Observing Record May 6, 2013

Old May 7th 13, 05:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Steve

Default Observing Record May 6, 2013

2013
Start May 6, 10PM

Equipment:
10" F5 Zhumell Dob
30mm Celestron Ultima: 41x, 1.2 deg
18mm Celestron Ultima: 70x, 0.7 deg (b=140x)
12.5 Celestron Ultima: 100x, 0.5 deg (b=200x)
2x Celestron Ultima Shorty Barlow

M104 - Virgo Galaxy
M61 - Virgo Galaxy
M49 - Virgo Galaxy
M65 - Leo Galaxy
M66 - Leo Galaxy
NGC3268 - Leo Galaxy
M95 - Leo Galaxy
M96 - Leo Galaxy
M105 - Leo Galaxy
M53 - Coma Bernices Globular Cluster
M3 - Canes Venatici Globuar Cluster
M13 - Hercules Globular Cluster
M5 - Serpens Caput Globular Cluster

Saturn - 140x
- Tethys, Dione, Titan, Rhea, Mimas (blinked averted), Encelade

Stop May 7, 12:15 AM
-------
Steve P

Old May 7th 13, 11:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ben[_3_]

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:25:03 AM UTC-4, Steve wrote:
[...]

There's a bunch of my old friends I haven't seen in a while. Carry on, Steve.
Old May 8th 13, 02:53 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Steve

On 5/7/2013 6:35 AM, Ben wrote:

M104 - Virgo Galaxy
M61 - Virgo Galaxy
M49 - Virgo Galaxy
M65 - Leo Galaxy
M66 - Leo Galaxy
NGC3268 - Leo Galaxy
M95 - Leo Galaxy
M96 - Leo Galaxy
M105 - Leo Galaxy
M53 - Coma Bernices Globular Cluster
M3 - Canes Venatici Globuar Cluster
M13 - Hercules Globular Cluster
M5 - Serpens Caput Globular Cluster
-------

Steve P

There's a bunch of my old friends I haven't seen in a while. Carry on, Steve.

Thanks Ben. Will do.

I'd like to mention the green laser pointer I'm using as a finder.
Should have done that ages ago. Like shooting fish in a barrel. No neck
strain, no fancy computerized gadgets. Just look at the chart, source
your target, press the button, aim with the laser, release button and
poof, there it is within the 1.2 degree field of the 30mm Ultima (or
otherwise very near at any rate). Nice and fast.

I have regular air traffic in the vicinity, so I have to be cautious. I
don't find that an inconvenience in any way though. Plane flies over, I
just wait. I saw a story about a local guy that got busted for
disrupting a pilot, and he got nailed really hard. Like, serious life
changing penalties. Good enough example for me to be damn careful with
the thing.

Old May 8th 13, 05:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 6:53:29 PM UTC-7, Steve wrote:

I'd like to mention the green laser pointer I'm using as a finder.

Should have done that ages ago. Like shooting fish in a barrel. No neck

strain, no fancy computerized gadgets. Just look at the chart, source

your target, press the button, aim with the laser, release button and

poof, there it is within the 1.2 degree field of the 30mm Ultima (or

otherwise very near at any rate). Nice and fast.

I have regular air traffic in the vicinity, so I have to be cautious. I

don't find that an inconvenience in any way though. Plane flies over, I

just wait. I saw a story about a local guy that got busted for

disrupting a pilot, and he got nailed really hard. Like, serious life

changing penalties. Good enough example for me to be damn careful with

the thing.

Green lasers are banned at most star parties these days because the imagers who attend are certain that they can ruin their astrophotos. I do not know if it is true or not, but that is the case. However, I still use mine early in the evening, before it gets truly dark, to point out things to newbies in attendance. They work very well for this purpose.

\Paul A