Daily 3382

Old July 1st 03, 08:19 PM

Default Daily 3382

HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE

DAILY REPORT******* # 3382

PERIOD COVERED: DOY 162

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NICMOS 8791

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 2

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be
non-standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER
date/time mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to
the header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated
with the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKSs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

ACS 9401

The ACS Virgo Cluster Survey

We propose the most comprehensive imaging survey to date of
low-redshift, early-type galaxies. Our goal is to exploit the
exceptional imaging capabilities of the ACS by acquiring deep images
--- in the SDSS g^ and z^ bandpasses --- for 163 E, S0, dE, dE, N and
dS0 galaxies in Virgo, the nearest rich cluster. This extraordinary
dataset would likely constitute one of the principal legacies of HST,
and would have widespread applications for many diverse areas of
astrophysics. Our immediate scientific objectives are threefold: {1}
measure metallicities, ages and radii for the many thousands of
globular clusters {GCs} in these galaxies, and use this information to
derive the protogalactic mass spectrum of each galaxy; {2} measure the
central luminosity and color profile of each galaxy, and use this
information to carry out a completely independent test of the merging
hierarchy inferred from the GCs, with the aid of N-body codes that
simulate the merger of galaxies containing massive black holes; and
{3} calibrate the z^ -band SBF method, measure Virgo's 3-D structure,
and carry out the definitive study of the GC luminosity function's
precision as a standard candle. Our proposed Virgo Cluster Survey will
yield a database of unprecedented depth, precision and uniformity, and
will enable us to study the record of galaxy and cluster formation in
a level of detail which will never be possible with more distant
systems.

NICMOS 9423

NICMOS Observations of Transient Infrared Jets in the Galactic
Microquasar GRS1915+105

We propose to use HST/NICMOS to make Target of Opportunity
observations of the galactic microquasar GRS1915+105. This source
possesses transient radio jets which exhibit apparent superluminal
motions, and resolved infrared emission from these jets has been
observed in GRS1915+105 {Sams, Eckart, and Sunyaev, 1996; Eikenberry
and Fazio, 1996}. Because the jet ejection events are correlated with
X-ray outbursts, we will use observations of X-ray flares with the
Rossi X-Ray Timing Explorer to trigger the HST observations. We will
then monitor GRS1915+105 periodically with NICMOS, obtaining relative
astrometry, photometry, polarimetry, and grism spectroscopy of the
jets and the parent object. These observations will allow us to
greatly increase our understanding of the jets' radiative mechanisms
and physical conditions, and their evolution with time. We require the
capabilities of HST and NICMOS due to the small angular separations
between the jets and the parent object {increasing from ~ 0.1 to ~ 0.8
arcsec over the span of the TOO observations} and the high reddening
towards GRS1915+105 {A_V ~ 30 mag}.

WFPC2 9458

Probing the Formation & Evolution of M31's Outer Disk and Halo

The fossil record of galaxy formation and evolution is imprinted on
the spatial distribution, ages and metallicities of galactic stellar
populations. The observations proposed here build significantly upon
our extensive ground-based and archival WFPC2 programs and aim to
constrain the formation and evolution of our nearest large neighbour,
M31. We propose deep imaging of 8 fields in the outer disk and halo,
several of which have been identified from our panoramic ground-based
CCD survey {covering ~ 26 square degrees} to possess significant
stellar density and/or potential metallicity variations. Deep
colour-magnitude diagrams reaching ~2-3 magnitudes below the
horizontal branch will be constructed, allowing detailed
characterization of the luminous evolved stellar populations via the
red giant metallicity distribution, the luminous asymptotic giant
branch, the horizontal branch morphology and the red clump, as well as
the detection of a main-sequence that may be present from any younger
component. Our primary goals are to: {i} quantify the stellar
population variations associated with M31 halo substructure, including
the newly- discovered giant stellar stream, and {ii} derive stringent
constraints on the age and metallicity of stars in the far outer disk.
These observations will directly address two key predictions of cold
dark matter hierarchical galaxy formation models.

ACS 9480

Cosmic Shear With ACS Pure Parallels

Small distortions in the shapes of background galaxies by foreground
mass provide a powerful method of directly measuring the amount and
distribution of dark matter. Several groups have recently detected
this weak lensing by large-scale structure, also called cosmic shear.
The high resolution and sensitivity of HST/ACS provide a unique
opportunity to measure cosmic shear accurately on small scales. Using
260 parallel orbits in Sloan textiti {F775W} we will measure for the
first time: beginlistosetlength sep0cm setlengthemsep0cm setlength
opsep0cm em the cosmic shear variance on scales 0.7 arcmin, em the
skewness of the shear distribution, and em the magnification effect.
endlist Our measurements will determine the amplitude of the mass
power spectrum sigma_8Omega_m^0.5, with signal-to-noise {s/n} ~ 20,
and the mass density Omega_m with s/n=4. They will be done at small
angular scales where non-linear effects dominate the power spectrum,
providing a test of the gravitational instability paradigm for
structure formation. Measurements on these scales are not possible
from the ground, because of the systematic effects induced by PSF
smearing from seeing. Having many independent lines of sight reduces
the uncertainty due to cosmic variance, making parallel observations
ideal.

ACS/WFPC2 9481

Pure Parallel Near-UV Observations with WFPC2 within High-Latitude ACS
Survey Fields

In anticipation of the allocation of ACS high-latitude imaging
survey{s}, we request a modification of the default pure parallel
program for those WFPC2 parallels that fall within the ACS survey
field. Rather than duplicate the red bands which will be done much
better with ACS, we propose to observe in the near-ultraviolet F300W
filter. These data will enable study of the rest-frame ultraviolet
morphology of galaxies at 0z1. We will determine the morphological
k-correction, and the location of star formation within galaxies,
using a sample that is likely to be nearly complete with
multi-wavelength photometry and spectroscopic redshifts. The results
can be used to interpret observations of higher redshift galaxies by
ACS.

NICMOS 9484

The NICMOS Parallel Observing Program

We propose to manage the default set of pure parallels with NICMOS.
Our experience with both our GO NICMOS parallel program and the public
parallel NICMOS programs in cycle 7 prepared us to make optimal use of
the parallel opportunities. The NICMOS G141 grism remains the most
powerful survey tool for HAlpha emission-line galaxies at
cosmologically interesting redshifts. It is particularly well suited
to addressing two key uncertainties regarding the global history of
star formation: the peak rate of star formation in the relatively
unexplored but critical 1= z = 2 epoch, and the amount of star
formation missing from UV continuum-based estimates due to high
extinction. Our proposed deep G141 exposures will increase the sample
of known HAlpha emission- line objects at z ~ 1.3 by roughly an order
of magnitude. We will also obtain a mix of F110W and F160W images
along random sight-lines to examine the space density and morphologies
of the reddest galaxies. The nature of the extremely red galaxies
remains unclear and our program of imaging and grism spectroscopy
provides unique information regarding both the incidence of obscured
star bursts and the build up of stellar mass at intermediate
redshifts. In addition to carrying out the parallel program we will
populate a public database with calibrated spectra and images, and
provide limited ground- based optical and near-IR data for the deepest
parallel fields.

STIS 9506

A SNAPSHOT SURVEY OF HIGH COLUMN DENSITY, LOW-Z LyAlpha ABSORBERS

We propose a STIS G140L spectroscopic Snapshot program of bright
{V=16.5} AGN not previously observed in the UV to discover new
high-column density {N_H = 10^15 cm^-2} LyAlpha absorbers in the
local Universe {z = 0.45}. Many more of these high column density
systems are needed because: {1} They contribute most of the baryons to
the local IGM; {2} They include systems for which valuable metallicity
and D/H measurements can be made with the Cosmic Origins Spectrograph
{COS}; {3} They include many of the ``warm-hot'' absorbers, thought to
be a large baryon reservoir in the local Universe; and {4} They are
most likely to be ``associated'' with galaxy halos. Because of their
low-z, many of these absorbers can be located relative to galaxies of
known redshifts, allowing an immediate scientific return from these
snapshots. Perhaps the most important, lasting results of this survey
require higher resolution reobservations with COS by our GTO team.
Using these snapshots to select the best targets, we will obtain COS
R~22, 000 spectra to determine the D/H and metallicity of absorbers in
galaxy halos, groups, and voids. We will use pairs and
``constellations'' of AGN to determine absorber sizes, shapes, and
covering factors. Candidate ``warm-hot'' absorbers will be reobserved
with COS to determine their numbers accurately and to assess their
metallicity, sizes, and relationships to galaxies and galaxy groups.

WFPC2 9595

WFPC2 CYCLE 11 SUPPLEMENTAL DARKS pt3/3

This dark calibration program obtains 3 dark frames every day to
provide data for monitoring and characterizing the evolution of hot
pixels.

STIS 9606

CCD Dark Monitor-Part 2

Monitor the darks for the STIS CCD.

STIS 9608

CCD Bias Monitor - Part 2

Monitor the bias in the 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 bin settings at gain=1,
and 1x1 at gain = 4, to build up high-S/N superbiases and track the
evolution of hot columns.

STIS 9615

Cycle 11 MAMA Dark Monitor

This test performs the routine monitoring of the MAMA detector dark
noise. This proposal will provide the primary means of checking on
health of the MAMA detectors systems through frequent monitoring of
the background count rate. The purpose is to look for evidence of
change in dark indicative of detector problem developing.

STIS 9633

STIS parallel archive proposal - Nearby Galaxies - Imaging and
Spectroscopy

Using parallel opportunities with STIS which were not allocated by the
TAC, we propose to obtain deep STIS imagery with both the Clear
{50CCD} and Long-Pass {F28X50LP} filters in order to make
color-magnitude diagrams and luminosity functions for nearby galaxies.
For local group galaxies, we also include G750L slitless spectroscopy
to search for e.g., Carbon stars, late M giants and S-type stars. This
survey will be useful to study the star formation histories, chemical
evolution, and distances to these galaxies. These data will be placed
immediately into the Hubble Data Archive.

NICMOS 9637

NICMOS Focus Stability

The purpose of this activity is to determine if the best focus
determined in SMOV is stable. This program will execute in
approximately one month intervals starting about 1 month after the
last execution of proposal 8980.

ACS 9658

ACS Earth Flats

This program will obtain sequences of flat field images by observing
the bright Earth. Several UV filters from the interim calibration
program {9564} require additional exposures to obtain the required
illumination. A few UV filters from this program will be repeated to
monitor for changes in the flat fields and to verify the interim
results. Since no streaks are observed in the UV, the wavelength
coverage is extended to longer wavelengths in order to explore the
severity of streaks in the flats from clouds in the FOV. We have added
exposures for the HRC in the visible filters to verify the results
derived from the L-flat campaign and to explore the severity of
streaks. We have also added exposures on WFC using the minimum
exposure time and using filters which will not saturate the brightest
WFC pixel by more than 10 times the full well.

ACS 9674

CCD Daily Monitor

This program consists of basic tests to monitor, the read noise, the
development of hot pixels and test for any source of noise in ACS CCD
detectors. This programme will be executed once a day for the entire
lifetime of ACS.

STIS 9708

STIS Pure Parallel Imaging Program: Cycle 11

This is the default archival pure parallel program for STIS during cycle
11.

WFPC2 9709

POMS Test Proposal: WFII parallel archive proposal

This is the generic target version of the WFPC2 Archival Pure Parallel
program. The program will be used to take parallel images of random
areas of the sky, following the recommendations of the 2002 Parallels
Working Group.

ACS/HRC/WFC 9728

Tracing the History of Cosmic Expansion to z~2 with Type Ia Supernovae

Type Ia supernovae {SNe Ia} provide the only direct evidence for an
accelerating universe, an extraordinary result that needs the most
rigorous test. The case for cosmic acceleration rests on the
observation that SNe Ia at z = 0.5 are about 0.25 mag fainter than
they would be in a universe without acceleration. A powerful and
straightforward way to assess the reliability of the SN Ia measurement
and the conceptual framework of its interpretation is to look for
cosmic deceleration at z 1. This would be a clear signature of a
mixed dark-matter and dark-energy universe. Systematic errors in the
SNe Ia result attributed to grey dust or cosmic evolution of the SN Ia
peak luminosity would not show this change of sign. We have obtained a
toehold on this putative ``epoch of deceleration'' with SN 1997ff at z
= 1.7, and 3 more at z 1 from our Cycle 11 program, all found and
followed by HST. However, this is too important a test to rest on just
a few objects, anyone of which could be subject to a lensed
line-of-sight or misidentification. Here we propose to extend our
measurement with observations of twelve SNe Ia in the range 1.0 z
1.5 or 6 such SNe Ia and 1 ultradistant SN Ia at z = 2, that will be
discovered as a byproduct from proposed Treasury and DD programs.
These objects will provide a much firmer foundation for a conclusion
that touches on important questions of fundamental physics.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.) None

COMPLETED OPS REQs:
16991-0 - FSW 2.3C EEPROM Installation @ 162/1243z

OPS NOTES EXECUTED: None

************************** SCHEDULED**** SUCCESSFUL*** FAILURE TIMES
FGS
GSacq**************** 10*********************** 10

FGS REacq**************** 7************************** 7
LOSS of LOCK

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS:

On 162/11:49:27:00 commanding commenced for the installation of
FSW2.3C EEPROM installation (OR 16991-0) on the first opportunity.*
EEPROM load was completed at 162/11:55:13 and the memory dump and
comparison completed at 162/12:35:30 with FSW's concurrence.* BMIC
enable (last step) was performed at 162/12:43:05.* All operations
associated with the EEPROM installation proceeded nominally.* This
concludes a successful FSW2.3C Installation.