what's happend to Rod Mollise??

Old February 1st 05, 09:28 PM
CLT

Aren't you going to tell us what your son has against Rod Mollise?

Davoud

Nothing that I know of.

Maybe he's a Yankee. And yes, that is a separate word by itself!

;-)

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

Are you interested in understanding optics?

************************************

Old February 1st 05, 10:24 PM
Tim Auton

"Axel" wrote:

It does not cost anything and is very easy to read and post
via Google (formerly Dejanews).

I don't see traditional pay newsreaders surviving for much longer
competing against Google. Besides the free service and the ability to
post from anywhere, bigger advantages IMO are the extensive Usenet
archive search capabilities and of course the overall speed of viewing
the threads, much quicker than any newsreader I've ever seen.

Your news server must really, really, really suck. Even reading
on-line usenet is faster for me than google groups. Usually I just
download messages en-masse, in which case the next message appears
instantly when I press "n".

Tim
--
This is not my signature.
Old February 2nd 05, 12:11 AM
Axel

Even reading on-line usenet is faster for me than google groups.

Sounds like something's wrong with your web browser; loading an entire
thread plus tree in Groups usually takes less than half a second.
-
Cheers,
Ritesh

Old February 2nd 05, 12:27 AM
Axel

I find the primitive text editing capabilities and lack of
configurability of web interfaces to be a massive drawback.

I'm curious, what does one need advanced text editing for in order to
post on Usenet?? AFAIK, Usenet is all in ASCII anyway and fonts,
colors, styles, etc are not applicable?
Agreed on the configurability.

Cheers,
Ritesh

Old February 2nd 05, 12:31 AM
Tim Auton

"Axel" wrote:

Even reading on-line usenet is faster for me than google groups.

Sounds like something's wrong with your web browser; loading an entire
thread plus tree in Groups usually takes less than half a second.

Half a second is too long, I prefer interactive applications.

Tim
--
This is not my signature.
Old February 2nd 05, 01:08 AM
Tim Auton

"Axel" wrote:

I find the primitive text editing capabilities and lack of
configurability of web interfaces to be a massive drawback.

I'm curious, what does one need advanced text editing for in order to
post on Usenet?? AFAIK, Usenet is all in ASCII anyway and fonts,
colors, styles, etc are not applicable?

Is search and replace or a spell check too much to ask?

Tim
--
This is not my signature.
Old February 2nd 05, 01:25 AM
CLT

Is search and replace or a spell check too much to ask?

I'm going to look at transitioning to a different reader, but I couldn't
survive without my spill checker.

Clear Skies

Old February 8th 05, 01:02 PM
Uwe Schürkamp

On 1 Feb 2005 06:05:05 -0800, RMOLLISE wrote:

If you can't see my posts, you won't see this...I guess...but maybe
someone will copy it to you. The problem MAY be, that I have recently
had to begin posting using Google Groups (i.e. Deja) rather than AOL.
AOL is phasing out their Usenet service, and their database is hosed.
So, until I can organize myself to get another ISP...

Hi Rod,

there's a free news server for personal use available he

news.individual.de

Just send them an email with your name and email address and they'll
send you a username / password.

all the best,

uwe

--
GPG Fingerprint: 2E 13 20 22 9A 3F 63 7F 67 6F E9 B1 A8 36 A4 61