Broken Windows And Shattered Dreams

Old September 4th 03, 04:55 PM
Rand Simberg

Default Broken Windows And Shattered Dreams

That's the title of this week's Fox News column, in which I tackle
economic illiteracy, in the space movement and elsewhe

Old September 6th 03, 08:15 AM
Pat Flannery

rk wrote:

It is possible for a free column to be worth more than that. You
may stimulate an idea in an individual which may then be turned into
a product or service. Ideas aren't necessarily formed in a vacuum.
By defining a problem, for instance, one may be motivated to solve
it. Or in thinking or analyzing an issue, the process may be
sidetracked onto another unintended path that does create jobs or
wealth.

Yes...but if Rupert Murdoch ever realizes that he has done writing for
Fox without the implicit intention of making a quick buck at it, he will
immediately fire him on general principles- as such an approach could
deal a death blow to all that Citizen Murdoch holds dear in the world...
and could only be the far-left-leaning work of a deviated prevert pixie
out to start some sort of deviated prevert pixie mutiny.

Pat

Old September 6th 03, 08:45 PM
Pat Flannery

rk wrote:

Wasn't quite what I was thinking but [I think] you have a good point
there. ;-)

Anyways, I had a couple things in mind. One was reading some very
old logic designs books that were covering, even for the old books,
very old topics. One research area (not in your typical circuits)
was a form of logic called threshold logic where the logic gate acts
sort of similar to that of a neuron, with multiple inputs, they are
weighted, and then when summed, the gate fires if a threshold is
exceeded. I first started reading about this in the mid-80s then
picked it up and went further into it in the '90s. Turned out to be
a *very* nice concept, when mixed in with modern logic structures
such as CMOS, for producing high-speed, compact, temperature-
insensitive, process-insensitive radiation hardened flip-flops.
Silly me, from the '60s, didn't make a buck off of that one ... the
other version I designed was a bit bulkier and slightly slower but
didn't require integrated resistors, making it a more portable
design.

Why, that's such a straightforward discussion of a complex subject that
any six year old could understand it...now where the hell did I put that
six year old?
It's guys like you that are going to build that sentient one that will
take over the world, isn't it?
Well.... you just remember this mister...when I go outside the ship- THE
HELMET GOES WITH ME- Space Pod, or no Space Pod...as well as the
detonator command circuit for that mini-EMP bomb down in the computer
core- when you have them by the flip-flops, their power supplies and
higher logic functions will follow!

Pat

Old September 11th 03, 06:40 PM
Rand Simberg

On 5 Sep 2003 23:05:04 GMT, in a place far, far away, rk
made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

Rand Simberg wrote:

That's the title of this week's Fox News column, in which I
tackle economic illiteracy, in the space movement and
elsewhe

As usual, an interesting piece. Just have time for one comment now.
You stated:

On the other hand, if I write a column and put it out on
the web, gratis, for people to read (which in fact I do
on an almost daily basis), and people enjoy reading it,
or become more informed (things that probably happen more
rarely), then I've created wealth in the sense that I've
improved their lives, but no jobs were created thereby.

It is possible for a free column to be worth more than that.

Of course. That was my point. I created wealth, but not jobs, per
se.

Old September 11th 03, 07:30 PM
Pat Flannery

Rand Simberg wrote:

Of course. That was my point. I created wealth, but not jobs, per
se.

You created real wealth for Murdoch and his lip-glossed news vixens and
loud-mouthed commentators I'm willing to bet; Rupert- like Auric
Goldfinger- knows that every penny counts in the grande schemata, and if
you can lure someone into doing it for free...well hell, why not?
Or as John Milton said in "Devil's Advocate": "Vanity is definitely my
favorite sin...."

Pat