Heart of MArs Image

Old April 6th 04, 09:04 PM
PP

Default Heart of MArs Image

If you've not yet seen this image I suggest that you do.

Its one of those 'must see' images

It is aheart shaped rock discovered by Spirit rover on Mars !

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...EFF2500P2514R1
M1.HTML

Phill

Old April 7th 04, 03:36 AM
Gordon D. Pusch

"PP" writes:

If you've not yet seen this image I suggest that you do.

Its one of those 'must see' images

It is aheart shaped rock discovered by Spirit rover on Mars !

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P2514R1M1.HTML

If you are speaking of the rock at the bottom of the frame halfway between
the center and the right margin, it is clearly partially buried, so it is
not reasonable to make inferences about its shape.

Second, please note that the human eye and visual cortex are very easily
fooled into seeing "familiar" patterns, even when presented with meaningless
random pictures, such as Rorschach's ink-blots.

Finally, if you are attempting to claim it is a "fossilized heart,"
please note that not even _hearts_ are "heart shaped" !!!

-- Gordon D. Pusch

perl -e '$_ = \n"; s/NO\.//; s/SPAM\.//; print;'
Old April 7th 04, 06:58 AM
Ken Taylor

"PP" wrote in message
If you've not yet seen this image I suggest that you do.

Its one of those 'must see' images

It is aheart shaped rock discovered by Spirit rover on Mars !

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...EFF2500P2514R1
M1.HTML

Phill

Actually, it's a picture of a rock, which is a 'see if bored', rather than
must-see.

Ken

Old April 9th 04, 09:32 AM
PP

Who siad it was fossilized ?

You did !

Its not fossiled - its just a damn good image of a 'heart shaped rock' !

Of course its buried .

Of course I'm inferring its heart shaped -that was the whole reason behind
the posting

Science can be FUN you know !

If you cannot see the heart shape in this image - and nearly everyone else
including JPL staff upto Director level have - then I think YOU need take
the Rorschach's ink-blots exercise !

Old April 9th 04, 05:14 PM
PP

Bored by an image of a rock on Mars rock - heart shaped or not ?

Pity you .

These are exciting times in surface exploration of planets - especially
Mars at this time.

Thirty years ago we didn't have close up images of rocks from the surface
of Mars .

I suppose you wouldn't be 'bored' if there was a little green life spore
sitting on one of these rocks ?

But, then again , maybe you would !

Perhaps you've seen too much virtual reality in fantasy movies filmed in New
Zealand and 'real life' images of these Mars rocks are not enough for you
:-)