Lat/Long system for Mars continued

Old December 7th 18, 12:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default Lat/Long system for Mars continued

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 10:42:44 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:
Gerald Kelleher wrote:
The International dateline smoothly meshes with the 24 hour day and the
calendar framework and it is simply lovely.

So ends this topic.

No it doesn’t. The international dateline has kinks, usually to avoid
different dates in the same country.
It’s not always on the same meridian.

180 E meets 180 W hence the 24 day closes out on a longitude meridian opposite the Prime meridian. The so-called kinks are just for the convenience of civil timekeeping but the correlation between 15 degrees of geographical separation are implied within the Lat/Long system including the Equatorial speed of 1037.5 miles per hour.

http://megaanswers.com/images_upload...determined.jpg

As you are absolutely certain that the Earth turns once each 23 hours 56 minutes despite the history of timekeeping and location determination via longitude, you are like one of those Brexiteers who would rather cut their own throat than change their perspective but the worst part is that you already know what works but this is none of my concern.

The 24 hour system meets the calendar system at the date line and will do so with Mars as seamless Martian days elapse into each other just as it rotation follows the next. The next step is the Martian year/leap year which allows events to exist within the same format on our planet.

God is in inspiration while the devil is in mediocrity and those who strive for it.

Old December 8th 18, 09:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Goldfarb

In article ,
Quadibloc wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 6:05:47 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

If you have a Prime Meridian then it is implicit that a Martian

dateline exists
as it does on Earth -

Why, yes. And Isaac Asimov even wrote a short story about it.

Wasn't that Poul Anderson? The date line on Mars was a plot point
in "The Martian Crown Jewels". I don't remember Asimov using it,
although it's possible my memory is failing me.

--
David Goldfarb | "Questions are a burden to others.
Old December 9th 18, 12:01 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Were the Earth to have a proportion of 365 3/4 days or rotations for one orbital circuit, it would mean a larger orbital circumference and therefore an overall slower orbital motion than it has presently. The orbital marker would remain the same insofar as the first time a star shows its as a morning appearance far enough to the right of the Sun where it can be seen is a reflection of the orbital motion of the Earth and a line-of-sight proof of this orbital motion.

In a system of 1463 rotations for 4 orbital circuits or 365 3/4 for one circuit, the orbital marker of Sirius would show up as a first annual appearance after 366 days for 3 years but would show up a day earlier on the fourth cycle. This is an adaption of the actual system where Sirius shows up after 3 years of 365 days but delays an appearance by a day after the fourth cycle of 365 days.

Old December 9th 18, 12:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 1:20:01 PM UTC-7, David Goldfarb wrote:
In article ,
Quadibloc wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 6:05:47 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

If you have a Prime Meridian then it is implicit that a Martian

dateline exists
as it does on Earth -

Why, yes. And Isaac Asimov even wrote a short story about it.

Wasn't that Poul Anderson? The date line on Mars was a plot point
in "The Martian Crown Jewels". I don't remember Asimov using it,
although it's possible my memory is failing me.

Oh, my memory could have failed me.

John Savard
Old December 9th 18, 12:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Quadibloc wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 6:05:47 AM UTC-7, Gerald Kelleher wrote:

If you have a Prime Meridian then it is implicit that a Martian
dateline exists
as it does on Earth -

Why, yes. And Isaac Asimov even wrote a short story about it.

Wasn't that Poul Anderson? The date line on Mars was a plot point
in "The Martian Crown Jewels". I don't remember Asimov using it,
although it's possible my memory is failing me.

Oh, my memory could have failed me.

It did fail me partly, but I was *not* thinking of Poul Anderson's story.
Instead, I was thinking of something rather shorter and less elaborate, by
Arthur C. Clarke: "Trouble with Time".

John Savard
Old December 9th 18, 02:16 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

The childish or those who have lost the boundaries between fiction and reasoning can't be accused of lacking integrity but unfortunately they are inclined to write over important matters that otherwise would be spotted for their relevance. That being said it is an unmoderated newsgroup which allows for originality lacking in the safe havens of celestial sphere moderated forums.

In a system of 1463 rotations for 4 orbital circuits or 365 3/4 for one circuit, the orbital marker of Sirius would show up as a first annual appearance after 366 days for 3 years but would show up a day earlier on the fourth cycle. This is an adaptation of the actual system where Sirius shows up after 3 years of 365 days but delays a first annual appearance by a day after the fourth cycle of 365 days.

For the sake of those astronomers in antiquity who had the exquisite sense of timekeeping in tandem with astronomical cycles it can be dismaying to see their works destroyed by those unable to handle the principles which make these masterpieces of human innovation possible. It will always be a work in progress so that what was applied to Earth can also be applied to Mars using the same principles.