Is a Space Elevator more risky than the shuttle?

Old September 11th 03, 10:55 PM
E.R.

Default Is a Space Elevator more risky than the shuttle?

(Aaron Desilet) wrote in message . com...
I was just curious about this whole space elevator situation. How
exactly would they get this nanotube attached from space to the
ground. Would it be dropped in a way? Or flown up?

Go here -
http://www.isr.us/Downloads/niac_pdf/contents.html - and
read chapter 4: Deployment.

flights, and assembled in orbit. The biter end is gently wafted down
from orbit to an anchor. This ribbon is capable of supporting itself,
and not much else. From the anchor climbers ascend the ribbon,
'welding' more ribbon to give the needed taper and strength. 200 or
so climbers later, you've got a cargo-bearing SE.

Warning: this summary is of course lacking detail and may be grossly
wrong on fine points.

~er

Old September 11th 03, 11:30 PM
Pat Flannery

E.R. wrote:

flights, and assembled in orbit. The biter end is gently wafted down
from orbit to an anchor. This ribbon is capable of supporting itself,
and not much else. From the anchor climbers ascend the ribbon,
'welding' more ribbon to give the needed taper and strength. 200 or
so climbers later, you've got a cargo-bearing SE.

Warning: this summary is of course lacking detail and may be grossly
wrong on fine points.

Now that I've read more about it, the idea is actually beginning to
appeal to me a bit...it certainly is a revolutionary approach, and that
may be just what we need to accomplish our goals in space.

Pat

Old September 12th 03, 03:25 PM
Aaron Desilet

(E.R.) wrote in message . com...
(Aaron Desilet) wrote in message . com...
I was just curious about this whole space elevator situation. How
exactly would they get this nanotube attached from space to the
ground. Would it be dropped in a way? Or flown up?

Go here -
http://www.isr.us/Downloads/niac_pdf/contents.html - and
read chapter 4: Deployment.

flights, and assembled in orbit. The biter end is gently wafted down
from orbit to an anchor. This ribbon is capable of supporting itself,
and not much else. From the anchor climbers ascend the ribbon,
'welding' more ribbon to give the needed taper and strength. 200 or
so climbers later, you've got a cargo-bearing SE.

Warning: this summary is of course lacking detail and may be grossly
wrong on fine points.

~er

Chapter 5 but thank you that explains it very well. I will read these
websites you guys provided.

Old September 14th 03, 01:05 AM
Henry J. Cobb

Interesting article from The Guardian on the concept.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/spacedocum...041360,00.html
"At about a third of the way along the cable - 36,000km from Earth -
objects take a year to complete a full orbit."

Er, yes, around the sun at least. ;-)

-HJC

Old September 14th 03, 03:25 PM
Pascal Bourguignon

(Henry J. Cobb) writes:

Interesting article from The Guardian on the concept.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/spacedocum...041360,00.html
"At about a third of the way along the cable - 36,000km from Earth -
objects take a year to complete a full orbit."

Er, yes, around the sun at least. ;-)

If he was able to know what he's writting about, he would be doing
something else than journalism.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/

Old September 20th 03, 03:58 AM
geo

Brilliant! But how could you leave out Mothra??? Mothra is the key to the
whole thing.

Natural Light Black and White Photography
http://mysite.verizon.net/geost/
-George-

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Aaron Desilet wrote:

I was just curious about this whole space elevator situation. How
exactly would they get this nanotube attached from space to the
ground. Would it be dropped in a way? Or flown up?

We use a spinning super conducting disk to generate an antigravity
field, which then levitates the nanotubes upwards...no, wait... we dig a
giant cannon barrel into the ground at the equator and with the aid of
The Baltimore Gun Club, we shoot the upper end into geosynchronous
orbit...no, wait...a flock of eagles on it's yearly migration to the
Moon carries the...no,wait...we tie a bottle of dew to the end, and as
the sun rises, it starts to pull...Baron Munchausen reaches down from

Old September 20th 03, 09:56 PM
Pat Flannery

geo wrote:

Brilliant! But how could you leave out Mothra??? Mothra is the key to the
whole thing.

The Giant Mileworm will grow into a moth that will even dwarf Mothra
given enough time.... and a place to put it's cocoon- say the slopes of
Mt. Kilimanjaro. Then the aerial giant can be used to bring construction
materials for future elevator sites to widely separated points on the
Earth's equator as well as carry tourists on exotic sightseeing flights
to areas normally inaccessible to airline traffic- say the North Pole.
The real pay-off on this aspect of the operation is you can make a
fortune when you reveal to the passengers that the ticket cost only
covered the flight _to_ the exotic destination, and not the return from
there... so you can either pony up around $10,000....or you had better
hope that Santa is looking for some new workers; and that you are under
five feet in height and look good dressed in green.

Pat

Old September 24th 03, 02:23 AM
Brad Guth

(Henry J. Cobb) wrote in message . com...
Would a Space Elevator
http://flightprojects.msfc.nasa.gov/fd02_elev.html be a greater risk
to human life per mission than the current space shuttle?

While the risk of failure on any one trip would be less, when the rope
breaks it'll wrap around the Earth and strike several cities rather
than burning up a half dozen astronauts.

-HJC

If those multi-hundred billion dollar CNT tethers are unaffected by
the Van Allen zone of death (little or no long term degrade from
massive radiation plus solar maximum flux of just about everything
nasty you can think of), unaffected by atmospheric jet-streams, able
to dodge a thousand or so satellites and of another hundred thousand
or so smaller debris items and, unaffected by whatever a few GJ worth
of lighting strikes might induce and, above all else there's no
Taliban running amuck, then by all means we'll be a whole lot safer
off using the multi-trillion dollar ESE.

BTW: I've added another one of those testy SE pages having something
positive to do with that damn moon of ours, this time more
specifically on the topic of the LSE lunar tether GPa, where I'm
seriously wondering if any LSE tether even needs 3 GPa. As I learn
more specifics from others (hopefully smarter than myself), I'll make
those corrections and share whatever the outcome.
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-lse-gpa.htm

Regards, Brad Guth / IEIS~GASA / Discovery of the other LIFE on Venus
LSE UPDATES: http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-cm-ccm-01.htm

Old October 4th 03, 02:06 AM
Brad Guth

(Henry J. Cobb) wrote in message . com...
Would a Space Elevator
http://flightprojects.msfc.nasa.gov/fd02_elev.html be a greater risk
to human life per mission than the current space shuttle?

While the risk of failure on any one trip would be less, when the rope
breaks it'll wrap around the Earth and strike several cities rather
than burning up a half dozen astronauts.

-HJC

There's actually darn little contest here. Since the first prototype
ESE isn't likely for a couple of decades, then mostly for continuing
tether repairs and of delivering a few expendable robotic missions, as
otherwise shuttle like craft will have to do the task of moving folks
to/from space. Perhaps 5 decades from now we'll have those spendy
(multi-trillion dollar) ESE(s) capable of doing the task instead of a
shuttle craft. Thanks but no thanks, I'll pass.

Though instead of focusing upon such a rather spendy ESE, or even the
likes of a relatively cheap rotovator technology, how about
reconsidering as a compromise upon a Lunar Space Elevator (LSE), that
which could have been initially developed and deployed a decade ago?

If the moon is mostly of basalt, as it perhaps should be, then of
whatever bulk is required for sustaining humans in space, whether
that's of simply mass for spacecraft shielding (abating radiation as
well as improving impact resistance) or of EMPD propulsion fuel
considerations, I believe this substance is in fact available from the
moon, and of affordably accommodating such within the LSE-CM/ISS is
perhaps just the ticket, as in right here and now, not of some
horrifically spendy day decades from now and solely dependent upon
those CNT fibers taking the heat as well as the radiation as well as
whatever other solar flak, not to forget about the year after year of
dodging a few hundred thousand other not so insignificant objects in
it's path (add up the total ESE tether surface exposure and do the
math).

We can get ourselves to/from the moon rather quickly these days, thus
a timeline of potentially lethal exposure to the mostly solar
radiation has become somewhat limited, and thereby survivable within
minimal shielding, as in terms of hours to perhaps a few days worth,
unless of course you've got 341 g/cm of something surrounding your
butt, as then you can tolerate some extended mission related travel
time without having all of your DNA/RNA chopped into bits by various
TBI worthy radiation issues, that's not even to mention significant
erosion if not through-holes as a result of your impacting with a
grain of sand, of which without sufficient shielding density is
exactly where life as we know it becomes downright difficult, and/or
subsequently where your own immune system proceeds to further
irradicate yourself from within, whereas I believe there are known
limits to what having banked bone marrow can achieve.

I've learned that sending technology efficient robotic missions off
into a lunar orbit is apparently a whole lot easier if not more energy
efficient than establishing most any Earth GSO, of which I suppose
that includes the likes of Earth L2 or L1, as those positions being
more complicated and more energy and/or time consuming in order to
establish, whereas as sending robotics off to visit a LSE-CM/ISS is
not only efficiently doable but highly beneficial, especially once
docked and/or snagged by the LSE-CM/ISS robotics and/or crew, as this
is obviously where the final mission configuration outfitting could
take place, as well as applied shielding of mostly moon dirt and/or
basalt rock, and whatever refuel.

What we can't seem to afford to deliver directly into space from
Earth, at least not without creating great amounts of global warming
CO2 for Earth, is that of any sufficient mass of radiation shielding,
and/or of just offering sufficient physical shield density for
surviving micro impacts that are more than a wee bit testy issues for
human space flights, along with there being anything leftover for the
likes of spare fuel, beer and pizza. Eventually, decades from now,
after spending perhaps trillions, the ESE(s) will most likely become
capable of accommodating those deliveries of such mass. Though most
any ESE should be more efficient than rockets, the overall process
still offers a significant CO2 impact for Earth, not to mention an
ongoing maintenance, defense of and logistics fiasco along with a list
of "what if's" that should keep all of us on our toes.

This latest ESE/LSE report/argument needs a whole lot of work, as well
as it could use your input plus lots more expertise, as well as
medications on my behalf. Within this delivery, I'm discussing or at
least attempting to convey upon the pro/con issues of the ESE/LSE,
though obviously I'm thoroughly confused and disorientated as usual,
as I can actually foresee others and even myself being snookered
again, just like those grand old Apollo cold-war days, along with all
the dog wagging on steroids, plus all of that being so nicely packaged
into the sorts of top notch NASA/NOVA produced and/or moderated
infomercials that'll knock your socks off.

Since I'm no good at telling my stories, I may have to get myself back
into this one, polish it up and otherwise continue to share in
whatever I've learned, as well as sharing whatever warm and fuzzy
favor returning that I can think of, as I'm certain of those opposing
or silently playing along, or perhaps they're pretending at their
playing "hide and seek" because, in reality these folks may actually
be dumber than dumb (that's merely arrogance without being smart
enough for realizing it), but obviously those folks would otherwise
expect nothing less from my perspective. So, I'll keep trying to
oblige.

I've accomplished this effort as yet another of my poor deliveries on
the PRO/CON issues of the ESE/LSE. Have yourself a look-see, a few
laughs at the expense of humanity, then give me some of that "all
knowing" feedback and even flak if that's all you've got. Of course,
what's mostly in need are specific numbers, of doable "what ifs" and
of whatever inventions you can devise upon, applicable for either the
ESE or LSE. Actually the ESE needs a whole lot more help and of
trillions more of your hard earned money than my LSE, but I'll
certainly take whatever you've got, even if it's just ESE leftovers.
PRO/CON ESE/LSE: http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-ese-lse.htm

Regards, Brad Guth / IEIS~GASA / the discovery of other LIFE on Venus
Besides way too many other topics, here's other ongoing LSE UPDATES:
Basalt tether update: http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-lse-gpa.htm
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-cm-ccm-01.htm
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-edwards-se.htm
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/gv-se-flywheels.htm