Flashing object passing NGC 7000

Old September 8th 05, 09:26 PM
gubbenimanen

Default Flashing object passing NGC 7000

On Sep 6th at 21:57 UT when I was looking at the North America Nebula
with an 8 inch reflector and O-III filter I noticed an object that was
flashing about every 4th second from invisible to maybe 9th magnitude.
It was moving very slowly in the field maybe 0.5 degree/minute
westwards. It was pretty cool and confirmed by three other observers. I
pretended it was a pulsar in the nebula

What satellite did I see? From using the NASA JTrack 3D simulator I
think it could be maybe GPS BIIA-25 (also named USA 117, Navstar 2A-25,
GPS 33). It has a period of ~12 hours. My position was latitude +57.58
north and latitude +12.62 east (Sweden).

Roger Persson

Old September 11th 05, 01:03 AM
astrobrock

I get Molniya 3-43 ( 22255 ) being in the area at the time. No gps
satellite was in the area at the time.

Kevin

Old September 11th 05, 02:50 AM
gubbenimanen

Which program did you use? I tried Heavens Above but it says Molniya
did not have any visible passes at that time. ?

Roger Persson

Old September 11th 05, 01:13 PM
astrobrock

I used guide 8 for iding it.