How to create congenial atmosphere on Mars for humans to survive

Old July 20th 12, 04:42 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

Default How to create congenial atmosphere on Mars for humans to survive

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message ...

On 16/07/2012 12:14 AM, signifiespost wrote:
America, China, India..sending missions to explore Mars! How can
atmosphere @ Mars be created! It may be one way mission for humans at
least for hundred more years!

Once you'd terraformed mars to make it hospitable to humans, you'd have
undermined most of the reasons for going there.

Says you.

If I want to go to an arid desert, I'll go to the Grand Canyon.

I'm all for terraforming Mars.

Sylvia.

Old July 21st 12, 10:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

"Sylvia Else" *wrote in ...

--
Greg D. Moore * * * * * * * * *http://greenmountainsoftware.wordpress.com/
CEO QuiCR: Quick, Crowdsourced Responses.http://www.quicr.net

Sure thing, making as big of carbon footprint as possible for Mars
should do the trick.

How much of Mars do we plan on setting on fire, or making it a whole
lot more toxic?
Old July 21st 12, 10:38 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Brad Guth" wrote in message

On Jul 20, 8:42 am, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:
"Sylvia Else" wrote in ...

[...]

Considering there's really no free carbon, I don't plan on setting any of it
on fire.

As for toxic, it's not like it's a paradise for life now. Can't make it
much worse.

Old July 22nd 12, 12:07 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jul 21, 2:38*pm, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:
"Brad Guth" *wrote in message

On Jul 20, 8:42 am, "Greg \(Strider\) Moore"
wrote:
"Sylvia Else" *wrote in ....

[...]

Human microbes and spores of all sorts can make that planet a whole
lot more worthless than it currently is, especially if they're given
an atmosphere by which to survive upon..

The complex biodiversity of Earth used to be ideally balanced before
humans came along. So, which human and/or Earthly microbes and spores
are you going to keep from infecting Mars?
Old July 22nd 12, 03:01 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 22/07/2012 7:38 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

As for toxic, it's not like it's a paradise for life now. Can't make it
much worse.

Depends what you mean by paradise. OK, the odds on there being any life
on Mars now don't look good, but we can't rule it out completely. If
there is any, there's a good bet it would be killed off if we radically
changed the environment. That life would regard the current conditions
as paradise compared with the new ones.

Sylvia.

Old July 22nd 12, 04:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message ...

On 22/07/2012 7:38 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

As for toxic, it's not like it's a paradise for life now. Can't make it
much worse.

Depends what you mean by paradise. OK, the odds on there being any life on
Mars now don't look good, but we can't rule it out completely. If there is
any, there's a good bet it would be killed off if we radically changed the
environment. That life would regard the current conditions as paradise
compared with the new ones.

Ayup. Agreed.

Now, on one hand, I'm as much as conservationist as the next Greenie. On
the other hand, there's only so much you can do to protect an entire planet
and in the end, if it came down to the planet vs. us, I'd take us.

Sylvia.

Old July 22nd 12, 04:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 22/07/2012 1:28 PM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"Sylvia Else" wrote in message ...

On 22/07/2012 7:38 AM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

As for toxic, it's not like it's a paradise for life now. Can't make it
much worse.

Depends what you mean by paradise. OK, the odds on there being any
life on Mars now don't look good, but we can't rule it out completely.
If there is any, there's a good bet it would be killed off if we
radically changed the environment. That life would regard the current
conditions as paradise compared with the new ones.

Ayup. Agreed.

Now, on one hand, I'm as much as conservationist as the next Greenie.
On the other hand, there's only so much you can do to protect an entire
planet and in the end, if it came down to the planet vs. us, I'd take us.

If it were a matter of life on Mars surviving, or the human race
surviving, I'd be inclined to agree. But I can't see that being the
situation.

Sylvia.