Lens Cloths on Astro Gear?

Old August 24th 04, 09:13 PM
Fleemo

Default Lens Cloths on Astro Gear?

I just picked up some Zeiss Lens Cloths at Wallyworld. The packaging
reads, "Pre-moistened, non-abrasive lens cloths safely and quickly
clean any lens, especially those with Zeiss anti-reflective
multi-layer coatings. High-tech ammonia-free formula cleans
effectively without leaving streaks or residue."

Might these cloths be suitable for cleaning astro gear such as
eyepieces and/or mirror surfaces? Or would I be better off sticking
with alcohol?

Thanks.
Old August 25th 04, 12:07 AM
Jon Isaacs

Might these cloths be suitable for cleaning astro gear such as
eyepieces and/or mirror surfaces? Or would I be better off sticking
with alcohol?

Thanks.

Might be OK for eyepieces, I would certainly use a brush and dust them first.

Mirrors are a different story. Telescope mirrors are first surface mirrors so
touching them with any kink of cloth is likely to damage the aluminum coating.

jon
Old August 25th 04, 09:26 AM
Fleemo

Thanks for the input folks. I was pleased at the job these wipes did
on my computer monitor, which until now, I could never seem to quite
get streak free. I'm glad they may have a use for my eyepieces (just
not my mirror!). I was also pleased at the price. I paid about $3
for a box of 50, while similar moistened towlettes are twice the price
for half as many.

The Zeiss wipe might be useful for "spot cleaning" of a mirror, if an

errant fowl has used your zenith pointed dob for target practice,

LOL!

-Fleemo
Old August 25th 04, 06:34 PM
JG

What about the front lens of Maksutov-Cassegrain telescopes?

JG

They work great on camera lenses, corrector plates, eyepieces, and such. I
wouldn't use anything like this on a mirror, though. The only safe method

for
mirrors involves total immersion and very low force wiping (which isn't

possible
with any kind of cloth).

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old August 25th 04, 07:18 PM
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:34:14 +0100, "JG" no.spam@me wrote:

What about the front lens of Maksutov-Cassegrain telescopes?

JG

Like most coated optics, the Mak-Cass corrector is going to be robust. Clean it
with these wipes. Spit on it. Windex it. It is not delicate. Just make sure
there isn't anything abrasive there before cleaning. Brushing optics before
wiping is always good idea.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com