Audibility of Gemini Thrusters

Old December 15th 04, 01:18 PM
Proponent

Default Audibility of Gemini Thrusters

In article ,
OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org
wrote:
...Which begs the question: considering the positionings of the
thrusters on both the Agena and the Gemini, could the Agena have been
ruled out right off based on the direction of spin?

I've often wondered what a spacecraft cabin sounds like. Can we infer
from the crew's failure to diagnose the problem before undocking that
Gemini's own thrusters were inaudible within the cabin?

Second question, would firing up the re-entry control system have been
feasible while docked, given that the system's thrusters were in the
nose of the crew module and therefore would have been very close to
the Agena?
Old December 16th 04, 06:49 AM

GREAT questions, and I'm very impressed! :-) In answer to your first
question: Noise was not an issue. There is an instrument panel that
tells the pilot what is going on, where he is going, etc. Made no
difference what Neil HEARD; he needed to read his INSTRUMENTS. Second,
as for firing up the Reentry Control System while docked, I don't know
the answer to your question but I DO know turning on the RCS should
have been the very LAST resort as it immediately scrubbed the mission.
But, as I said before, I've been told Neil did NOT need to dump the
Agena.

Old December 16th 04, 11:07 AM
Dale

On 15 Dec 2004 22:49:05 -0800, " wrote:

GREAT questions, and I'm very impressed! :-)

Note to "Proponent"- impressing LaDonna is not a cause for celebration.

In answer to your first question: Noise was not an issue. There is an instrument
panel that tells the pilot what is going on, where he is going, etc. Made no
difference what Neil HEARD; he needed to read his INSTRUMENTS. Second,
as for firing up the Reentry Control System while docked, I don't know
the answer to your question but I DO know turning on the RCS should
have been the very LAST resort as it immediately scrubbed the mission.
But, as I said before, I've been told Neil did NOT need to dump the
Agena.

Are you on a first name basis with Mr. Armstrong? Somehow, I doubt it.
If you can't show any respect, at least you could show some humility.
You seem to suggest that you could have handled the situation better.
Somehow, I doubt that, too.

Back into the killfile with you. Have a nice life.

Dale
Old December 16th 04, 07:55 PM

What an idiot. I'm not talking TO Neil; if I were I would use the
appropriate method of address. This is the Internet, and while I
refrain from using most of the "shorthand" there are some things that
are expedient, and using "Neil" rather than "Mr. Armstrong" is one of
them.
As for "killfile," I notice all the people who keep "killfiling" me
keep responding to me! :-)

Old December 17th 04, 03:53 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
GREAT questions, and I'm very impressed! :-) In answer to your first
question: Noise was not an issue. There is an instrument panel that
tells the pilot what is going on, where he is going, etc. Made no
difference what Neil HEARD; he needed to read his INSTRUMENTS. Second,
as for firing up the Reentry Control System while docked, I don't know
the answer to your question but I DO know turning on the RCS should
have been the very LAST resort as it immediately scrubbed the mission.

And again, if you'll read what happened... this WAS a last resort.

But, as I said before, I've been told Neil did NOT need to dump the

By ONE source. All other sources seem to think he did the right thing.

Sorry, I'll take Deke's, Gene's, Cernan's, Lovell's and Collin's word over
yours.

Agena.