social media sources of amateur astronomy news; are there any?

Old October 23rd 18, 06:22 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
walter lebowitz jr

Default social media sources of amateur astronomy news; are there any?

Are there any Twitter or other social media accounts worth following for one interested in: 1) rapid notification of new comet discoveries or outbursts of known objects; 2) rapid notification of new Earth-approaching minor planet discoveries; 3) rapid notification of new extragalactic supernovae discoveries; 4) news pertaining to forthcoming meteor showers?

For 1) above, I previously used the website of the Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams, but it seems that many of that website's pages are no longer updated with any regularity. For 2) I sometimes check the Minor Planet Center's Near-Earth Object Confirmation page but it would be preferable to have the 25-30th magnitude objects filtered out. For 4) I previously referred to the meteorobs mailing list archives website, but that site seems to have suffered an untimely demise a couple of years ago.

I am interested in intermediate to advanced amateur-level information (something beyond which Astronomy Magazine of Sky & Telescope would provide).

Thanks, Walter Lebowitz Jr
Old October 24th 18, 05:02 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Tuesday, 23 October 2018 13:22:33 UTC-4, walter lebowitz jr wrote:
[...]

Nothing absolutely dedicated to what you are seeking.

cloudynights.com (forums site)
astromart.com (forums site)
phys.org (mostly astronomy information, not amateur)
space.com (news site)
Old October 24th 18, 05:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 10:22:30 -0700 (PDT), walter lebowitz jr
wrote:

[...]

http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/ which also has Twitter and FB
hooks.

CBAT remains the standard active source for most reports, but much of
its content is only available via subscription.
Old October 24th 18, 06:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Another organisation, based in the UK, is:

Old October 24th 18, 11:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown[_3_]

On 23/10/2018 18:22, walter lebowitz jr wrote:
[...]

Snews is one such source for coordinating supernova reports.

https://snews.bnl.gov/

Although they encourage amateurs to feed in their observations via Sky &
Telescope's AstroAlerts portal:

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/get-...s-astroalerts/

There are other pro-am collaborations on cataclysmic variable stars and
a few other targets of interest prone to transient phenomena. Impacts on
Jupiter being another which amateurs can easily contribute to if they
happen to capture an event occurring. Today there is near continuous
amateur video capture of the planets disk when it is visible.

Links from this site include some other am-pro coordinated programs:
http://www.cbabelgium.com/index.htm

--
Regards,
Martin Brown