Clock drive mount for 35mm cameras

Old August 30th 05, 11:02 PM
Martin

Default Clock drive mount for 35mm cameras

Can anyone point me in the direction of the website that was selling a
dedicated clock drive & tripod for small telescopes/35mm cameras? I think
they were being sold for around £100-125.

Cheers

Martin

Old August 30th 05, 11:32 PM
Beta Persei

"Martin" ha scritto nel messaggio
Can anyone point me in the direction of the website that was selling a
dedicated clock drive & tripod for small telescopes/35mm cameras? I think
they were being sold for around £100-125.

Cheers

Martin

Something like this?
http://www.scopeoptics.com/Orion_Mini_EQ_Scope_Camera_Mount.html

Otherwise you could consider a small motorized german equatorial mount but
cost will be sensibly higher. Or if you like DIY, google for "barndoor
tracker", like this one: http://www.cloudbait.com/projects/barndoor.html
Clear skies,

--
---
Beta Persei

remove "_nospam" to reply

Old August 31st 05, 09:20 AM
Philippe Gautier

Beta Persei wrote:
"Martin" ha scritto nel messaggio

Can anyone point me in the direction of the website that was selling a
dedicated clock drive & tripod for small telescopes/35mm cameras? I think
they were being sold for around £100-125.

Cheers

Martin

Something like this?
http://www.scopeoptics.com/Orion_Mini_EQ_Scope_Camera_Mount.html

or in UK:

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it040048.htm

for £55. Actually, I was also interested. Does anyone have any good
experience with this? Is it possible to get decent results with it or
it's just a "toy" and you really need a decent equatorial mount? It
looks great to travel light with just the camera in places wher light
pollution is not as bad as where I live!

Philippe
Old August 31st 05, 09:22 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Martin wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of the website that was selling a
dedicated clock drive & tripod for small telescopes/35mm cameras?

http://www.beaconhilltelescopes.mcmail.com/

Best,
Stephen

Remove footfrommouth to reply

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old August 31st 05, 09:23 AM
Philippe Gautier

Philippe Gautier wrote:
Beta Persei wrote:

"Martin" ha scritto nel messaggio

Can anyone point me in the direction of the website that was selling a
dedicated clock drive & tripod for small telescopes/35mm cameras? I
think
they were being sold for around £100-125.

Cheers

Martin

Something like this?
http://www.scopeoptics.com/Orion_Mini_EQ_Scope_Camera_Mount.html

or in UK:

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it040048.htm

for £55. Actually, I was also interested. Does anyone have any good
experience with this? Is it possible to get decent results with it or
it's just a "toy" and you really need a decent equatorial mount? It
looks great to travel light with just the camera in places wher light
pollution is not as bad as where I live!

Philippe

I've been a bit too quick: I see you have to add £45 for the motor.
Old August 31st 05, 10:10 AM
Beta Persei

"Philippe Gautier" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...
Philippe Gautier wrote:
Beta Persei wrote:

"Martin" ha scritto nel messaggio

Can anyone point me in the direction of the website that was selling a
dedicated clock drive & tripod for small telescopes/35mm cameras? I
think
they were being sold for around £100-125.

for £55. Actually, I was also interested. Does anyone have any good
experience with this? Is it possible to get decent results with it or
it's just a "toy" and you really need a decent equatorial mount? It looks
great to travel light with just the camera in places wher light pollution
is not as bad as where I live!

Philippe

I've been a bit too quick: I see you have to add £45 for the motor.

Haven't you said in the £100-125 range? 55+45=£100
or in Italy:
http://www.astrotech.it/italiano/pro.../montature.htm
62 euro+56 euro = 118 euro / 1.45 = £82
As for performances of mini-EQ, I can't say anything. Never tested. I built
up my own barndoor tracker and was happy with it. Then I moved to piggy-back
photography with Vixen SP mount.
Clear skies,

--
Beta Persei
45° 35' N

Remove "_nospam" to reply

Old August 31st 05, 06:14 PM
Robert Williams

Hi there Martin,

Beacon Hill Telescopes have a suitable electrically driven unit for less
than £130.

http://www.beaconhilltelescopes.mcma...pricelist.html

Look for Driven Camera Mount about 1/2 way down the page.

I've used one for over 3 years now and can confirm it is nicely put
together.

regards

Robert

Old August 31st 05, 07:32 PM
Peter Lynch

I bought (secondhand) a unit that fits this description. It contains
a black plastic box that takes 12v in and powers a 240volt AC motor
that is geared down.
Inside is what appears to be a variable frequency oscillator with
a small adjustment range, that can be altered through a small hole
in the bottom of the box.
You attach the camera to a ball-joint that is connected to the motor
by a 6-inch drive shaft.

I have been able to get shots of about 1 minute using a 35mm F/L
lens on a DSLR. There are two drawbacks:
- the internal oscillator has a temperature dependency and takes
a little tweaking to get it to track accurately, and
- my ability to polar align by sighting along the drive shaft
or placing a laser beside it, is a bit rough

It's OK within its limitations but is not capable of taking
multi-minute exposures at high focal lengths. If you want something better
there's always the Kenko Skymemmo for 750 quid

Pete

Hi there Martin,

"Martin" wrote in message
Can anyone point me in the direction of the website that was selling a
dedicated clock drive & tripod for small telescopes/35mm cameras? I think
they were being sold for around £100-125.

Cheers

Martin

--
.................................................. .........................
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Old August 31st 05, 08:40 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Martin
writes
Can anyone point me in the direction of the website that was selling a
dedicated clock drive & tripod for small telescopes/35mm cameras? I think
they were being sold for around £100-125.

I bought a "Micro Star-Drive" from Astro Engineering at the 2004
Astrofest, but I've so far not used it (don't ask).
I see they have now withdrawn it (does anyone know why?) but it looks a
very solid piece of kit and it's still available from many dealers, such
as Green Witch and Sherwoods.
Old August 31st 05, 11:30 PM
Martin

"Martin" wrote in message
Can anyone point me in the direction of the website that was selling a
dedicated clock drive & tripod for small telescopes/35mm cameras? I think
they were being sold for around £100-125.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks for all the links. Looks like a few options.

Martin