proposed name for Saturnian moon S/2005 S1

Old May 24th 05, 02:22 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:58:50 GMT, (Henry Spencer)
wrote:

If memory serves, actually, a lot of the informal Apollo names -- not all
of them, but quite a few -- *have* been blessed by the IAU.

...But from what I've been able to gather, Mount Marilyn has *not*,
and the craters named for the A1 crew are still on the far side,
right?

Actually works for me. Means you have to go there to see them. I think
that's an appropriate tribute.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr

Old May 25th 05, 11:16 AM
Anthony Frost

In message
Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

In message , Anthony Frost
writes

Chemistry naming got tightened up a bit after someone having a bad name
day labelled a new sugar as godnose...

The someone was Albert Szent-Gyorgyi (before he won the Nobel prize) but
there seems to be argument as to whether it was the editor of Nature or
the Biochemical Journal who objected.

Ta. I could remember having checked the story when told it by chemistry
teachers mumble years ago, but couldn't remember the other names
involved.

But you've still got *******ane, curious chloride, megaphone, and
windowpane, so the rules are still fairly loose (thanks to
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/sillymolecules/sillymols.htm for these and
more).

:-) Bookmarked for future giggles.

Anthony

Old May 28th 05, 01:49 PM
Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker (zili@home)

Am Tue, 24 May 2005 17:41:46 GMT schrieb "Derek Lyons":

The A1 crew also has three artificial islands off the coast of Long
Beach (CA) named for them.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...+beach%7cca%7c

And I am glad to see, that another island there is named after Ted C.
Freeman, who 'bought the farm' in his T-38 before having an orbital
flight at all.

cu, ZiLi aka HKZL (Heinrich Zinndorf-Linker)
--
"Abusus non tollit usum" - Latin: Abuse is no argument against proper use.

mailto: http://zili.de

ISS needs to go to the MOON, with or w/o crew Brad Guth Policy 1 March 31st 05 12:58 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 August 1st 04 09:08 PM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Space Calendar - April 30, 2004 Ron Astronomy Misc 0 April 30th 04 03:55 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM