Do you remember this book? Fake planetary Nat'l Geographic

Old April 16th 08, 06:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bill Higgins

Default Do you remember this book? Fake planetary Nat'l Geographic

In contemplating the *A.D.2063* book discussed on the Paleo-Future blog at
http://www.paleofuture.com/2008/04/2063-ad-book-1963.html, I was reminded
of another book General Dynamics put out. But I can't remember the title.

It was published sometime in the late Eighties, and it was pretended to be a
future issue of a magazine very much like *National Geographic*. It
portrayed the exploration and development of various parts of the solar
system.

It had lots of color illustrations. I think it was given to me by a
General Dynamics employee. Can you help me track this down?

Bill Higgins
Fermilab

Old April 16th 08, 08:55 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Bill Higgins wrote:
In contemplating the *A.D.2063* book discussed on the Paleo-Future blog at
http://www.paleofuture.com/2008/04/2063-ad-book-1963.html, I was reminded
of another book General Dynamics put out. But I can't remember the title.

It was published sometime in the late Eighties, and it was pretended to be a
future issue of a magazine very much like *National Geographic*. It
portrayed the exploration and development of various parts of the solar
system.

It had lots of color illustrations. I think it was given to me by a
General Dynamics employee. Can you help me track this down?

Bill Higgins
Fermilab

It's probably not what you're talkinjg about, but the August (?), 1970
issue had an article about the planned 'Grand Tour' of the outer
planets (which became the Voyager missions). It included several
paintings.

On a related note, a friend of mine used to have (might still, he's
moved and I haven't been to his changed digs for years) a faux NG
cover dated c2200 or so and featuring the Enterprise's encounter with
V'Ger (from Star Trek: TMP). It was a piece in the artshow of a
convention c 1980. Beautifully done, and they even figured out the
proper issue # for the cover date.
Old April 17th 08, 12:46 AM posted to sci.space.history
Andre Lieven[_3_]

On Apr 16, 1:25 pm, Bill Higgins wrote:
In contemplating the *A.D.2063* book discussed on the Paleo-Future blog at
http://www.paleofuture.com/2008/04/2063-ad-book-1963.html, I was reminded
of another book General Dynamics put out. But I can't remember the title..

It was published sometime in the late Eighties, and it was pretended to be a
future issue of a magazine very much like *National Geographic*. It
portrayed the exploration and development of various parts of the solar
system.

It had lots of color illustrations. I think it was given to me by a
General Dynamics employee. Can you help me track this down?

Is this it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1843400707

Galactic Geographic Annual 3003: Earth Edition (Paperback)
by Karl Kofoed (Author)

Book Description
The Editors of Galactic Geographic proudly present this new annual, a
handsome collectors’ volume containing the magazine’s most exciting
articles and artwork, some depicting our species’ advance through the
Galaxy alongside our companions in the Galactic Federation. These
extended features—on cosmic mysteries and alien creatures—are
gorgeously illustrated by a master hand.

Andre
Old April 17th 08, 07:03 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Bill Higgins wrote:
In contemplating the *A.D.2063* book discussed on the Paleo-Future
blog at http://www.paleofuture.com/2008/04/2063-ad-book-1963.html

Oh, this I've _got_ to read. :-)
Thanks for the link to that website.

, I was reminded of another book General Dynamics put out. But I
can't remember the title.

I've heard of this, but can't remember the.....wait....THE BIG BOOK!
Ron Miller's "The Dream Machines"!
(ten minutes later)
Ah-ha! December 1988! General Dynamics publishes "Planetary Explorer
'The Emigrant Trail' Special Edition, Volume 49, Number 4, December, 2038."

Pat

Old April 17th 08, 07:11 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:.

I've heard of this, but can't remember the.....wait....THE BIG BOOK!
Ron Miller's "The Dream Machines"!
(ten minutes later)
Ah-ha! December 1988! General Dynamics publishes "Planetary Explorer
'The Emigrant Trail' Special Edition, Volume 49, Number 4, December,
2038."

http://www.cyberattic.com/stores/Don...yberattic.html

Pat
Old April 17th 08, 11:05 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bill Higgins

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Pat Flannery wrote:

Bill Higgins wrote:
In contemplating the *A.D.2063* book discussed on the Paleo-Future blog at
http://www.paleofuture.com/2008/04/2063-ad-book-1963.html

Oh, this I've _got_ to read. :-)
Thanks for the link to that website.

It's definitely your kind of site. Matt Novak coined "paleofuture," which
is a perfect word.

I've heard of this, but can't remember the.....wait....THE BIG BOOK! Ron
Miller's "The Dream Machines"!
(ten minutes later)
Ah-ha! December 1988! General Dynamics publishes "Planetary Explorer 'The
Emigrant Trail' Special Edition, Volume 49, Number 4, December, 2038."

Bingo! Thanks to you, and thanks to Ron Miller. I have passed this
information on to Matt Novak.

--
Bill Higgins | "It would doubtless be incorrect to suggest that
Fermilab | Buck Rogers, motion picture space queens, and box-top
| disintegrator guns would not have evolved without him,
| but all of them in fact germinated in a thick mulch
Internet: | of Martians, space ships, galactic empires, and robots