A thought experiment for astronomers

Old June 4th 05, 12:11 PM
SuperCool Plasma

Default A thought experiment for astronomers

A thought experiment:

When we look farther back into the cosmos, astronomy tells us that we
are looking into the distant past, because the light from distant stars
traveling at 186, 242 m/s took x amount of time to reach us. It would
take an extremely long time for a rocket to reach any distant star, so
long that it is not even humanly feasible to bother. Needless to say if
the technology existed somehow to send whole families into space for
this sole purpose with succeeding generations finally making such a
voyage, that star might no longer be there once they reach such a
destination.

Now if we could travel towards those distant star universes at the speed
of light, are we traveling into the past or into the future?

Old June 4th 05, 01:10 PM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

SuperCool Plasma wrote:

A thought experiment:

When we look farther back into the cosmos, astronomy tells us that we
are looking into the distant past, because the light from distant stars
traveling at 186, 242 m/s took x amount of time to reach us. It would
take an extremely long time for a rocket to reach any distant star, so
long that it is not even humanly feasible to bother. Needless to say if
the technology existed somehow to send whole families into space for
this sole purpose with succeeding generations finally making such a
voyage, that star might no longer be there once they reach such a
destination.

Now if we could travel towards those distant star universes at the speed
of light, are we traveling into the past or into the future?

nightbat

Perhaps sometimes a mere reflection according to our space net
reporting cosmic Darla. We may never know until our observation tools
get better or propulsion space ship technology improves to conquer the
vast distances involved in far distant potential space traveling to
actually physically observe and confirm same.

ponder on,
the nightbat
Old June 4th 05, 01:49 PM
Cactus88

SuperCool Plasma wrote:
A thought experiment:

When we look farther back into the cosmos, astronomy tells us that we
are looking into the distant past, because the light from distant stars
traveling at 186, 242 m/s took x amount of time to reach us. It would
take an extremely long time for a rocket to reach any distant star, so
long that it is not even humanly feasible to bother. Needless to say if
the technology existed somehow to send whole families into space for
this sole purpose with succeeding generations finally making such a
voyage, that star might no longer be there once they reach such a
destination.

Now if we could travel towards those distant star universes at the speed
of light, are we traveling into the past or into the future?

Into the future, one second at a time, as usual. If somehow, someday,
we did figure out how to see into the past, we wouldn't be able to
reach out and touch anything from that past, because all we'll be
doing is reviewing the light from that past, i.e. the images, which
are, afterall, made of light. That's my two cents on the topic.

Old June 4th 05, 02:34 PM
Twittering One

A thought experiment
For astronomers ~

"... afterall, made of light,
That's my two cents on the topic."
~ Cactus

"2P, or
A half ~ penny, half icon yours,
Half mine?

The Secret Armoire's Antidote
Dotes Lovingly."
~ Twittering

"Eco exempts Mourning. Night knocks
Thrice without entering."
~ Black Oak

"Raven Noir tap ~
Dances patter, pitters a pendulum cradle rocks,
If differing. Too craft Strophes, Hopes, a cartographer's map
Knight vows vouchsafe ~ Voyage voyeur, a cock's
Exasperation. "
~ Black Chalk

"Or if Strophe, Ode, and Major's Mishap
Defers grandiosely, a Knight bows, knows
Recursion's Antistrophe, a Palinode denudes properly."
~ White Chalk

"Aubade sung lovingly, soothingly,
Ushers lightly
Morning light
A morning glory blooms."
~ Mum

Old June 4th 05, 02:44 PM
Twittering One

"... afterall, made of light,
That's my two cents on the topic."
~ Cactus

"Cactus, 'afterall,' one
Word or 2?

After all, naughty Acqua
Fortis thirstily drank all the Acqua Vitae
After visiting The Apteral in Nashville.

A very warm day, Acqua explained, no rain, only
Rein deer snacking green St. Augustine grass
On the Common.
~ Folly

Old June 4th 05, 02:48 PM
Twittering One

"Cactus, 'afterall,' one
Word or 2?

After all, naughty Acqua
Fortis thirstily drank all the Acqua Vitae
After visiting The Apteral in Nashville.

A very warm day, Acqua explained, no rain, only
Rein deer snacking St. Augustine green
Grass distractedly on the Common.
~ Folly

"When asked, if appetizing, those munching rein
Deer would say only ~
'No comment.'"
~ This Is Joan Bennent,
Reporting for ABC Muse Knows

Old June 4th 05, 03:02 PM
Twittering One

Meanwhile, sometime later,
Only a little bit ~

The Greensward Grass-Grown Turf's Green Keeper,
Over at The Olmstead Country Clube,
Stocks the concession

Stand for afternoon's
Open air Concerto Grosso performance over
At The Greenstone Rock Overhang. The Concert Master
Stirs

A purple concoction of Concord Grape and Perrier
Jouet the concierge catered. A conclave's

Concordance
Reads a swell Play
Bill.

~ * ~
Blog, or dog? Who knows.
But if you see my lost pup, please bring him home!
I got Leon a brand-new bone.
_________________
http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo

Old June 5th 05, 06:53 AM
Steven

Twittering One wrote:
Meanwhile, sometime later,
Only a little bit ~

The Greensward Grass-Grown Turf's Green Keeper,
Over a:::SNIP!!:::ance
Reads a swell Play
Bill.

~ * ~
Blog, or dog? Who knows.

:::SNIP:::

What is this stuff?
-S
Old June 5th 05, 10:20 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Steven
writes
Twittering One wrote:
Meanwhile, sometime later,
Only a little bit ~
The Greensward Grass-Grown Turf's Green Keeper,
Over a:::SNIP!!:::ance
Reads a swell Play
Bill.
~ * ~
Blog, or dog? Who knows.

:::SNIP:::

What is this stuff?
-S

One of alt.astronomy's resident loonies. Best kill filed.
Old June 5th 05, 10:42 AM
Double-A

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:
In message , Steven
writes
Twittering One wrote:
Meanwhile, sometime later,
Only a little bit ~
The Greensward Grass-Grown Turf's Green Keeper,
Over a:::SNIP!!:::ance
Reads a swell Play
Bill.
~ * ~
Blog, or dog? Who knows.

:::SNIP:::

What is this stuff?
-S

One of alt.astronomy's resident loonies. Best kill filed.

If you want to kill file someone, Jonathan, why don't you kill file
Ernie Primeau?

Double-A