Thumbs Down On Ares Vehicle Name

Old July 3rd 06, 06:04 AM posted to sci.space.history
Joe Delphi

Default Thumbs Down On Ares Vehicle Name

I don't know about anyone else, but I vote thumbs down on the new name for
the rockets. It sounds too much like the ESA Ariane. And how many people
know that Ares is a pseudonym for Mars? I never refer to Mars as Ares nor
have I ever heard anyone else make that reference.

From the NASA press release:

"It's appropriate that we named these vehicles Ares, which is a pseudonym
for Mars," said Scott Horowitz, associate administrator for NASA's
Exploration Systems Mission Directorate, Washington. "We honor the past with
the number designations and salute the future with a name that resonates
with NASA's exploration mission."

The "I and V" designations pay homage to the Apollo program's Saturn I and
Saturn V rockets, the first large U.S. space vehicles conceived and
developed specifically for human spaceflight.

Old July 3rd 06, 07:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Joe Delphi wrote:

I don't know about anyone else, but I vote thumbs down on the new name for
the rockets. It sounds too much like the ESA Ariane. And how many people
know that Ares is a pseudonym for Mars? I never refer to Mars as Ares nor
have I ever heard anyone else make that reference.

Too warlike in my book; how about Diana or Selena given their lunar
destinaton?

Pat
Old July 3rd 06, 08:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Dale[_1_]

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 01:58:42 -0500, Pat Flannery wrote:

Too warlike in my book; how about Diana or Selena given their lunar
destinaton?

Which everyone will assume are in tribute to the late Princess of Wales
or the lateTejano singer.

How about Camilla??

Dale

I think Ares is fine. Has a slightly erotic sound to it.
Old July 3rd 06, 12:03 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

better to name it after a long dead well liked astronaut or other
explorer

Old July 3rd 06, 01:11 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

wrote:

better to name it after a long dead well liked astronaut or other
explorer

Schmidlap.

Pat
Old July 3rd 06, 01:23 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 22:04:42 -0700, in a place far, far away, "Joe
Delphi" made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

I don't know about anyone else, but I vote thumbs down on the new name for
the rockets. It sounds too much like the ESA Ariane. And how many people
know that Ares is a pseudonym for Mars? I never refer to Mars as Ares nor
have I ever heard anyone else make that reference.

JPL has long referred to the closest approach to Mars in an orbit as
periares.
Old July 3rd 06, 02:30 PM posted to sci.space.history
mike flugennock

Joe Delphi wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I vote thumbs down on the new name for
the rockets. It sounds too much like the ESA Ariane. And how many people
know that Ares is a pseudonym for Mars? I never refer to Mars as Ares nor
have I ever heard anyone else make that reference.

Well, hell; how about "Marvin" and "Daffy" again?

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old July 3rd 06, 03:26 PM posted to sci.space.history
ed kyle

Joe Delphi wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I vote thumbs down on the new name for
the rockets. It sounds too much like the ESA Ariane. And how many people
know that Ares is a pseudonym for Mars? I never refer to Mars as Ares nor
have I ever heard anyone else make that reference.

I haven't decided about the name "Ares", but the "I" and
the "V" bother me. Well, the "V" anyway. The numbering
setup, using Roman numerals no less (Roman Empire is long
gone last I checked) makes no sense. Where are the II, III,
and IV? Why not Ares 1 and Ares 2?

As for the name Ares, I doubt that the current crop of NASA
managers are adept at deciphering Greek and Roman history.
I know I can't. As near as I can tell, Rome somehow
associated Mars, the Roman god of war, with Ares, who
was the Greek god of war. NASA will find itself explaining
over and over again that its new rocket was not meant to
celebrate war during a time when the US is conducting
multiple wars, one of which is considered illegal and immoral
by many peoples of the world. (In some eyes, NASA might
as well have selected "Little Boy" and "Fat Man" as the
names). Perhaps the agency will have second thoughts
about the name as time passes.

- Ed Kyle

Old July 3rd 06, 03:43 PM posted to sci.space.history
Bob Tenney[_1_]

Joe Delphi wrote:

I don't know about anyone else, but I vote thumbs down on the new name for
the rockets. It sounds too much like the ESA Ariane. And how many people
know that Ares is a pseudonym for Mars? I never refer to Mars as Ares nor
have I ever heard anyone else make that reference.

Too warlike in my book; how about Diana or Selena given their lunar
destinaton?

Pat

And naming them "Photoshop" and "Powerpoint" would be a bit too cynical
Old July 3rd 06, 04:06 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Armstrong, might be appropiate...

Although not my personal choice.

Rusty's Reading Room -- q snidely History 2 February 2nd 06 03:08 AM
NASA PDF - Apollo Little Joe II Launch Vehicle Rusty History 3 November 12th 05 10:17 PM
Scrapping Scram sanman Policy 28 November 7th 04 06:24 PM
Launch of the Progress M-50 cargo transport vehicle to the International Space Station Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 August 12th 04 02:50 PM
Launch of transport cargo vehicle Progress M-49 Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 May 26th 04 03:20 PM