Gravitational Lensing ???

Old November 17th 03, 02:15 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Gravitational Lensing ???

OK we know the gravitational influence of one galaxy acts like a lens to
create a magnified picture of a far more distant galaxy located behind
it. With all those billions of galaxies out there can we say that every
photon has been lens if it started out 13 billion LY from us? How good
is gravity lens focas? How much does this gravity lensing alter the
photon's wave length. When I read about gravity magnified light it
sounds like a good thing. Does it have any negative features? Like
making an image blurry? Bert

Old November 18th 03, 12:42 AM
|-|erc

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote
OK we know the gravitational influence of one galaxy acts like a lens to
create a magnified picture of a far more distant galaxy located behind
it. With all those billions of galaxies out there can we say that every
photon has been lens if it started out 13 billion LY from us? How good
is gravity lens focas? How much does this gravity lensing alter the
photon's wave length. When I read about gravity magnified light it
sounds like a good thing. Does it have any negative features? Like
making an image blurry? Bert

Here's a picture through a gravitational lense!
http://whyfiles.org/052einstein/grav_lens.html

"that's so distant we couldn't see it any other way"

Herc

Old November 18th 03, 11:15 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Herc Nice site. Gravity lensing had to be an Einstien
prediction,because it fits so well with his theories on curved space.
Hard to argue against the thoughts of the worlds greatest genius. Still
it is an exercise in creative thinking. Bert

Old November 24th 03, 03:18 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Just a thought on the way light is focus(come to a point) when a large
galaxy is in front of a galaxy in back of it and in our line of view.
I think(not sure) the light from from the further away galaxy does not
shine through the galaxy and have its light focus,but goes by the
perimeter of the galaxy and the light bends in by gravity and it gets to
the Earth as concentrated point.(More photons in a smaller area) Think
of it as a light cone pointed in our direction. Is this the way it is?
This fits well with my "Spin is in" theory as how gravity attraction
works. Bert PS Since the light can be blurry can todays computers
help in focasing this light?

Old November 25th 03, 07:46 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

What if from our point of view we are seeing the universe's horizon in
our line of view. The universe could be flat as our Milky Way galaxy
Seems the only way we know our galaxy is as flat as a fried egg is
really comparing it to other spiral galaxies(yes?) Now what if the
edge of the universe is revolving at close to "c" and gives back photons
that are redden so much that we interpret this to mean they are moving
away from us. Best to think in every direction. Ops just looked
up this is going into "gravity Lensing" What the hell. Bert Ps
They are putting my thoughts to close together

Old November 26th 03, 09:56 PM
OG

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
What if from our point of view we are seeing the universe's horizon in
our line of view. The universe could be flat as our Milky Way galaxy
Seems the only way we know our galaxy is as flat as a fried egg is
really comparing it to other spiral galaxies(yes?)

No, optically we can see the milky way that defines a narrow plane. In
radio, we can detect the HII regions that define at least 3 bands
corresponding to the spiral arms.

Using Globular clusters (and radio) we can determine that there is a thicker
central hub region.

Certainly we have used external spiral galaxies to help us interpret our
observations, but we're not dependent on comparisons to interpret what we
can see.

On the other hand, we can see that the universe is broadly the same in all 3
dimensions.

Now what if the
edge of the universe is revolving at close to "c" and gives back photons
that are redden so much that we interpret this to mean they are moving
away from us.

There is no firm evidence for a gross rotation of the universe, and I
understand that the SR equations for a rotating system gives an appearance
that the radius of the system is contracted.
However, there is no evidence to support such a suggestion. On the other
hand, feel free to work out what the observable effects would be.

Old November 26th 03, 10:49 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

OG What my thoughts were that the universe can be flat like spirral
galaxies,but the universe even if it is thin is to thick to measure.
Seems we have trouble seeing across our galaxy(dust in our line of view)
than seeing up or down,and away from the far outer edge.of the Milky Way
I see the universe so very big that it looks the same in every
direction,and still be the shape of a fried egg. Bert

Old November 27th 03, 01:31 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Why not??/ Bert

Old November 28th 03, 12:40 AM
OG

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Why not??/ Bert

You're saying the universe as far as we can see is the same in all
directions, but out of sight it is flattened. The CMBR is more or less
uniform in all directions and WMAP doesn't show any evidence for this
flattening.

Are you working on this to work out any consequences that astronomers could
look for?