Elektron"running well in 50-amp mode and seems to be shutting down when 32-amp mode is used"

Old January 10th 05, 02:51 PM
Jeff Findley

Default Elektron"running well in 50-amp mode and seems to be shutting down when 32-amp mode is used"

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=15031

begin quote from above
Update on Elektron: The Elektron seems to be running well in 50-amp mode and
seems to be shutting down when 32-amp mode is used. Due to the ongoing
battery reconditioning, the ISS is too short on power to stay in 50-amp mode
all the time. To maintain the power balance, the two MCCs agreed to power
down the Vozduhk CO2 scrubber and use the CDRA (carbon dioxide removal
assembly) instead, thus reducing the stress on the Russian power system. In
addition, pressurized element shell heaters will be turned off and manually
managed by ground controllers if they begin to approach the maximum
allowable 12.2 kW (action would be taken around 11.9 kW). This arrangement
will remain in force until the P6 battery reconditioning is complete and
TsUP/Moscow has defined the next set of troubleshooting plans.

end quote from above

Jeff

Old January 10th 05, 02:57 PM
Jim Oberg

Vozduhk? Probably merely a type and not a misspelling of Vozdukh -- but it
does grate my ears
when I hear the NASA PAOs persistently pronounce Korolyov as

koh ROLL ee yeff
instead of
ka rall YOFF

NASA officials continue to accent simple names like Ivan and Igor and
Vladimir
on the first syllable, they seem to just relish the chance to mispronounce
their partners names in public, sometimes to their faces. What IS it about
Americans in general, and those at NASA in particular?

"Jeff Findley" wrote
begin quote from above

To maintain the power balance, the two MCCs agreed to power
down the Vozduhk CO2 scrubber and end quote from above

Old January 10th 05, 06:18 PM
J. Porter Clark

"Jim Oberg" writes:

Vozduhk? Probably merely a type and not a misspelling of Vozdukh -- but it
does grate my ears
when I hear the NASA PAOs persistently pronounce Korolyov as

koh ROLL ee yeff
instead of
ka rall YOFF

NASA officials continue to accent simple names like Ivan and Igor and
Vladimir
on the first syllable, they seem to just relish the chance to mispronounce
their partners names in public, sometimes to their faces. What IS it about
Americans in general, and those at NASA in particular?

Oh, this is a British habit of very long standing.

As you know, the last vowel (if you want to call it that) in
Korolyov is the e with dots over it, and that throws 'em. I
could have sworn that the tour guides at the Energia museum
called him Korolyev, but not distinctly. I think that was what
they thought we expected.

My counterparts (including several Igors) pronounce Igor almost
exactly like the English word "eager," which is accented on
the first syllable. One of them was particularly amused at my
pronunciation of the word "dom" (apartment house), which I could
never quite get right. So I probably got nothing else right,
either.

--
J. Porter Clark
Old January 11th 05, 02:48 AM
Revision

The Oberg
What IS it about
Americans in general, and those

at NASA in particular?

Too much slide-rule time?

JP Clark
pronunciation of the word "dom" (apartment
house), which I could never quite get right.

Birds get imprinted in the nest.... I just had an idea that it might be a
good idea to play books on tape in Russian, French, German, etc for
infants. The idea is that later on if they want to learn the language
the sound for "dom" will be available to them.

I do okay with Thai names, though Prisesnakornit does not roll off the
tongue.

Some guy was trying to teach me a Spanish phrase the other day. I tried
to say it, but then did my Cheech Marin voice and it went a LOT better.
If I could do the same in Russian or Thai it would help a lot, but I
can't for now.

Old January 11th 05, 03:13 AM
Revision

on phone to Hawaiian desk clerk

"Is that Waka-waka-oi or Waka-waka-waka-oi?"