Solar Activity

Old March 11th 08, 02:10 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Art Martini

Default Solar Activity

I was chatting with a meteorologist the other day and he was telling me that
people in the know are more worried about the lack of Solar activity than in
Global Warming. It appears that long periods of low or no solar activity
can result in major climatical changes such as mini-ice ages. He thinks
that the lack of solar activity could heavily influance the seasons.

Any discussion would be welcome. I would like to find out what other people
think.

Thank you,

Art Martini
Bruneau Dunes Astronomical Observatory
Boise Astronomical Society

Old March 12th 08, 11:15 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Daniel[_8_]

Art Martini wrote:
I was chatting with a meteorologist the other day and he was telling me that
people in the know are more worried about the lack of Solar activity than in
Global Warming. It appears that long periods of low or no solar activity
can result in major climatical changes such as mini-ice ages. He thinks
that the lack of solar activity could heavily influance the seasons.

Any discussion would be welcome. I would like to find out what other people
think.

Thank you,

Art Martini
Bruneau Dunes Astronomical Observatory
Boise Astronomical Society

I've spent a large portion of my working life dealing with long distance
H.F. radio communication. During this time we were made aware that the
level of Sun Spot activity had an effect on the ionization levels of the
ionosphere, and therefore on H.F. communications.

The Sun Spot cycle varies over an approx eleven (11) year cycle, minimum
to maximum to minimum.

Late in my working time, I became aware that there was also an
approximately ninety (90) year super-cycle which applied as well.

There has been some work done (by Gov weather bureau I believe) relating
this 90 year cycle to droughts here in Australia. Australia was in
drought just prior to WW one and again now, so time frame roughly matches.

Daniel

Daniel

Old March 20th 08, 05:26 AM posted to alt.astronomy.solar
Ralph[_3_]

"Art Martini" wrote in message
I was chatting with a meteorologist the other day and he was telling me

that
people in the know are more worried about the lack of Solar activity than

in
Global Warming. It appears that long periods of low or no solar activity
can result in major climatical changes such as mini-ice ages. He thinks
that the lack of solar activity could heavily influance the seasons.

Any discussion would be welcome. I would like to find out what other

people
think.

Thank you,

Art Martini
Bruneau Dunes Astronomical Observatory
Boise Astronomical Society

Here is a general discussion:
http://wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com...sunspots-gone/

The concern at the moment is not that we are at a Solar minimum, we get
there every ~11 years, but that the start of the next cycle is late and
showing a strange 'flatness'. There are recorded periods in history where
climatic cooling appears to coordinate with lack of Sunspots.

We really don't know that much about what the effect of this delay might
mean. AWG - Greenhouse Gases is the predominate theory of most
climatologists, and no one can come up with a plausible mechanism for how
Solar Activity directly effects the planet's climate. We will just have to
wait and see.

-ralph