Jupiter triple transit right now?!

Old June 20th 05, 08:47 PM
Jim

Default Jupiter triple transit right now?!

If I've got XEphem setup correctly (and I may have the time off by an
hour) then there's a triple shadow transit on Jupiter around 9.30ish
tonight.

Typical.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
"The voices that control me from inside my head say I shouldn't kill
Old June 20th 05, 08:49 PM
Jim

Jim wrote:

If I've got XEphem setup correctly (and I may have the time off by an
hour) then there's a triple shadow transit on Jupiter around 9.30ish
tonight.

Correction - a double transit + a shadow transit.

Jim
Old June 20th 05, 08:52 PM
Jim

Jim wrote:

If I've got XEphem setup correctly (and I may have the time off by an
hour) then there's a triple shadow transit on Jupiter around 9.30ish
tonight.

Correction - a double transit + a shadow transit.

Addition to the correction - at about 22:00 there should be a double
transit + a double shadow transit. Always assuming that my time offset
is correct, something I'm not too sure of.

Jim
Old June 20th 05, 10:31 PM
Norman Silverstone

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:52:30 +0100, Jim wrote:

Jim wrote:

If I've got XEphem setup correctly (and I may have the time off by an
hour) then there's a triple shadow transit on Jupiter around 9.30ish
tonight.

Correction - a double transit + a shadow transit.

Addition to the correction - at about 22:00 there should be a double
transit + a double shadow transit. Always assuming that my time offset
is correct, something I'm not too sure of.

I had a look using skymap and there was a very interesting set as you
describe at about 21,25

Norman

Old June 20th 05, 11:03 PM
Jim

Jim wrote:

If I've got XEphem setup correctly (and I may have the time off by an
hour) then there's a triple shadow transit on Jupiter around 9.30ish
tonight.

Correction - a double transit + a shadow transit.

Addition to the correction - at about 22:00 there should be a double
transit + a double shadow transit. Always assuming that my time offset
is correct, something I'm not too sure of.

I had a look using skymap and there was a very interesting set as you
describe at about 21,25

I suspect you may not have adjusted for BST.

I've just come in from watching this with my Europa 250 - it was a very
interesting experience. At about 22:20 I had two shadow transits (one
[Io] almost central, one [Europa] just starting) and one emergence (Io)
with another (Europa) a few minutes later. Bloody wonderful. Shortly
before the first emergence I was _just_ able to detect the moons on the
face of Jupiter as two slightly lighter spots. The seeing was rather
good (between 7 and 8/10) with just a hint of a breeze to shake the
'scope ever-so-slightly from time to time. The 'scope had almost
certainly not cooled down fully as I'd only set up 30 mins prior to
starting (21:00 ish, starting 30 mins later).

Tried a type 80A filter (light blue) but on this occasion I found the
view without the filter to be better. I used 25mm, 20mm and 15mm e/ps
mated to a Televue x5 adaptor to give me x240, x300 and x400. The seeing
stood up to x400 surprisingly well, but x300 was the best allround.

Jim
--
Find me at http://www.ursaminorbeta.co.uk AIM/iChatAV: JCAndrew2
Lost: Stack Pointer. Small reward offered if found.