Best Lunar Photograph I Have Ever Seen

Old December 1st 08, 08:23 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Default Best Lunar Photograph I Have Ever Seen

My friend Alan Friedman, who works from his home in downtown Buffalo,
NY, has outdone himself, I think.

Please see
http://www.avertedimagination.com/img_pages/kleine_Ina.html and
http://www.avertedimagination.com/img_pages/kleine_Ina_vertical.html.

These are the same image, the former in landscape orientation, and the
latter in traditional north-up orientation.

In my eye this photo stands alongside the Hubble Ultra Deep Field as
the most awe-inspiring astrophoto I have seen.

Note to Chris: Don't try this at home. The computers that Alan uses,
from 'scope to final image, aren't available in Colorado, anyway :-]

Davoud

--
Sell GM for scrap metal. The country will recover and be better in the long run
without an anti-technology lobby to drag us down.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old December 1st 08, 08:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
White Space Trash

"Davoud" wrote in message
My friend Alan Friedman, who works from his home in downtown Buffalo,
NY, has outdone himself, I think.

Please see
http://www.avertedimagination.com/img_pages/kleine_Ina.html and
http://www.avertedimagination.com/img_pages/kleine_Ina_vertical.html.

They really are astounding and as good as any JAXA HD lunar orbiter
shot....but with some $10,000 worth of equipment,
what do you expect?

Old December 1st 08, 09:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

"Davoud" wrote in message
My friend Alan Friedman, who works from his home in downtown Buffalo,
NY, has outdone himself, I think.

Please see
http://www.avertedimagination.com/img_pages/kleine_Ina.html and
http://www.avertedimagination.com/img_pages/kleine_Ina_vertical.html.

Those are wonderful images, Davoud. Thanks for posting the links.

Old December 2nd 08, 12:26 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B

On Dec 1, 8:05*pm, "White Space Trash" wrote:

They really are astounding and as good as any JAXA HD lunar orbiter
shot....but with *some $10,000 worth of equipment,
what do you expect?

Do you suppose that anybody else with $10k could easily duplicate
these stunning images?

There are probably quite a number of amateurs who have far more
invested in this hobby. It is quite a modest sum after all. Has any
other amateur shared images of this breathtaking quality? The
rendition of surface texture and the image scale are particularly
remarkable.
Old December 2nd 08, 12:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
BradGuth

On Nov 30, 11:23 pm, Davoud wrote:
[...]

Same equipment catching Jupiter, Saturn and especially Venus along
with our physically dark Selene/moon should be impressive, especially
if given 4+ bandpass filters and thus 4+ stacked images for the
natural mineral color/hue saturation.

~ BG
Old December 2nd 08, 01:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing

They really are astounding and as good as any JAXA HD lunar orbiter
shot....but with *some $10,000 worth of equipment,
what do you expect?

*******************

$10,000 won't even buy a really good mount these days... for example,
see;

http://www.bisque.com/Products/Paramount/

\Paul A

Old December 2nd 08, 01:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 16:10:41 -0800 (PST), palsing
wrote:

$10,000 won't even buy a really good mount these days...

Fortunately, high resolution lunar imaging doesn't require exceptional
equipment. You could pull this off with a few thousand dollars. The
magic in this shot was in the image processing- what you could consider
post processed adaptive optics.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com

Old December 2nd 08, 03:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
BradGuth

On Dec 1, 11:05 am, "White Space Trash" wrote:
"Davoud" wrote in message

My friend Alan Friedman, who works from his home in downtown Buffalo,
NY, has outdone himself, I think.

Please see
http://www.avertedimagination.com/img_pages/kleine_Ina.html and
http://www.avertedimagination.com/img_pages/kleine_Ina_vertical.html.

They really are astounding and as good as any JAXA HD lunar orbiter
shot....but with some $10,000 worth of equipment,
what do you expect?

Google “Moon occultation” then goto Google Images

Jupiter - Moon occultation:
http://www.equatorialplatforms.com/moon.saturn.jpg

http://sweiller.free.fr/AstroMovies/...nMoonColor.jpg

This public archive of mostly Selene/moon images isn’t half bad,
though imagine how the f40 (395 meter focal length) of KECK could do
nearly 100 fold better, including via earthshine and green laser
illuminated in addition to polarized optics, and then perhaps a whole
lot better yet from ISRO that’s sort of holding back their 10 m/pixel
TMC images.
http://lpod.wikispaces.com/2008

http://www.avertedimagination.com/main1.htm
http://www.avertedimagination.com/latest_1.htm

Moon mineralogy: (kinda bluish saturated due to the degree of UV
secondary/recoil black-light affect), and otherwise soon enough a
whole lot better yet from those ISRO HySI color/hue composites of
their 64 (+/- 8 nm) color/hue bands..
http://lpod.wikispaces.com/November+7%2C+2008

This guy could certainly do a damn fine job of imaging our physically
dark but otherwise fully solar illuminated Selene/moon along with a
little old planet as reddish and relatively dim albedo as Mars
included within the same FOV. Just think what Jupiter, Saturn and
especially if having Venus within the same FOV as Selene is going to
look like.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”
Old December 2nd 08, 06:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Chris L Peterson wrote:
Fortunately, high resolution lunar imaging doesn't require exceptional
equipment. You could pull this off with a few thousand dollars. The
magic in this shot was in the image processing- what you could consider
post processed adaptive optics.

I couldn't pull that off if I had unlimited funds. The good hardware
and software certainly make the work easier, but the skill, patience,
and dedication of the imager are critical. Alan gave a talk at the
first Macintosh Astronomy Workshop a couple of years back and, as I
understand it, he basically uses two pieces of software for camera
control and image processing--Astro IIDC http://www.outcastsoft.com/
for image acquisition and aligning and stacking; and Photoshop for the
finishing touches.

It's interesting to note that Alan collected the data in September,
2007, and released the finished mosaic just two days ago.

Davoud