.bama.ua.edu/~bolan003/, a moon of Ganymede has been found
and named Rooster. Am I right in thinking this is complete nonsense?
Old May 23rd 05, 07:58 PM
Henry Spencer

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
...It works for me, and probably everyone else with a clue. However,
astronomical bodies are currently named by a bunch of transvestite and
transsexual Frogs...

Now, OM, take your medication like a good boy. :-) As I've noted before,
the nationality most heavily represented on the IAU naming committees is
actually the US, with only minor French participation.

...who, to this day, refuse to acknowledge "Mount
Marilyn" or any of the other names deservedly assigned to locations on
the Moon by those who discovered and/or visited there...

If memory serves, actually, a lot of the informal Apollo names -- not all
of them, but quite a few -- *have* been blessed by the IAU.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old May 23rd 05, 08:23 PM
William C. Keel

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:
In message , William C. Keel
writes
Flugennock) wrote:

Does that mean an asteroid can't be named for Laika? If so, I hope they
make another exception, calling her a dead astronaut or something.

I suppose someone could petition for an exception on historical
grounds or something. BTW, the current alphabetical name list is in
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/iau/lists/MPNames.html

Things could be a lot worse - as Arthur Clarke writes somewhere, we
could have had everything named by a US general who likes baseball or a
Soviet bureaucrat sticking pins in the Moscow telephone directory.

This is almost what heppened in the first round of lunar crater
names - lots of those folks were patrons or supporters of the
mapper's personal position.

BTW, according to a post on alt.astronomy citing this page
http://www.bama.ua.edu/~bolan003/, a moon of Ganymede has been found
and named Rooster. Am I right in thinking this is complete nonsense?

How odd - that appears to be a student web site on our own campus,
with a passing reference (along with the gender preferences of the
mythological Ganymede) to this Rooster business. Looks made
up to me - I don't think Ganymede-the-moon has any phase
space in which a satellite would be stable over interestingly
long times, and googling doesn't turn up anything else.

Bill Keel
Old May 23rd 05, 10:47 PM

Flugennock) wrote:

[...]

Biological taxonomy probably serves as the bad example for something to
avoid. Decades aga, one fellow submitted a lot of proposed generic
names for beetles he described. The names got approved until an English
speaker noticed Peggikishme, Suziekishme, Marikishme and a slew of
others. They cracked down on the frivolity after that. The other
extreme is probably the Spanish, who almost everywhere they went named
everything from towns, to mountains, to lakes, to ships, to plants
after only about a dozen saints and the Virgin Mary. Very boring.

s that mean an asteroid can't be named for Laika? If so, I hope they
make another exception, calling her a dead astronaut or something.

If an asteroid hasn't been named for Laika, it just means no one's
proposed it yet.

Things could be a lot worse - as Arthur Clarke writes somewhere, we
could have had everything named by a US general who likes baseball or

Soviet bureaucrat sticking pins in the Moscow telephone directory.

BTW, according to a post on alt.astronomy citing this page
http://www.bama.ua.edu/~bolan003/, a moon of Ganymede has been

found
and named Rooster. Am I right in thinking this is complete nonsense?
--

Hint: if the first moon of a moon had been discovered, would you expect
the home site of a gay boy's band to be the best source for

Old May 23rd 05, 11:18 PM
OM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:58:50 GMT, (Henry Spencer)
wrote:

If memory serves, actually, a lot of the informal Apollo names -- not all
of them, but quite a few -- *have* been blessed by the IAU.

....But from what I've been able to gather, Mount Marilyn has *not*,
and the craters named for the A1 crew are still on the far side,
right?

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 24th 05, 01:27 AM
Henry Spencer

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote:
If memory serves, actually, a lot of the informal Apollo names -- not all
of them, but quite a few -- *have* been blessed by the IAU.

...But from what I've been able to gather, Mount Marilyn has *not*,
and the craters named for the A1 crew are still on the far side, right?

Mount Marilyn I'm not sure about.

But last I heard, you're correct that craters Grissom, White, and Chaffee
have not moved. :-) Trouble is, the nearside has been mapped for so long
that even quite small craters had pre-spaceflight names. The only way to
name *noticeable* craters -- ones that would be marked in typical maps --
after the Apollo 1 crew was to go to the farside.

Don't complain too much. They also have *stars* named after them -- by an
underhanded route -- and that's a rare distinction indeed.

(Three of the stars in the Apollo navigation-star list did not have names,
at least not that the astronomer helping with Apollo navigation work knew,
and so the crew talked him into giving them some... Navi after Virgil
*Ivan* Grisson, Dnoces after Edward H. White *II*, Regor after *Roger*
Chaffee. And those names have since shown up in other star catalogs.
Turns out that Navi and Dnoces already had relatively-obscure names, but
still...)
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |

ISS needs to go to the MOON, with or w/o crew Brad Guth Policy 1 March 31st 05 12:58 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Space Calendar - April 30, 2004 Ron Astronomy Misc 0 April 30th 04 03:55 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM