Questionable Venus Surface Photograps

Old September 7th 03, 01:40 AM
Flying _Naked_People

pinkling wrote in article
. net...
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 19:39:23 -0000 in
, "Flying _Naked_People"
http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm graced the world with this
thought:

If I told you my car runs by little gremlins, would you be dumb enough to
believe it just because I took a picture of the car?

The important thing is, do you believe it?

Why would that be important?

Old September 7th 03, 01:41 AM
Flying _Naked_People

pinkling wrote in article
et...
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:11:19 -0000 in
, "Flying _Naked_People"
http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm graced the world with this
thought:

And that's a damn shame, cause gremlins DON'T EXIST.

can you supply us some proof of that?

I'm not talking to you anymore.

Old September 7th 03, 01:47 AM
Flying _Naked_People

Why does NASA have to "colorize" its photographs?

David Langlois --- Ball serves Baal -sex wrote in
article ...
Here's one: at which website would we find the best possible versions of the
Venusian surface images? Most I've seen were crappy but I have seen colored
ones with the fish-eye effect minimized.

David

Old September 7th 03, 02:08 AM
Ron Miller

First thing: They aren't "colorized". Second thing: the Venus surface
pictures were not taken by NASA.

You seem incensed by any suggestion that you are looking for some sort of
"conspiracy", but it is your own fault. You persist in taking an
argumentative stance, pushing for something anomalous where there is no
anomaly.

RM

"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in
message ...

Old September 7th 03, 03:03 AM
Bill Duncan

In article , Ron Miller
wrote:

First thing: They aren't "colorized". Second thing: the Venus surface
pictures were not taken by NASA.

What's the melting point of crayons?Bill.

Old September 7th 03, 03:06 AM
Painius

"pinkling" wrote in message...
nk.net...

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:11:19 -0000 in
, "Flying _Naked_People"
http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm graced the world with this
thought:

And that's a damn shame, cause gremlins DON'T EXIST.

can you supply us some proof of that?

Yeah, because i seem to get some in my computer from
time to time!

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
Tender is my love for thee
Oh star so close at hand,

It's so easy to believe
In all this beachin' fun,
That some day you and i will be--
Altogether one.

Paine Ellsworth

Old September 7th 03, 04:12 AM
Flying _Naked_People

Ron Miller wrote in article
First thing: They aren't "colorized".

Bull****! NASA even **admits** their photos are colorized! Are you insane?

Second thing: the Venus surface
pictures were not taken by NASA.

So? One of my left socks is red.

You seem incensed by any suggestion that you are looking for some sort of
"conspiracy", but it is your own fault. You persist in taking an
argumentative stance, pushing for something anomalous where there is no
anomaly.

RM

You seem incensed that I ask questions you can't answer.

Old September 7th 03, 08:32 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Flying _Naked_People
writes
pinkling wrote in article
. net...
On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:11:19 -0000 in
, "Flying _Naked_People"
http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm graced the world with this
thought:

And that's a damn shame, cause gremlins DON'T EXIST.

can you supply us some proof of that?

I'm not talking to you anymore.

Little child. "I'm not playing any more". You arrive on this newsgroup
with a silly name and a lot of silly questions, and you don't like the
answers.
Here's an unambiguous expression you probably haven't heard of.
Plonk.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 7th 03, 12:12 PM
Ron Miller

"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in
message ...
Ron Miller wrote in article
First thing: They aren't "colorized".

Bull****! NASA even **admits** their photos are colorized! Are you insane?

No. You are confusing "colorization"---where a black and white image has
color artificially and arbitrarily added to it by hand, more or less like
someone might tint an old photo---with NASA's use of color enhancement,
where the colors in an exisiting color image are manipulated---enhanced---to
bring out certain features. For instance, by increasing the contrast in a
photo, features can be seen that would be otherwise invisible. Colorization
and color enhancement are two quite different processes.

You seem incensed that I ask questions you can't answer.

Who says they can't be answered? A little more research plus a phone call to
Charles Vick (the leading authority on the Soviet space program, who,
fortunately, lives only a few miles from here), revealed this: The Venera
spacecraft were constructed of pretty much the same materials as most other
Soviet spacecraft---and US spacecraft, too, for that matter. These materials
included (and I've added their melting points in degrees F) stainless steel
(2550), aluminum (1218), copper (1981), titanium (3263), tungsten (6150),
various lightweight copper, magnesium and aluminum alloys (all with melting
points well over 1000), silicon (about 2605 depending the compound), quartz
(for the camera windows---2912) and assorted ceramics. There was no film in
the cameras---they were video. As has been pointed out to you already (and
repeatedly at that), the main protection to the spacecraft was not the
materials used in its construction but the special cooling system built into
it to shield the instruments. And even that managed to last only a few
minutes.

I hope this answers your question.

RM

Old September 7th 03, 12:21 PM
Jarmo Korteniemi

Once upon a time (Sun, 07 Sep 2003 00:47:50 -0000)
Flying _Naked_People took a deep breath and said:
Why does NASA have to "colorize" its photographs?

*All* the space agencies / organisations which take pictures from
space colorize the pictures taken (if they are in greyscale). Or,
in fact, only some of the images. Anyway, this is done for several
rather good reasons:

1) PR value. Grayscale images = boring, color = interesting. They
sell better. They interest the public and the press more. They
make a person's imagination flow more.
2) Seeing images in "kind-of-real-color" gives the scientists a
"kind-of-real-life" experience of the imaged areas. Makes the
imagination flow again and interpretation easier.
3) Combinations can reveal more details than individual separate
images. See below:

Two images taken from the same area in two separate
wavelengths reveal much detail even individually...

--------------------- ---------------------
| | | CCCCC |
| XXXXXXX | | AAAAAAA CCCCC |
| XXXXXXXZZZZZZ | | AAAAAAACCCCBCC |
| XXXXXXXZZZZZZ | | AAAAAAACCCCBCC |
| ZZZZ ZZZZZZ | | AAAA CCCBBCC |
| ZZZZ ZZZZZZ | | AAAA CCCBCCC |
| ZZZZ ZZZZZZ | | AAAA CCCBCCC |
| ZZZZ ZZZZZZ | | CCCBCCC |
--------------------- ---------------------

....but combining them shows many more units which can
not be recognized from individual images.

---------------------
| NNNNN |
| MMMMMMM NNNNN |
| MMMMMMMPPPPqPP |
| MMMMMMMPPPPqPP |
| OOOO PPPqqPP |
| OOOO PPPqPPP |
| OOOO PPPqPPP |
| PPPqPPP |
---------------------

The only thing often forgotten about these images is that when
you see one, it looks natural... but in fact it is often a
combination of pictures taken in wavelengths we can not see. For
example, if the camera isn't equipped with a red filter but "sees"
only in IR - the "red" we see in the image is in fact taken in
the IR band. And so on and so on... But it is often close to the
real thing. Educated guesses, you know...

Jarmo

Jarmo Korteniemi

* Planetology group, Astronomy, University of Oulu, Finland
* DLR (The German Aerospace Center), Berlin
- Institute of Space Sensor Technology and Planetary Exploration

* email: jarmo DOT korteniemi AT oulu DOT fi
* tel: +358 (045) 6362264

Do you believe in astrology? Jupiter exerts less gravitational influence
over a human body than does an angry rhino less than two meters away...