Apollo 11 photos on the moon

Old August 10th 04, 04:33 PM
Jud McCranie

Default Apollo 11 photos on the moon

I've been watching the Apollo 11 DVD set that I got a few days ago.

1. They shoot four panoramas with the still cameras. Why so many
panoramas, they didn't move too far from the LM, so the view wasn't
that different, I don't think.

2. A long time ago I read that a lot of the film of the still photos
taken on the surface was accidentally left behind. Is that true?

---
Replace you know what by j to email
Old August 11th 04, 01:53 PM
Mark Percival

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Jay Windley wrote:

No. The Apollo 14 crew accidentally left one magazine behind. That's the
only time.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Jud McCranie wrote:

OK, thanks. Maybe that's what I remember hearing 30+ years ago.

I think this was actually Apollo 12.

Mark Percival
Montreal, Quebec
Old August 11th 04, 02:13 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
2. A long time ago I read that a lot of the film of the still photos
taken on the surface was accidentally left behind. Is that true?

You'd think they'd just go back to the set in Nevada and pick it up.

Old August 11th 04, 08:03 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Jud McCranie
writes
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:20:58 +0100, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

Both crews managed to leave film on the Moon :-)
Apollo 14 was apparently colour film of Earthrise and other things,

If it was an Earthrise, then it would have been taken from orbit,
right? Was it taken in orbit before landing, and it was on a roll of
film left on the surface?

I managed to get that backwards! It's Apollo 12 that left some film
taken during the descent. The full details are at
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...nch.html#13833
55.
The Apollo 14 mix-up is at
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...one.html#13259
35
Old August 11th 04, 10:36 PM
Derek Lyons

wrote:
Both crews managed to leave film on the Moon :-)
Apollo 14 was apparently colour film of Earthrise and other things,

If it was an Earthrise, then it would have been taken from orbit,
right? Was it taken in orbit before landing, and it was on a roll of
film left on the surface?

The camera's carried by the Apollo missions had film magazines that
could be swapped out partially used. It's entirely possible for a
single magazine to have pictures from multiple phases of the flight,
but to not have spent all that time installed in a camera.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.
Old August 12th 04, 06:52 PM
Jay Windley

"Jim Davis" wrote in message
. 1.4...
| Jay Windley wrote:
|
| Welcome back, Jay, and congratulations on an outstanding job on the
| recent National Geographic Moan Hoax special.

Thanks. David Percy and Mary Bennett were invited to participate, but
declined. Unfortunately I had to do my piece without knowing what Ralph
Rene and Bill Kaysing were planning. That's just the order they ended up
having to shoot it in.

The good news is that ZigZag sent me the strip of film I shot with the
Hasselblad mockup. I'm having it professionally scanned, and I'll use it on
my web site. Clears up a lot of questions.

--

The universe is not required to conform | Jay Windley
to the expectations of the ignorant. | webmaster @ clavius.org

Old August 12th 04, 09:38 PM
Jay Windley

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message

| I thought it seemed that Neil took all of the still photos on the
| surface, but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

They shared the camera. Armstrong took most of the pics, but by no means
all of them. The solitary footprint, one of the most reproduced photos from
that mission, was Aldrin's work.

Old August 12th 04, 10:18 PM
Henry Spencer

Jud McCranie wrote:
Out of those two, only one was used outside during the EVA.

I thought it seemed that Neil took all of the still photos on the
surface, but I wasn't sure...

Not *quite* all. Armstrong had the camera most of the time, but did hand
off to Aldrin a couple of times for specific chores, as per the EVA plan.

This is why there are no good shots of Armstrong on the surface. There
*are* a couple of shots of him, taken by Aldrin more or less incidentally
in sequences shot for other purposes, but the good astronaut-on-surface
shots from Apollo 11 are all of Aldrin. (For a long time, it was thought
that there were *no* photos of Armstrong on the surface, but that was a
result of misunderstandings in the postflight debriefings.)

It simply didn't occur to anyone until afterward that the planned camera
use meant that there would be no good publicity shot of Armstrong.

(It has been suggested that on the occasions when Aldrin had the camera,
he deliberately refrained from getting a good shot of Armstrong because he
was still annoyed about not being first out. While this isn't out of the
question, to me it seems quite plausible that he was simply busy and the
possibility never occurred to him.)
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old August 12th 04, 11:15 PM
Jud McCranie

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:38:01 -0600, "Jay Windley"
wrote:

They shared the camera. Armstrong took most of the pics, but by no means
all of them. The solitary footprint, one of the most reproduced photos from
that mission, was Aldrin's work.

That's right. And I should have realized that in the pictures of
Buzz, he doesn't have a camera.

---
Replace you know what by j to email