Need help -- Wheelchair bound friend interested in astronomy

Old February 4th 05, 05:33 PM

Default Need help -- Wheelchair bound friend interested in astronomy

Hey all-

I have a friend who has expressed interest in getting started in
astronomy. He is wheelchair bound. This unfortunately limits what types
of scopes and mount designs he could use. I was thinking that a
parallelogram type mount with some big binocs or a 4" refractor would
work as it would keep the scope/bino away from the tripod, giving the
necessary clearance, plus he could easily share his views with others
that are standing. I was wondering if anyone out there is or knows of
somebody in the same situation that could give me some tips or
suggestions. Thanks.

Matt

Old February 4th 05, 10:14 PM
Roger Hamlett

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey all-

I have a friend who has expressed interest in getting started in
astronomy. He is wheelchair bound. This unfortunately limits what types
of scopes and mount designs he could use. I was thinking that a
parallelogram type mount with some big binocs or a 4" refractor would
work as it would keep the scope/bino away from the tripod, giving the
necessary clearance, plus he could easily share his views with others
that are standing. I was wondering if anyone out there is or knows of
somebody in the same situation that could give me some tips or
suggestions. Thanks.

Matt

It'll depend massively on the site, the nature of your friend's actual
mobility, and how hard he/she, wants to see.
I have a friend who is paraplegic, yet manages to set up a Newtonian, on a
slightly shortened pier, himself, and use it pretty well (but on a
restricted part of the sky). The 'key' for him, is that the pier allows
him to come in close to the centre without problems. Though the pier is
slightly shortened, it is still tall enough for other to use as well.
Tripods generally are an obvious problem, as you have obviously realised.
If the friend is happy to observe from a fixed location, see if you can
get/arrange a pier. Stabilised binoculars also may work well.

Best Wishes

Old February 4th 05, 11:14 PM
starlord

If he was to start with Bino's, at the 2001 RTMC I saw a mount that used a
lawn chair, something along those lines could be made to work with a
wheelchair and might also work with something like a short refactor too.

I saw an article in S&T I think it was where a reflector was set up on a EQ
mount and a computer controled it and the view was shown on a monitor via a
ccd on the scope itself, this was for a wheelchair user too.

--

SIAR
www.starlords.org

Old February 5th 05, 01:06 AM
Alexander Avtanski

Hi Matt,

wrote:
Hey all-

I have a friend who has expressed interest in getting started in
astronomy. He is wheelchair bound. This unfortunately limits what types
of scopes and mount designs he could use. I was thinking that a
parallelogram type mount with some big binocs or a 4" refractor would
work as it would keep the scope/bino away from the tripod, giving the
necessary clearance, plus he could easily share his views with others
that are standing. I was wondering if anyone out there is or knows of
somebody in the same situation that could give me some tips or
suggestions. Thanks.

Matt

It depends on the level of mobility of your friend, but something
like the Orion's StarBlast may work very well for him. He can put it
on a table and scan a pretty large part of the sky while sitting in
the wheelchair. This DOES require some significant upper-body
mobility, however.

Alternatively, some simple tray can be devised to be put between
the armrests of the wheelchair. The StarBlast can sit on this tray.
This will also require some upper-body mobility, but much less than
if using a table.

If he is just starting in astronomy, probably he would not want to
invest a lot of money in something that he may eventually find not
to enjoy. The StarBlast costs only $169, and Orion have 30 day "no
questions asked" return polict. Finally, all the setup (especially
with the tray) could be done with one hand in less than a minute.

Regards,

- Alex
Old February 5th 05, 12:46 PM
DH

I think a good pair of binoculars on a parallelogram mount would be the
best ideal. You might have to extend the arms out and add a bit more of
a counter weight to clear the wheel chair. Heck even those Jim's Mobile
reverse binoculars would be a good powerful choice.

Old February 5th 05, 05:14 PM

DH wrote:
I think a good pair of binoculars on a parallelogram mount would be

the
best ideal.

I agree. It seems the best choice for beginning astronomy and from a
required seated position would be a binocular on a parallelogram mount.
You could not use a straight-on view Pgram like the Virgo mounts.
That would prevent moving the view side-to-side without moving the
chair. It would be necessary to use a side view Pgram like the
Universal Astronomics Unimount Light.
http://www.universalastronomics.com/

The Unimount Light Basic would be an excellent choice and could be used
with many different sizes of binoculars. As the passion grows and the
desire for a larger binocular takes over, the mount would be sufficient
for anything up to probably 20x80s. No need to consider any
modifications to the counterweights. They are adjustable to accomodate
a wide range. It can be mounted on a variety of tripods ranging from
Bogen 3211 legs to Orion Paragon HDX to a Surveyor's tripod. I have
used all three as platforms. None get in the way of a chair for seated
viewing. This mount can be used with small scopes.

One thing you need for seated binocular viewing is the articulated
deluxe binocular L adapter. It allows the binoculars to swivel, like
an airplane tilting it's wings. This may seem superfluous, but it is a
real necessity when looking off to the sides. And this is the critical
motion that will allow seated viewing of a wide area without moving the
chair.

edz

Old February 6th 05, 05:16 AM

Just to clarify, my friend is quite mobile. Im not sure where his
paralysis begins, but he drives his own car and jockeys himself in and
out like a pro. His wheelchair knocks down into a few pieces and he
hauls it into the car. So, he is fairly mobile, especially in the upper
body, and he is strong, probably more than most of us that can walk.

Ultimately it is up to him. I suggested the pat "get a good pair of
7x50 binos and a couple of books and learn the sky." I think the idea
of a UniLight mount from UA as it can accomidate binos, refractors and
even an 8" SCT. I just wonder about stablizing it during setup (ie
putting on the counterwieght, then the tube, etc)

Matt