Best Audio/Video Clip

Old August 29th 03, 07:25 AM
Pat Flannery

Default Best Audio/Video Clip

rk wrote:

What do you think would be the best audio/video clip from the USA
space program?

I have a few ideas of my own but am interested in what other people
think.

Let's say length (clip) = 2 minutes.

My fave, hands-down... is the first stage detaching from the Saturn V,
followed by the transtage jettison.

Pat

Old August 30th 03, 07:20 AM
Pat Flannery

rk wrote:

And, dare I ask, hands-up, what is your favorite clip?

If you mean audio...piece of cake..."Tranquility Base here...the Eagle
has landed." Nothing else comes even close. As to live stuff ...either
Armstrong setting foot on the Moon...or that first Martian horizon scan
off of Viking 1, with JPL's crew bouncing off of the walls. God...but
those were the days!

Pat

Old September 1st 03, 08:55 AM
Doug...

In article , "Michael R.
Grabois ... change $ to \"s\"" says...
Not "the best" but one of my favorites, it's my Windows startup sound at work.
From Apollo 12, after the lightning strike:

"OK, we just lost a platform here, we had everything in the world drop out.
We've got three fuel cell lights, AC bus light, fuel cell disconnect, AC bus
overload, 1 and 2 out, main bus A and B out."

Inspiring words for someone who concocts malfunctions for crew training....

I would almost think you would have preferred one of Pete's later lines -
- "That was some sim, believe me!"

Although my favorite line from the Apollo 12 launch is one that never saw
the light of day until relatively recently, since it was only recorded on
the onboard tape recorder. Just after the first lightning strike, before
all the warning lights came on, you can hear Pete say, in an absolutely
flat voice, "What the hell was that?"

Oh, and two minor nits on the quote -- it was "OK, we just lost the
platform, gang. I dunno what happened, we had everything in the world
drop out." Also, I'm pretty sure the last part was "AC bus overload, 1
and 2, main bus A and B out," with no "out" after the "1 and 2." Other
than that, you did a great job of repeating it from memory!

--

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for | Doug Van Dorn
thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup |

Old September 8th 03, 10:50 PM
Leonard Robinson

For my own opinion:

If I had to pick only one, it would be from three clips:

1) "Apollo 8 has a message for you . . . "
("In the Beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth.")

2) Neil Armstrong's first step on the Moon
("That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.")

3) "Godspeed, John Glenn." (1962, 1998.)

--
Leonard C Robinson
"The Historian Remembers, and speculates on what might have been."

Old September 22nd 03, 12:47 AM
Christopher P. Winter

On 29 Aug 2003 04:15:01 GMT, rk wrote:

What do you think would be the best audio/video clip from the USA
space program?

I have a few ideas of my own but am interested in what other people
think.

Let's say length (clip) = 2 minutes.

Another late entry...

One has to be the shot of the lander coming off the Moon and approaching
the CSM for docking. I have a memory of one approaching very rapidly (can't
recall what mission) -- that probably was edited down.

Another of my faves, though I wouldn't put it on a top ten list, is one
Skylab astronaut doing push-ups with the two others on his back -- two
hands... one hand... no hands...

Chris W.