American Urban Star 2/ 2

Old October 1st 03, 05:54 AM
JOHN PAZMINO

Default American Urban Star 2/ 2

Continued from previous message.

------------
The American Urban Star Fest is totally free of charge to all
visitors. The sponsors, and contributors, cover all the costs,

What to see
---------
Mars remains the feature of the night sky, still large and bright.
Uranus We check out Uranus, near to Mars. We got a half Moon for you
this year, with Neptune right next to her. Early arrivers at sunset
may spot Venus low in the southwest.
Depending on the weather and your interest, we'll demonstrate
double stars, clusters of stars, a galaxy, and -- yes! -- stars with
their OWN planets around them. The Fest closes with a peek at the
Pleiades coming up over the trees in the east at 23h. If we can linger
longer, thru midnight, we'll cap off the night with Saturn rising.
If we're lucky, we may get a crossing of the International Space
Station and a flash from one of the Iridium satellites. (We'll know
better a couple days before the Fest.)

Getting to the Fest
-----------------
The closest subway stations to the Fest are
57th St (Carnegie Hall) - BMT Broadway
57th St (Central Pk S) - IND 6th Av
59th St (Columbus Circle) - IRT 7th Av and IND 6th & 8th Av
66th Street (Lincoln Center) - IRT 7th Av
72nd St (Dakota) - IND 6th & 8th Av
Buses run in Broadway, 9th Av, Columbus Av, 8th Av, Central Park
West, 59th/60th St, Central Park South, and 57th St.
There is no provision for cars at or near the Fest. The American
Urban Star Fest is unique among major public astronomy events for
having virtually all of its visitors arrive by transit or foot.

Are we for real
-------------
You won't find the American Urban Star Fest in the usual lists of
starparties. We got no true 'dark' skies. No camping or sports. No
singalongs or skits. No contests or prizes. No vendors or showcases.
No slate of lectures and workshops. No gigantic telescopes. No
'famous' stargazers or writers or speakers.
Yet we draw the largest attendance of any regularly scheduled
public astronomy event in the world (except, of course, for special
vents like eclipses and major comets). Try a few thousand.
Why?
Because we offer the epitome of urban home astronomy, a star
sprinkled sky over the star sprinkled skyline.
And it's all yours for free.
Come to the 9th annual American Urban Star Fest.

---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P005004