Hubble Ultra Deep Field image

Old May 5th 04, 06:01 PM
frostybeer

Default Hubble Ultra Deep Field image

What an amazing image. Would anyone care to start a discussion on this
image? I could analyze it for hours.

Old May 6th 04, 12:16 AM
Rodney Kelp

That was taken on a tiny point of black space. Imagine how many galaxies we
could see of we mapped all of the black space. It's unimaginable how many
galaxies there are. It's a virtual fireworks show out there billiions of
years old. It's also entirely possible that there is nothing there now, that
was a 13 billion year old light.

"frostybeer" wrote in message
What an amazing image. Would anyone care to start a discussion on this
image? I could analyze it for hours.

---

Old July 28th 04, 05:28 PM
steppenvalve

Rodney Kelp wrote:
That was taken on a tiny point of black space. Imagine how many

galaxies we
could see of we mapped all of the black space. It's unimaginable how

many
galaxies there are. It's a virtual fireworks show out there billiions

of
years old. It's also entirely possible that there is nothing there

now, that
was a 13 billion year old light.

The current (July 2004) issue of Wired, p.49, says the furthest we'll
ever see is 15 billion light years. The assumtion is that that's how
old the universe is and light simply can't be older than that. I don't
think that's quite right, though. The light from the Big Bang should be
spreading faster than the matter did, and we were a part of it, so
light from stuff on the other side of the Bang has already passed us.
I'm sure we're not on the edge of the Bang, but probably somewhere
closer to the middle. (?)

Which brings up the interesting posibility of someone on a planet on
the edge of a galexy, on the edge of a galactic cluster, on the edge of
one of these "bubble" superstructures. Can you imagine looking up at an
empty sky for half the year? You couldn't see galexies on the other
side of the bubble, could you?

Old July 29th 04, 02:47 AM
Alain Fournier

steppenvalve wrote:
Rodney Kelp wrote:

[...]

That isn't how the expansion of the universe works. The galaxies
weren't pushed away from one another by the big bang. Space is
being created between the galaxies which makes them look as if they
were pushed apart. There is no edge of the Universe. There is no
place where one side is empty sky and the other side is full of
stars and galaxies. We will never see light from the big bang
itself for the same reason we can't see light from the core of the
sun, matter was to dense at the time to let light come out. But
light from 100 million years later we can see it is called the
background radiation (the 100 million years number is from memory
it might not be correct). It isn't because we are on the edge of
the universe that we can see background radiation, it can be seen
from any place in the universe (well any place where you can see
galaxies, of course you can't see if you can't see the sky).

Alain Fournier

Old August 10th 04, 02:07 AM
Richard L. Hamilton

In article ,
"steppenvalve" writes:
Rodney Kelp wrote:
[...]

[...]

Taking the usual expanding balloon analogy, we're all on the edge;
the edge is "now", and inwards is actually the past.

--
http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil

Lasik/PRK theme music:
"In the Hall of the Mountain King", from "Peer Gynt"

Old August 14th 04, 01:54 AM
meteor

Alain Fournier wrote in message .. .
steppenvalve wrote:
Rodney Kelp wrote:

[...]

Alain Fournier:
the 100 million years number is from memory
it might not be correct

In fact, the CMB decoupled 300000-380000 years after Big Bang