I think I am starting to know what true hatred is.

Old September 14th 07, 04:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
L.A.T.

Default I think I am starting to know what true hatred is.

My signature in SAA is "L.A.T".
I have been a sort of friend to Dennis for some years.
Now this mad person who has a vendetta against Dennis has used my signature,
(and that of Margot Shulter too, it seems).
How can he do that?
What can I do about it?

Old September 14th 07, 05:46 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Marty

My signature in SAA is "L.A.T".

I have been a sort of friend to Dennis for
some years. Now this mad person who
has a vendetta against Dennis has used
my signature, (and that of Margot
Shulter too, it seems). How can he do
that?

What can I do about it?

Not too much right off. At this time, the best thing is to not give him
the attention he craves. Everyone in here knows what's going on anyway.
Obviously, this guy is a totally gutless wannabe bully hiding
behind the supposed anonymity of the internet. If he's under 12, he's
the result of poor parenting. If he's over 12, there's real mental
illness involved.
Dennis has friends in here, and many respect his efforts at
reaching the public through sidewalk astronomy. Hopefully, one of the
more deviously gifted hackers among us can eventually identify this
twerp. Then, stalking and harassment laws may very well apply. Also,
he can at least be held up for public ridicule.
It may take a while, but what goes around comes around.
Marty

Old September 14th 07, 06:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Nervous Mervis

"L.A.T." wrote:

My signature in SAA is "L.A.T".
I have been a sort of friend to Dennis for some years.
Now this mad person who has a vendetta against Dennis has used my signature,
(and that of Margot Shulter too, it seems).
How can he do that?
What can I do about it?

Nothing you can do except be Dennis' friend and be your own
judge. Nothing I can do because Im thousands of miles away
but again there are a lot of Dennis Bishops in this world. A lot
of me and you too. A lot of everybody's. Your post here, if its
real, says all that needs to be said.
Shalom.

Old September 14th 07, 09:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Margo Schulter

Nervous Mervis wrote:

"L.A.T." wrote:

My signature in SAA is "L.A.T".
I have been a sort of friend to Dennis for some years.
Now this mad person who has a vendetta against Dennis has used my signature,
(and that of Margot Shulter too, it seems).
How can he do that?
What can I do about it?

Nothing you can do except be Dennis' friend and be your own
judge. Nothing I can do because Im thousands of miles away
but again there are a lot of Dennis Bishops in this world. A lot
of me and you too. A lot of everybody's. Your post here, if its
real, says all that needs to be said.
Shalom.

Hi, Mervis, Marty, L.A.T., and all.

While it's hardly necessary for me to confirm that the use of my
name and e-mail address in the message to which you allude, L.A.T.,
was indeed a forgery, I do want to support our effort to help
Starlord and express our appreciation for his many years of service
to the community as a grass-roots sidewalk astronomer and advocate.

How remarkable that after all he's been through, including one of
the most brutal armed conflict on all sides in the 20th century,
Starlord can still get a childlike joy from getting out his
10" Dob and wheeling it out in a wagon to where people can use
it to view some of the wonders of the night sky!

I remember the excitement of taking binoculars to a nearby
college campus to share views with people of Comet Halley or
Hale-Bopp, or a total lunar eclipse -- but to wheel out a
telescope on a wagon is a lot more effort, and requires a
degree of devotion which I guess is just one part of what
makes Starlord seem a bit larger than life. We're all invited
to become characters in an epic saga -- "Babylon 10" indeed!

Based on the most recent postings I've seen, I might ask if Starlord
had another medical emergency where he needed to be moved immediately
for treatment -- or, otherwise, if the move was a voluntary one. I'd
consider it very important that Starlord, or anyone in his position,
have the opportunity to make informed decisions about his own life,
possibly with the help of legal counsel or other advocates to
support him in asserting his interest in so doing. If he's in a
care facility of some kind, then that facility may have an ombudsman
or patient's rights advocate to help with some of these issues.

One thing that can help is building a "circle of friends" that will
seek to assist a person dealing with physical and/or developmental
disabilities in planning a desired future and also maximizing personal
autonomy. I'm not sure to what degree we can do this through the
Internet, but such a circle can be invaluable in helping someone
live in their own residence in the community with whatever assistance
is necessary to do so successfully. This could mean anything from
visiting nurses to a nice Dob on wheels.

I'm delighted to see this kind of idea taking shape here. As we learn
more about Starlord's present location and situation, I hope that there
are ways that we can make a difference, and show, as someone has most
aptly stated, that this Usenet newsgroup of sci.astro.amateur is indeed
a _community_.

Most appreciatively,

Margo Schulter

Lat. 38.566 Long. -121.430

Old September 14th 07, 12:32 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Joe S.[_5_]

"L.A.T." wrote in message
My signature in SAA is "L.A.T".
I have been a sort of friend to Dennis for some years.
Now this mad person who has a vendetta against Dennis has used my
signature, (and that of Margot Shulter too, it seems).
How can he do that?
What can I do about it?

Using another person's signature is not a problem. Assuming you use
Microsoft Outlook Express as your newsreader, go to: Tools Accounts News
Properties and there you can enter any signature and return e-mail

address you want.

You can't do anything about it. You could lodge an abuse complaint with his
ISP but don't expect much to come from that. It's possible that what he is
doing is a violation of the ISP's terms of service and they would cut him
off but don't count on it.

Ignore him.

Old September 14th 07, 06:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Steve Paul[_2_]

"L.A.T." wrote in message
My signature in SAA is "L.A.T".
I have been a sort of friend to Dennis for some years.
Now this mad person who has a vendetta against Dennis has used my
signature, (and that of Margot Shulter too, it seems).
How can he do that?
What can I do about it?

Probably the best thing to do is to not mention him by nickname, ever again.
If he is ever to return, he needs to do so under a new nick.

We all know who he is. Best to refer to him as DB or something.

I really think the "person" doing the spamming is a bot, and not a real
human (although there is of course a real human behind every bot at some
time or other).

Mention SL and you're just asking to get "botted". I seem to remember DB
saying that he got into a thing with someone on his sci-fi writer's list and
this was the result.

But, ICBW
-Steve P

Old September 15th 07, 06:50 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
hipocretes americus

some day this will all be history.
Cant come soon enough for me.