Celestron CG-5 Advanced Series non-goto equatorial mount?

Old March 7th 04, 03:21 PM
Rank Amateur

Default Celestron CG-5 Advanced Series non-goto equatorial mount?

Anyone have any experience with this Chinese-made Great Polaris clone? Is
it really sturdy enough to support a C9.25 optical tube well for visual
work???

Thank you.

Bill G.

Old March 7th 04, 04:25 PM
Al

The advanced series mounts are almost the same (mechanicals) as the last
standard CG5, with exception of more electronics. For visual use, this
mount is fine with the C9.25, although not a match made in heaven. When one
considers the price, you will not find another GOTO mount that even comes
close.

Al

.net...

Old March 7th 04, 04:38 PM
Rank Amateur

Hi, Al,

Thanks for your post, but my post concerned the new non-goto version of the
Celestron CG-5 mount, with the new, sturdier tripod (as compared to the
"old" CG-5).

Bill

et...

Old March 7th 04, 05:49 PM
Al

In that case you have no problem. The mount will serve you well. The
tripod is also more than adequate for the 9.25 SCT. Even though the tripod
that comes with this unit does not extend too tall (inadequate for a 5" or
larger refractor), it is more than enough for the 9.25, as a very tall
tripod is not required.

My only question is this: Why would you want to buy an Advanced Series CG5
when any CG5 will do the job and for a lot less $?

Al

"Rank Amateur" wrote in message
k.net...
Hi, Al,

Thanks for your post, but my post concerned the new non-goto version of

the
Celestron CG-5 mount, with the new, sturdier tripod (as compared to the
"old" CG-5).

Bill

et...

Old March 7th 04, 06:08 PM
Rod Mollise

The advanced series mounts are almost the same (mechanicals) as the last
standard CG5, with exception of more electronics. For visual use, this
mount is fine with the C9.25,

Hi Al:

Let me add that the tripod Celestron includes with this version of the
venerable Synta EQ4 is the best we've seen so far, and really improves things.
Yes, it's largely a visual mount, but if you don't saddle it with too much
payload, and are willing to do a little tweaking, maybe, it's quite capable of
introductory deep sky imaging.

Peace,
Rod Mollise
Like SCTs and MCTs?
Check-out sct-user, the mailing list for CAT fanciers!
Goto http://members.aol.com/RMOLLISE/index.html
Old March 7th 04, 06:09 PM
Rod Mollise

My only question is this: Why would you want to buy an Advanced Series CG5
when any CG5 will do the job and for a lot less $?

Hi Al:

I don't believe the CG 5s prior to the AS had this nice tripod (?).

Old March 7th 04, 06:28 PM
Rank Amateur

Hi, Al,

Actually, the new, non-goto CG-5 Advanced Series mount is quite inexpensive,
and, by all accounts, the "old" CG-5 mount was clearly inadequate to support
the C9.25.

Bill

"Al" wrote in message
et...
[...]

et...

Old March 7th 04, 08:49 PM
Al

The older CG5 and the new Advance Series CG5 are the same except for the
tripod. The tripod on the advanced series has tubular steel legs which are
much stronger and much more rigid, but do not open up enough for the large
6" and 5" OTAs. I don't know what you mean by inexpensive, but I just saw
(yesterday) a CG5 mount on astromart (purchased new this year) for $150.
This mount was selling with that lousy aluminum tripod, which means that who
every buys it will need to replace the tripod.

Al

"Rank Amateur" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Hi, Al,

Actually, the new, non-goto CG-5 Advanced Series mount is quite

inexpensive,
and, by all accounts, the "old" CG-5 mount was clearly inadequate to

support
the C9.25.

Bill

"Al" wrote in message
et...
[...]

et...

Old March 7th 04, 10:03 PM
Rank Amateur

Hi, Al,

By "inexpensive" I mean less than $500. My Losmandy G-11 cost over $2,000,
so the CG-5 seems awfully inexpensive in comparison!!

Bill

"Al" wrote in message
et...
[...]

"Al" wrote in message
et...
[...]

et...

Old March 8th 04, 04:12 AM
Edward Smith

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:21:34 GMT, "Rank Amateur"
wrote:

Anyone have any experience with this Chinese-made Great Polaris clone? Is
it really sturdy enough to support a C9.25 optical tube well for visual
work???

Thank you.

Bill G.

Well, I'm no expert but, since I just bought this exact setup....

This works well for visual viewing. Focus adjustments produce only
slight vibrations that quickly damp out. I was set up in breezy
(well, almost windy) location Friday night and didn't have a problem
with scope stability (atmospheric stability was another issue).

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them (or even try
to experiment and find the answers).