Basic physics Q on light - why is visible light not effected bymagnetism?

Old November 29th 07, 01:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
canopus56[_1_]

Default Basic physics Q on light - why is visible light not effected bymagnetism?

Hi. There is one thing that I have always been confused about visible
light as an electromagnetic force. I understand light to be an
electromagnetic wave propagating through space with the the magnetic
and electro forces alternately collapsing and expanding. This
alternate fluctuations in the magnetica and electro force are seen as
the frequency of a light's wave.

What I don't get is why visible light is not then bent by magnetic
fields? What I am missing here?

- Canopus56
Old November 29th 07, 01:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sjouke Burry

canopus56 wrote:
Hi. There is one thing that I have always been confused about visible
light as an electromagnetic force. I understand light to be an
electromagnetic wave propagating through space with the the magnetic
and electro forces alternately collapsing and expanding. This
alternate fluctuations in the magnetica and electro force are seen as
the frequency of a light's wave.

What I don't get is why visible light is not then bent by magnetic
fields? What I am missing here?

- Canopus56

In fact non of the EM waves, from lowest radio via light to
the highest gamma rays, are bent by a magnetic field.
If you want to bent them, use a lens, reflector or gravity.
A black hole is very useful for bending all sorts of rays.
Old November 29th 07, 01:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Nov 28, 5:31 pm, Sjouke Burry
wrote:
canopus56 wrote:
Hi. There is one thing that I have always been confused about visible
light as an electromagnetic force. I understand light to be an
electromagnetic wave propagating through space with the the magnetic
and electro forces alternately collapsing and expanding. This
alternate fluctuations in the magnetica and electro force are seen as
the frequency of a light's wave.

What I don't get is why visible light is not then bent by magnetic
fields? What I am missing here?

- Canopus56

In fact non of the EM waves, from lowest radio via light to
the highest gamma rays, are bent by a magnetic field.
If you want to bent them, use a lens, reflector or gravity.
A black hole is very useful for bending all sorts of rays.

Which begs the question: why are photons bandied-about as if they
were discrete particles (and radio waves are not so treated), having
zero rest mass (as if it's even possible for light to be standing
still),
etc.
Old November 29th 07, 02:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
canopus56 wrote:
Hi. There is one thing that I have always been confused about visible
light as an electromagnetic force. I understand light to be an
electromagnetic wave propagating through space with the the magnetic
and electro forces alternately collapsing and expanding. This
alternate fluctuations in the magnetica and electro force are seen as
the frequency of a light's wave.

What I don't get is why visible light is not then bent by magnetic
fields? What I am missing here?

- Canopus56

In fact non of the EM waves, from lowest radio via light to
the highest gamma rays, are bent by a magnetic field.
If you want to bent them, use a lens, reflector or gravity.
A black hole is very useful for bending all sorts of rays.

Tough to carry around in your pocket, though.

Old November 29th 07, 04:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Shawn[_6_]

canopus56 wrote:
Hi. There is one thing that I have always been confused about visible
light as an electromagnetic force. I understand light to be an
electromagnetic wave propagating through space with the the magnetic
and electro forces alternately collapsing and expanding. This
alternate fluctuations in the magnetica and electro force are seen as
the frequency of a light's wave.

What I don't get is why visible light is not then bent by magnetic
fields? What I am missing here?

- Canopus56

In fact non of the EM waves, from lowest radio via light to
the highest gamma rays, are bent by a magnetic field.
If you want to bent them, use a lens, reflector or gravity.
A black hole is very useful for bending all sorts of rays.

Tough to carry around in your pocket, though.

"Is that an apo black hole in your, scope or just an achro?
:-)

Shawn

Old November 29th 07, 07:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:43:45 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Which begs the question: why are photons bandied-about as if they
were discrete particles (and radio waves are not so treated), having
zero rest mass (as if it's even possible for light to be standing
still),
etc.

Because it is often convenient. We have detectors that can record single
photons with energies in the optical range. We can't generally detect
single photons with radio energies. That doesn't mean that radio
waves/particles don't exhibit the same kind of duality, though.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old November 29th 07, 08:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
josephus

wrote:

Which begs the question: why are photons bandied-about as if they
were discrete particles (and radio waves are not so treated), having
zero rest mass (as if it's even possible for light to be standing
still),
etc.

Because it is often convenient. We have detectors that can record single
photons with energies in the optical range. We can't generally detect
single photons with radio energies. That doesn't mean that radio
waves/particles don't exhibit the same kind of duality, though.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

the other thing is magnetic fields polorize the light. we have
information about the magnetic field of the galaxy because of this
characteristic. none of this is simple

josephus
--
I go sailing in the Summer and
look at STARS in the Winter.
Old November 29th 07, 07:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Nov 28, 6:19 pm, canopus56 wrote:

What I don't get is why visible light is not then bent by magnetic
fields? What I am missing here?

Why aren't radio waves affected by magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields pull on chunks of iron because what happens in that
case is that two generators of magnetism pull on each other.

But the magnetic field of a radio wave just adds to the magnetic field
of a magnet to produce the resulting field at a place where both are
present. Light is another form of electromagnetic radiation.

So, if you shine a flashlight on a magnet, you don't expect the light
to bend. You expect the flashlight to start vibrating. And maybe it
does, very quickly and very weakly.

John Savard
Old November 29th 07, 10:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_2_]

Quadibloc:
So, if you shine a flashlight on a magnet...

If I shine a flashlight on a magnet I expect the light to stick to the
magnet.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig *dawt* com
Old November 29th 07, 10:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Llanzlan Klazmon the 15th

josephus wrote in
:

wrote:

Which begs the question: why are photons bandied-about as if they
were discrete particles (and radio waves are not so treated), having
zero rest mass (as if it's even possible for light to be standing
still),
etc.

Because it is often convenient. We have detectors that can record single
photons with energies in the optical range. We can't generally detect
single photons with radio energies. That doesn't mean that radio
waves/particles don't exhibit the same kind of duality, though.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

the other thing is magnetic fields polorize the light. we have
information about the magnetic field of the galaxy because of this
characteristic. none of this is simple

But that is an effect on the matter emitting the light, not on the light
itself.

josephus