Don't forget the Perseids

Old August 11th 07, 10:29 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Mike Dworetsky

Default Don't forget the Perseids

Most of you are probably aware of this well-known meteor shower. The 2007
display peaks Sunday night but tonight should be nearly as good. Predicted
sky in the SE, at least, is clear tonight and probably clear Sunday night.
And it is New Moon, so the display should be especially visible. Expect
several fast, bright meteors in just a few minutes of watching. You don't
need to look at the radiant, any part of the sky would do.

However, the higher the radiant in the sky, the more meteors you can expect
per hour, so it will be best after midnight.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Old August 11th 07, 12:37 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Paul L Money

In article , Mike Dworetsky
writes
Most of you are probably aware of this well-known meteor shower. The 2007
display peaks Sunday night but tonight should be nearly as good. Predicted
sky in the SE, at least, is clear tonight and probably clear Sunday night.
And it is New Moon, so the display should be especially visible. Expect
several fast, bright meteors in just a few minutes of watching. You don't
need to look at the radiant, any part of the sky would do.

However, the higher the radiant in the sky, the more meteors you can expect
per hour, so it will be best after midnight.

Last night I managed 22 Perseids in a 3 1/2 hour observing window from
just before midnight and 13 sporadics (I'm sure some of those could be
from the Aquariids though).

Keeping fingers crossed for Sunday night/monday morning , Peak is at 2am
Monday morning.

Regards

Paul
--
For my web site - Astrospace go to http://www.astrospace.co.uk
For Astro holidays that are outathis world go visit the following:
Old August 12th 07, 08:21 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Ian[_3_]

On 11 Aug, 10:29, "Mike Dworetsky"
wrote:
Most of you are probably aware of this well-known meteor shower. The 2007
display peaks Sunday night but tonight should be nearly as good. Predicted
sky in the SE, at least, is clear tonight and probably clear Sunday night.
And it is New Moon, so the display should be especially visible. Expect
several fast, bright meteors in just a few minutes of watching. You don't
need to look at the radiant, any part of the sky would do.

However, the higher the radiant in the sky, the more meteors you can expect
per hour, so it will be best after midnight.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

Clear skies here in Northants last night. Managed to view 12 in a 90
minute session 1115z to 0045z.

Regards

Ian.

Old August 13th 07, 11:54 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Bertie Doe

Clearish last night in Cornwall and managed to spot 10 between 23.30 and
00.30, before some patchy cloud crept in from the West. Bonus was a double,
around midnight.
I read somewhere that the Perseids are the debris from a comet, if sky's
clear later in the week, will we see some more perseids, or do we wait till
next year?

Bertie

Old August 15th 07, 08:46 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Entwistle

In message , Bertie Doe
writes
I read somewhere that the Perseids are the debris from a comet, if sky's
clear later in the week, will we see some more perseids, or do we wait till
next year?

Bertie,

Given clear skies, you should be able to see some Perseids until around
August 24th.
--
David Entwistle
Old August 17th 07, 11:07 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Bertie Doe

"David Entwistle" wrote in message
Bertie Doe
writes
I read somewhere that the Perseids are the debris from a comet, if sky's
clear later in the week, will we see some more perseids, or do we wait
till
next year?

Bertie,

Given clear skies, you should be able to see some Perseids until around
August 24th.
--
David Entwistle

Thanks David, if the longrange forecast is correct, may have to wait till
23rd or 24th.

Bertie

Old August 18th 07, 08:35 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
David Entwistle

In message , Bertie Doe
writes

Thanks David, if the longrange forecast is correct, may have to wait till
23rd or 24th.

Bertie

If you're interested in meteor observing, you can download the shower
calendar from the IMO web site.

http://www.imo.net/calendar/2007

or follow the monthly guides on the SPA web site.

http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor.htm

Good luck,
--
David Entwistle
Old August 20th 07, 04:01 PM posted to uk.sci.astronomy
Bertie Doe

http://www.imo.net/calendar/2007

or follow the monthly guides on the SPA web site.

http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor.htm

Good luck,
--
David Entwistle

Thanks David, saved to fav's. Last night patchy cloud meant there were a
couple of windows over East Cornwall. 22.15 for 15 mins, I spotted 3.
Another clearance at 23.00 for 20 mins, but saw none. Ho hum.

Bertie

Perseids anyone? G.T. Amateur Astronomy 7 August 16th 06 02:40 PM
Perseids 22:40 UT 12 Aug Robin Leadbeater UK Astronomy 9 August 13th 05 09:41 PM
Perseids Richard Tobin UK Astronomy 8 August 5th 04 12:08 AM
Best Day for Perseids ? Chris Stehlik Amateur Astronomy 1 July 31st 04 07:22 AM
Perseids Chinasaur Amateur Astronomy 7 August 12th 03 11:43 PM