Seven Minutes of Terror

Old July 11th 12, 01:55 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.astro
hanson

Default Seven Minutes of Terror

..... or have you forgotten already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_Af_o9Q9s
and also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=P4boyXQuUIw

Old July 11th 12, 05:24 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.astro
Bob Haller

On Jul 11, 8:55*am, "hanson" wrote:
.... or have you forgotten already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_Af_o9Q9s
and also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=P4boyXQuUIw

i will be shocked if it works successfully.

the system appears overly complex and the great martian is licking his
chops. worse theres no 2nd vehicle in transit.

besides which the nuclear power supply is reported to be degrading too
fast which will limit science operations
Old July 11th 12, 08:36 PM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.astro
Bob Haller

On Jul 11, 1:02*pm, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ab6e8f8a-dc17-4037-ae6a-
, says...

On Jul 11, 8:55*am, "hanson" wrote:
.... or have you forgotten already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_Af_o9Q9s
and also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=P4boyXQuUIw

i will be shocked if it works successfully.

the system appears overly complex and the great martian is licking his
chops. worse theres no 2nd vehicle in transit.

besides which the nuclear power supply is reported to be degrading too
fast which will limit science operations

And yet, you're a long time supporter of more toasters on Mars.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
* up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "

so spirit and opportunity are toasters to you???
Old July 11th 12, 10:02 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Jul 11, 11:02*am, Jeff Findley wrote:

And yet, you're a long time supporter of more toasters on Mars.

Sending men into orbit is easy enough - we sent men into LEO starting
with John Glenn back in 1963. Sending men to the Moon was proven
technically feasible in 1969 - we should not have stopped as soon as
we did, but instead we should have progressed to building a permanent
base on the Moon.

Can we send men to Mars?

Without greatly improved life-support technology, sending a man to
Mars by rocket would be very impractical, _even_ taking advantage of
Dr. Robert Zubrin's ingenious idea to save fuel mass for the return
journey, because of the length of time the trip would take.

That shouldn't be too terrible an obstacle, though. Life-support
technology can be tested here on Earth without the expense of a rocket
launch, and so it should be possible to develop the technology that is
needed. Doing that would be a lot less expensive than designing a new
manned booster (although, of course, we need one anyways to send
astronauts to the ISS, even though the ISS does not serve as obvious a
purpose as a trip to Mars). So I'm somewhat surprised there is no sign
of an ambitious effort to get life support tech up to that ambitious
level.

John Savard
Old July 11th 12, 10:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Quadibloc

On Jul 11, 3:02*pm, Quadibloc wrote:
So I'm somewhat surprised there is no sign
of an ambitious effort to get life support tech up to that ambitious
level.

But then, unspectacular things fail to get much publicity...

http://rtreport.ksc.nasa.gov/techrep...stems/609.html

Apparently, although improvements are still being worked on, we _do_
have the technology required to produce oxygen and carbon from carbon
dioxide with only energy as input - just as we can produce hydrogen
and oxygen from water, although with a bit more effort.

And we know how to build nuclear reactors, which are a very compact
source of energy.

Sending astronauts into space with hydroponic gardens large enough to
produce all the oxygen they need seemed to me like a non-starter. But
if they're sent into space simply with a hydroponic garden that
produces, say, fruit, potatoes, and rice - and vegetables too,
although vitamin supplements might be more compact - and a supply of
frozen meat... and oxygen is recycled by this more compact method,
then Mars may well be within reach.

John Savard
Old July 12th 12, 01:28 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.astro
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Jul 11, 9:24*am, bob haller wrote:
On Jul 11, 8:55*am, "hanson" wrote:

.... or have you forgotten already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_Af_o9Q9s
and also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=P4boyXQuUIw

i will be shocked if it works successfully.

the system appears overly complex and the great martian is licking his
chops. worse theres no 2nd vehicle in transit.

besides which the nuclear power supply is reported to be degrading too
fast which will limit science operations

They obviously couldn't spare any weapons grade plutonium for this
mission.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search
http://translate.google.com/#
Old July 12th 12, 05:46 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.astro
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 12/07/2012 2:24 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Jul 11, 8:55 am, "hanson" wrote:
.... or have you forgotten already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_Af_o9Q9s
and also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=P4boyXQuUIw

i will be shocked if it works successfully.

the system appears overly complex and the great martian is licking his
chops. worse theres no 2nd vehicle in transit.

It's certainly complex, but to characterise it as overly complex implies
that there is a simpler way of doing it.

The purpose of each step is identified in the video. What can be left out?

Sylvia.
Old July 12th 12, 06:24 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.astro
Wayne Throop

:: the nuclear power supply is reported to be degrading too fast which
:: will limit science operations

: Brad Guth
: They obviously couldn't spare any weapons grade plutonium for this
: mission.

I realize it's hopeless asking Guth, but might be amusing.
How would "weapons grade" plutonium help in a power application?

Old July 12th 12, 08:20 AM posted to sci.physics,sci.space.policy,sci.astro
[email protected]

On Jul 11, 8:55*am, "hanson" wrote:
.... or have you forgotten already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_Af_o9Q9s
and also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=P4boyXQuUIw

i will be shocked if it works successfully.

the system appears overly complex and the great martian is licking his
chops. worse theres no 2nd vehicle in transit.

besides which the nuclear power supply is reported to be degrading too
fast which will limit science operations

And yet, you're a long time supporter of more toasters on Mars.

so spirit and opportunity are toasters to you???

I think that's a Battlestar Galactica reference.

Mark L. Fergerson