Quiet?

Old August 12th 10, 09:15 AM posted to sci.space.history
Obviousman

Default Quiet?

Is it quiet in here or is my newsgroup broken?
Old August 12th 10, 01:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 8/12/2010 12:15 AM, Obviousman wrote:
Is it quiet in here or is my newsgroup broken?

I imagine it's due to who you've killfiled; although once "all the loons
are removed, only the sane will remain" sounds like a good idea, if
there are no sane remaining, then things are going to start reducing in
posting volume pretty quickly. :-D.

Pat
Old August 12th 10, 08:17 PM posted to sci.space.history
Damon Hill[_4_]

Pat Flannery wrote in
news
On 8/12/2010 12:15 AM, Obviousman wrote:
Is it quiet in here or is my newsgroup broken?

I imagine it's due to who you've killfiled; although once "all the loons
are removed, only the sane will remain" sounds like a good idea, if
there are no sane remaining, then things are going to start reducing in
posting volume pretty quickly. :-D.

The only remaining sane people here are you and me and that other guy,
and I'm not so sure about him.

But I think it's just the summer doldrums.

--Damon

Old August 12th 10, 10:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Hop

On Aug 12, 1:15 am, Obviousman wrote:
Is it quiet in here or is my newsgroup broken?

You can go to http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...ry/about?hl=en
and see a decline over time.

The recent months are the lowest numbers and much of the posts are
phishers and spammers as well as the usual loons. In contrast, the
earlier, livelier years were thoughtful posts from the likes of Henry
Spencer, John Schilling, George William Herbert, Rand Simberg, etc.

There are still a few knowledgeable people who occasionally post here.
Jorge, for example. But the low activity and low signal to noise makes
reading this forum a chore.

If you want to discuss space, here are a few options:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/
http://www.bautforum.com/
http://www.space.com/common/forums/i...481cb8ef9bfb5b
http://www.newmars.com/forums/index.php

Regards,

Hop

Old August 13th 10, 12:08 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 13/08/2010 5:17 AM, Damon Hill wrote:
Pat wrote in
news
On 8/12/2010 12:15 AM, Obviousman wrote:
Is it quiet in here or is my newsgroup broken?

I imagine it's due to who you've killfiled; although once "all the loons
are removed, only the sane will remain" sounds like a good idea, if
there are no sane remaining, then things are going to start reducing in
posting volume pretty quickly. :-D.

The only remaining sane people here are you and me and that other guy,
and I'm not so sure about him.

The other guy's sane; it's me you HaVe TO WoRrY AbOuT! BWAAAAHAAAAAHEEEEE!
Old August 13th 10, 05:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:23:40 -0700 (PDT), Hop
wrote:

The recent months are the lowest numbers and much of the posts are
phishers and spammers as well as the usual loons. In contrast, the
earlier, livelier years were thoughtful posts from the likes of Henry
Spencer, John Schilling, George William Herbert, Rand Simberg, etc.

Well, Rand was about 50% worthwhile posts and 50% idealogical
flamewar.

Brian
Old August 13th 10, 09:28 AM posted to sci.space.history
Obviousman

Thanks all!
Old August 13th 10, 03:14 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 8/12/2010 8:22 PM, Brian Thorn wrote:

Well, Rand was about 50% worthwhile posts and 50% idealogical
flamewar.

He sure went off on me about my BA degree in History/Political Science.
Rand is apparently writing an article about SpaceX for that august
engineering technical journal, Popular Mechanics:
http://www.transterrestrial.com/?p=28693

Pat
Old August 13th 10, 10:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Hop

On Aug 12, 9:22 pm, Brian Thorn wrote:

Well, Rand was about 50% worthwhile posts and 50% idealogical
flamewar.

Brian

50% is still about triple the signal to noise ratio of most the
current posters.

Old August 13th 10, 10:48 PM posted to sci.space.history
Hop

On Aug 13, 7:14 am, Pat Flannery wrote:

He sure went off on me about my BA degree in History/Political Science.

(yawn)

gone awfully quiet Brian Gaff Space Station 2 April 17th 08 04:00 AM
A quiet Sun D I Stiller Amateur Astronomy 1 March 7th 07 11:48 PM
The Quiet Sun EP Guy Amateur Astronomy 5 February 21st 06 05:17 AM
the quiet sun Tom Randy Amateur Astronomy 1 October 10th 05 11:45 PM