Questionable Venus Surface Photograps

Old September 6th 03, 05:54 AM
Flying _Naked_People

Default Questionable Venus Surface Photograps

Hi Starlord.

Those are some interesting facts indeed, however, they did not address my
concern.

I would like to know *how* this is possible (for any amount of minutes)
considering the supposed temperature of the planet, Venus.

Think about it. 870 degrees F?!?!?

Did the Russians use materials stronger than *Lead*? If so, what are those
materials?

How was the probe built? Surely there were wires involved? Were the wires
lead?

How did the probe take pictures? It couldn't have used film!!! Was the film
made out of lead too?

I am not trying to be a smart ass. I really need to understand how this works
because my kids are asking me and they expect me to know damn near
everything!!

:-(

Starlord wrote in article
The russan probe only lasted about 30 mins and only 3 or 4 photos got back,

in
15 mins the camera itself failed and by the end of the 30 mins the whole

thing
failed.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Yuri Chigrin" wrote in message
"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm
сообщил/сообщила в новостях следующее:
Um... if this planet's surface is over 800 degrees (F) and hot enough to

melt
LEAD, how in the hell did Soviet space probes "soft" land on the surface

and
take photographs?????????????

Looks like another conspiracy theory (like so-called "Moon Hoax").

---

Old September 6th 03, 10:41 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Flying _Naked_People
writes
Hi Starlord.

Those are some interesting facts indeed, however, they did not address my
concern.

I would like to know *how* this is possible (for any amount of minutes)
considering the supposed temperature of the planet, Venus.

Think about it. 870 degrees F?!?!?

Did the Russians use materials stronger than *Lead*? If so, what are those
materials?

You have to be kidding - or sadly, perhaps not. Have you ever seen a
spanner made of lead? High-grade steel, ceramics, quartz or perhaps even
diamond for the optics.

How was the probe built? Surely there were wires involved? Were the wires
lead?

Same comment. Copper, probably. Why do you have this fixation with lead?
It's got one of the lowest melting point of any of the metals. They used
a refrigeration system to keep it cool long enough to land and no
parachute so it fell fast enough not to "cook" on the way down.

How did the probe take pictures? It couldn't have used film!!! Was the film
made out of lead too?

Ye gods. It used a type of TV camera, and sent the signals by radio. No
lead involved.
BTW, the US has also landed a probe on Venus and their device wasn't
even intended to land.
All of this has been described in TV documentaries showing the Russians
testing their probes in red-hot simulators.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 6th 03, 12:26 PM
Ron Miller

"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in
message ...
Hi Starlord.

Those are some interesting facts indeed, however, they did not address my
concern.

I would like to know *how* this is possible (for any amount of minutes)
considering the supposed temperature of the planet, Venus.

Have you bothered to actually look up any information about the spacecraft?

Think about it. 870 degrees F?!?!?

Did the Russians use materials stronger than *Lead*? If so, what are those
materials?

Do you, for some reason, think that lead is the strongest, most
heat-resistant metal available?

How was the probe built? Surely there were wires involved? Were the wires
lead?

No, of course not. The interior of the spacecraft was insulated.

How did the probe take pictures? It couldn't have used film!!! Was the

film
made out of lead too?

I am not trying to be a smart ass. I really need to understand how this

works
because my kids are asking me and they expect me to know damn near
everything!!

How about if you set a really good example for your kids and do some actual
research? All of this information is readily available. Do you good to look
it up instead of A. just asking people to give you the answers and B.
arguing with them when they do.

RM

Old September 6th 03, 06:21 PM
Flying _Naked_People

Dilettante wrote in article
. ..
Should images be copyrighted before releasing them to the public in
any way? Once an original image is released, it can be copied. A few
years ago someone copied Salvador Dali's image of the earth as a big
egg from which a man was breaking out. He, still alive then, sued
them. The US copyright office issues copyright forms (VA, I think) for
works in the visual arts.

You should copyright your images as soon as you're finished with them. Sign
your name on the picture with a circled (C) and then the date. If that "bugs"
you, you can do this in a manner that incorporated the text as part of the
picture, or, you can write it on the back.

U.S. forms are not necessary, but beneficial if you have to sue. You can also
take photographs of the artwork and mail them to yourself - but don't open the
envelope until it's necessary to prove that you are the originator of the work
from a certain date.

Dilettante

Old September 6th 03, 06:52 PM
Flying _Naked_People

Sorry - wrong newsgroup!!

Flying _Naked_People http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in article

Old September 6th 03, 08:28 PM
Flying _Naked_People

How does one find out what materials are used to construct these "vehicals" or
"crafts" or whatever.

I can't find a list of ingredients on the web.

See, I think it's dangerous to just accept a successful mission without
questioning the workings of the operation. I notice a lot of "well they could
have used" or "they might have used" etc. etc.

Now I'm not trying to start trouble. I just have to be sure.

For example, I've seen some sort of vehicle on Mars through the dang TV. And
the thing had *wheels* on it!! What were those wheels made out of? Rubber? The
vehical *did* occur rather "bouncy."

They can't put something like that on Venus. Rubber would melt at 300 degrees
or something.

Sally wrote in article

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote in message
spanner made of lead? High-grade steel, ceramics, quartz or perhaps even
diamond for the optics.

It would not have been diamond. Diamond goes brown, then black when heated.
Plain old quartz might work. I agree that there are plenty of materials used
in electronics that will , for a while, function at temperatures higher than
the melting point of lead. In any case, space vehicles during re-entry are
subjected to far higher temperatures and (often) survive.

Sally

Old September 6th 03, 08:33 PM
Douglas A. Shrader

"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in
message ...
How does one find out what materials are used to construct these

"vehicals" or
"crafts" or whatever.

I can't find a list of ingredients on the web.

See, I think it's dangerous to just accept a successful mission without
questioning the workings of the operation. I notice a lot of "well they

could
have used" or "they might have used" etc. etc.

Do you have to understand the workings of a car to accept that they work?

Now I'm not trying to start trouble.

I find that hard to believe.

Old September 6th 03, 08:39 PM
Flying _Naked_People

Douglas A. Shrader wrote in article

"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in
message ...
How does one find out what materials are used to construct these

"vehicals" or
"crafts" or whatever.

I can't find a list of ingredients on the web.

See, I think it's dangerous to just accept a successful mission without
questioning the workings of the operation. I notice a lot of "well they

could
have used" or "they might have used" etc. etc.

Do you have to understand the workings of a car to accept that they work?

Do you have to believe everything you're told?

If I told you my car runs by little gremlins, would you be dumb enough to
believe it just because I took a picture of the car?

Old September 6th 03, 08:53 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Flying _Naked_People
writes
How does one find out what materials are used to construct these "vehicals" or
"crafts" or whatever.

I can't find a list of ingredients on the web.

Common sense would tell you they make these things the same way they
make things on Earth. Strong metals like steel. Very light metals like
beryllium, aluminium and magnesium. Material like quartz for optics
(thanks, Sally, for correcting me about diamond. I recall reading that
one of the US Pioneer probes to Venus had a synthetic diamond window but
can't find my reference)

See, I think it's dangerous to just accept a successful mission without
questioning the workings of the operation. I notice a lot of "well they could
have used" or "they might have used" etc. etc.

Where do you notice this? The sort of web site or book that gets basic
facts about the Moon landing wrong and therefore assumes you (i.e. US
astronauts) didn't go?

For example, I've seen some sort of vehicle on Mars through the dang TV. And
the thing had *wheels* on it!! What were those wheels made out of? Rubber? The
vehical *did* occur rather "bouncy."

They can't put something like that on Venus. Rubber would melt at 300 degrees
or something.

No-one has ever said the Venus landers could move, because they
couldn't. They landed, took some pictures, did a quick analysis of the
surface, and died.

There is an _enormous_ amount of information about the Sojourner rover
and the Mars Exploration Rovers currently on the way. I won't even give
you links because you can find them yourself. If you are interested.
Essentially, they used springy metal wheels on suspensions designed for
rough ground. Each wheel contains a motor.
Old September 6th 03, 08:58 PM
Douglas A. Shrader

"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in
message ...
Douglas A. Shrader wrote in article

"Flying _Naked_People" http://www.rcip.com/nerdgerl/email.htm wrote in
message ...
How does one find out what materials are used to construct these

"vehicals" or
"crafts" or whatever.

I can't find a list of ingredients on the web.

See, I think it's dangerous to just accept a successful mission

without
questioning the workings of the operation. I notice a lot of "well

they
could
have used" or "they might have used" etc. etc.

Do you have to understand the workings of a car to accept that they

work?

Do you have to believe everything you're told?

Unlike you, I'm able to figure things out from the facts presented. Tell me
a lie and I'll see through it. It isn't magic, just intelligence and effort,
and a little research.

If I told you my car runs by little gremlins, would you be dumb enough to
believe it just because I took a picture of the car?

I would do a little simple research and find out the truth, rather than
spouting "I don't know how it could work so it must not be true!!"

Amazing what even a smidgen of effort can reveal if you really have an
interest in something.