Double-A Is Back!

Old October 6th 14, 10:15 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Default Double-A Is Back!

On Sunday, October 5, 2014 2:31:29 PM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
The beautiful weather continues! Sunny and 81F here in Tigard as of 2:00 PM PDT.

Hey! The Beavers beat Colorado!

I have been doing a little research on the rural community I grew up in. There is an old abandoned road that climbs from the town of Latourell down by the Columbia River up a steep incline to the ridge above Crown Point (where I used to live). Before the highway was built in 1913, it was the road local people used. Before they built their own school, the people in the village of Latourell had to send their kids up this road to the Mountain Grade School up on the ridge. I walked the length of this old road when I was young. It had been blocked off to vehicle traffic for years. Back in the old days it was probably a wagon road. Then I saw that a year ago the local telephone company applied for a permit to lay a fiber cable down this Latourell Road to provide high speed access to the people in the village below. There are only about five occupied houses there now, but 100 years ago it was a bustling town and early important trade center. People from Portland would come out by train to picnic in their park, and enjoy dancing in their dance hall where even the founder of the town, Joseph Latourell would play his fiddle. I am glad the old Latourell Road is once again serving a useful purpose. Oh, and there is a beautiful nearby water falls!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latourell_Falls

Double-A

Another bright and cheerful fall day! Here in Tigard it is sunny and 83F as of 2:00 PM PDT.

Go Patriots!

Back to my theme of Latourell, I suppose the reason the local phone company is finally laying fiber optic cable to give them high speed Internet access is because former State Senator Ruth McFarland is living in the old Latourell schoolhouse. I saw bunch of documents she posted to the Internet which were apparently to be submitted to the Columbia River Gorge Commission to get permission to keep living in that historic building. Since the gorge was made a national scenic area, the joke is that no one can even mow their own lawn without getting permission from the Gorge Commission! Six local men working in real estate were heavily fined and lost their real estate licenses for subdividing land in Latourell. Before the View Point Inn up by Crown Point could be reopened for business, the owners had to get permission from six adjoining counties, plus get an act of Congress! The State has bought up the farmland around Latourell and let it be overrun by blackberry vines. Town founder Joseph Latourell's house is still standing, but looks as though it is about to collapse, as some nearby houses have done. There is no city government to condemn unsafe buildings.

http://columbiariverimages.com/Image...06-30-14_B.jpg

One of my friends hanged himself in the park there at Latourell. At least that's what the police said. However, I could never be sure in my mind that it wasn't murder most foul! At least it got him out of being drafted and sent to Nam, which I knew was weighing heavily on his mind. I guess it might have been one way of saying, "Hell no, I won't go!"

Double-A

Old October 8th 14, 12:47 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Sunny and 83F here in Tigard today as of 4:45 PM PDT.

Double-A

Old October 9th 14, 12:46 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Sunny with a few clouds. 76F here in Tigard as of 4:45 PM PDT.

Power lunch with Kim.

Double-A

Old October 9th 14, 10:48 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Sunny and 74F here in Cedar Mill today as of 2:45 PM PDT.

Double-A

Old October 11th 14, 11:56 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Partly cloudy and 73F here in Tigard as of 3:30 PM PDT.

This Tigard Library in on Wall Street, and haven't the financial markets been in a tailspin this last week? The DOW dropped 466 points for the week. Money has been over printed, and the banks are over extended on derivatives more so even that in 2008. The great financial collapse is near! Hoard that gold!

Double-A

Old October 12th 14, 09:19 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Cloudy but no rain and 63F here in Tigard as of 1:15 PM PDT. Expected high only 67F. Autumn leaves are starting to fall.

Double-A

Old October 13th 14, 09:45 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Currently sunny and 64F here in Tigard as of 1:45 PM. Expected rain later.

Beautiful brisk fall weather. I can hardly wait to be out hiking trails and climbing mountains again!

Double-A

Old October 14th 14, 11:53 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Currently cloudy and 61F as of 3:45 PM PDT. Rain during the night.

49ers did OK last night. Dallas is on a winning streak. Remember when they were "America's team"?

Double-A

Old October 16th 14, 12:22 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Currently cloudy, showers, and 57F as of 4:15 PM PDT here in Tigard.

Power lunch with Kim. Stock market in free fall! Ebola spreading!

One of these days I would like to take a hike back into Bigfoot country and see what I can see!

Double-A

Old October 16th 14, 11:40 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Sunny and 66F here in Cedar Mills today as of 3:30 PM PDT.

Expect rain to be back tomorrow.

I can hear Bigfoot calling me from the forest primeval!

Double-A