Slow moving object on images?

Old August 13th 05, 06:59 PM
Chris Taylor

Default Slow moving object on images?

While going though images of (attempted) perseids on ThursdayPM/FridayAM
I've noticed a slow moving object. The FOV of the images are about 24 x 30
Deg and each image had an exposure time of 30 seconds. The object took 4
frames to move across the FOV, so, a minimum of 2 minutes to cover about 20
degrees of sky.

I'm still going through the images and haven't had a chance to splice or
catch detail wrt exact times although they'd be on the RAW image data.

I'm guessing its no plane, and I've not seen a satellite move this slowly.
Do asteroids move this slowly, or indeed this fast? or could it be a medium
to high altitude satellite. Or perhaps a conspiracy theory waiting to
happen.....

If its thought to be a satellite and not an asteroid, or Thargon form the
planet Dork etc; and heavens above might record high altitude, slow moving
satellites I'll dig the detail out and try to identify.

Thanks in advance for any sensible or remotely humourous replies.

Regards

Chris

PS, caught 4 images which when combined point to the radiant but the
combined images aren't pretty as the images didn't cover the same area of
sky, or have the same amount of ambient light/twilight.

Old August 14th 05, 08:58 AM
nytecam[_1_] nytecam[_1_] is offline
Senior Member

Location: london-uk

[quote=Chris Taylor]While going though images of (attempted) perseids on ThursdayPM/FridayAM
I've noticed a slow moving object. The FOV of the images are about 24 x 30
Deg and each image had an exposure time of 30 seconds. The object took 4
frames to move across the FOV, so, a minimum of 2 minutes to cover about 20
degrees of sky.

I'm still going through the images and haven't had a chance to splice or
catch detail wrt exact times although they'd be on the RAW image data.

I'm guessing its no plane, and I've not seen a satellite move this slowly.
Do asteroids move this slowly, or indeed this fast? or could it be a medium
to high altitude satellite. Or perhaps a conspiracy theory waiting to
happen.....

Chris

Chris - the Russians use[d] highly ecentric orbits for some communication satellites [from high 'tundra' latitudes where geostationary sats are below the local horizon] which at apogee move very slowly across the sky. Try "molynia sats" in Google.

Nytecam

Last edited by nytecam : August 14th 05 at 09:01 AM.