APoD today

Old November 8th 18, 09:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default APoD today

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

At least people are learning how to describe and differentiate the illusory loops of the slower moving planets where the Earth overtakes them and thereby a central Sun is inferred. Copernicus switched the 365 day motion of the Sun between Mars and Venus with the 365 day motion of the Earth.

I assume that the direct/retrogrades of the faster moving planets require a certain courage but the closed loops ,phases and numerous other components make it fairly easy with familiarity -

https://www.popastro.com/images/plan...ary%202012.jpg

The final piece was constructed in this newsgroup where the transition of the stars from left to right of the Sun sets up the Sun as a central reference for the motions of Venus and Mercury so the minimal effect of the Earth's orbital motion is to delay the points which Venus and Mercury reach before turning in front of the Sun or behind the Sun.

The partitioning of direct/retrogrades using faster/slower motions or wider/smaller orbital circumferences will eventually make it into circulation so at last I can take a rest.

Old November 10th 18, 11:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

I love this poem -

The Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heaven's embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light;
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
W. B. Yeats

I love what our ancestors did, even when it was half light, and the need to handle their observations with care least they vanish under the gaze of crude minds much like the great poetical language of inspiration.

The motion of the direct/retrogrades of the faster moving planets join those of the slower as being equally of joy and satisfaction so we can look both out and in as we do in all aspects of life.

Today's APOD _ Amateur Astronomy 0 September 12th 07 01:19 PM
Stunning APOD today No Name Misc 2 April 16th 07 12:58 AM
APOD today Jim UK Astronomy 9 December 7th 04 09:46 PM
Today's APOD Rick Misc 2 July 23rd 03 01:30 PM
Today's APOD Rick Misc 2 June 30th 03 09:08 PM