Aerospace Projects Review updates

Old December 3rd 04, 10:41 PM
Scott Lowther

Chuck Stewart wrote:

Such a lame troll...

Whatever.

plonk

Old December 3rd 04, 10:42 PM
Scott Lowther

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

Maxwell Hunter's "Thrust Into Space"? I took a quick look at Google and
Abebooks, and no-one seems to be selling it right now :-(

And they don't. In two years looking, I've never seen it on the usual
online used book stores, and only once on Ebay.

Old December 3rd 04, 11:41 PM
Henry Spencer

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:
design is supposed to be from a book I've never seen, entitled "Thrust
Into Space".

Maxwell Hunter's "Thrust Into Space"? I took a quick look at Google and
Abebooks, and no-one seems to be selling it right now :-(

Nobody sells "Thrust Into Space". Nobody. It's unfindable -- the single
scarcest space-technology book I know of.

The only copy I've ever seen for sale was in a college charity booksale a
few years ago. A number of old space books showed up in the booksales
that fall. My guess is that one of the retired "NASA Canadians" died, and
his heirs donated his library. Some of the more technical ones showed
some wear and tear; the more introductory ones like Thrust Into Space were
mostly in near-mint condition.

No, it's not for sale. :-)
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old December 3rd 04, 11:49 PM
Chuck Stewart

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:41:10 +0000, Scott Lowther wrote:

Chuck Stewart wrote:

Such a lame troll...

Whatever.

I do apologize for that, for what whatever that may be worth. I thought
I'd tacked a smiley on the end to indicate I wasn't serious, and the rest
of my post concerned the fact that your statement was simply not true, and
where to get actual data concerning the facts.

plonk

Your option, of course, but your statement is entirely incorrect and many
variants of it are used by trolls in ebooks groups and forums, thus
sparking my attempt at humor... which went astray...

--
Chuck Stewart
"Anime-style catgirls: Threat? Menace? Or just studying algebra?"

Old December 4th 04, 01:02 AM
Allen Thomson

(Henry Spencer) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Scott Lowther wrote:

That was not obvious... the Apogee books all have CD's with movies and
whatnot... figured that's what it was about.

What I had in mind was just an electronic version -- seachable PDF
would be fine -- of the paper copies. Extra goodies would be
appreciated, perhaps worth a higher price, but not necessary.

If you sell the electronic copy for an exorbitant price, that typically
does happen. But a few brave publishers who have experimented with
treating their electronic readers decently -- making electronic copies
available cheap, in open formats without copying restrictions -- have
found that it works. Turns out that there is honor even among ripoff
artists: they apply social pressure on each other not to pick on
publishers who are trying to do the right thing.

One thing that may also be relevant(Scott may have a better insight
into this) is that A) we're probably talking about a pretty small
potential market for historical space stuff at any price down to
and including zero, and B) the market that does exist isn't overly
well supplied with discretionary cash.

So the unfortunate situation may be that the choice is between
selling a modest number of copies at a modest price and selling
next-to-no copies at a higher price.

An interesting thing to discuss, maybe bring in more real-world
examples, try to invent potential business models.
Old December 4th 04, 03:02 AM
Scott Lowther

Scott Lowther wrote:

That was not obvious... the Apogee books all have CD's with movies and
whatnot... figured that's what it was about.

What I had in mind was just an electronic version -- seachable PDF
would be fine -- of the paper copies. Extra goodies would be
appreciated, perhaps worth a higher price, but not necessary.

Well, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to make a PDF version of Volume 1 when
I get it all revised, jsut to see what the filsesize and quality are. If
it was sold for the same price as a paper version, the profit margin
would almost certainly be substantially higher, but I've no idea what to
sell for. Presumably a fraction of the paper version.

I've an aversion to CD rom for another reason: the paper versions could
sit ona shelf for a century or more, and be as easily read then as now.
The CD will, someday, go the way of the 8-track. or the 5-inch floppy disk.

One thing that may also be relevant(Scott may have a better insight
into this) is that A) we're probably talking about a pretty small
potential market for historical space stuff at any price down to
and including zero,

You got that right. The market woudl be bigger with advertising... which
is basically too damned expensive to get effectively (Av Week wants $15K
for one page... shudder).

So the unfortunate situation may be that the choice is between
selling a modest number of copies at a modest price and selling
next-to-no copies at a higher price.

If I could just sell one copy for a million bucks, that'd make me happy...

Old December 4th 04, 03:04 AM
Scott Lowther

Henry Spencer wrote:

In article ,
Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

design is supposed to be from a book I've never seen, entitled "Thrust
Into Space".

Maxwell Hunter's "Thrust Into Space"? I took a quick look at Google and
Abebooks, and no-one seems to be selling it right now :-(

Nobody sells "Thrust Into Space". Nobody. It's unfindable -- the single
scarcest space-technology book I know of.

Seconded. "Ballistics of the Future" is up there, too.

Old December 4th 04, 03:04 AM
Pat Flannery

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

Maxwell Hunter's "Thrust Into Space"? I took a quick look at Google
and Abebooks, and no-one seems to be selling it right now :-(

That name sounds sort of familiar, but I can't be sure. I looked him up
on Google, and it sounds like it would be his work. I always wanted to
see a copy of it to see what else was in it.
If anyone would have a copy this book, it would be Henry Spencer, given
his love of rocket engines.

Pat

Old December 4th 04, 03:10 AM
Scott Lowther

Pat Flannery wrote:

That name sounds sort of familiar, but I can't be sure. I looked him up
on Google, and it sounds like it would be his work. I always wanted to
see a copy of it to see what else was in it.

1: Rocket Fundamentals
2: Artillery Rockets
3: Orbital and Global Rockets
4: Lunar and Early Interplanetary Rockets
5: Solar System Spaceships
6: Interstellar Ships
7: Outlook

Chapter 5 has the very crude design of the gas-core fission space
vehicle. It is basically a pointed-nose version of the X-23/24 lifting
body geometry.

Old December 4th 04, 03:11 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Lowther wrote:

I'm finding casting copies of them to be a major pain, though.

Let me guess...bubbles getting in the recesses- right?

IIRC- the design is supposed to be from a book I've never seen,
entitled "Thrust Into Space".

boggle You've never seen "Thrust Into Space?"

Hell, I had me a photocopy of the book until I finally got one for
ridiculously cheap on Ebay (it helps when they mispell the title...
keeps the rifraff from seeing it in searches.
BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!). It's a Vital Book for anyone interested in
spaceflight.

Okay, give use the straight poop on what's in it- does it mention the
gasous core reactor and steam rocket?

Are they fairly conventional, or more loopy designs?

Yes.

Smartass...this is at least the second time you've pulled that. :-)

Pat