Leo and Saturn

Old May 8th 10, 05:41 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Foxy Contin

Default Leo and Saturn

It's Leo and the trio with Saturn in tow all summer long...How long will
Saturn be here? Considering it's long orbit I should think it will be in
Leo for quite some time.

Old May 8th 10, 11:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley[_2_]

See: http://asa.usno.navy.mil/

Old May 8th 10, 01:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mitch Westell

I used to ask the very same questions when I did planetary imaging. Still
do sometimes. I found Cartes du Ciel the most useful program I ever found
regarding planetary position, phase, magnitude, etc. It not only does
planets, but stars and plenty of DSOs as well. Great free program. Google
for it.

HTH,
Mitch

Old May 9th 10, 04:13 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
jwarner1[_2_]

Mitch Westell wrote:

I used to ask the very same questions when I did planetary imaging. Still
do sometimes. I found Cartes du Ciel the most useful program I ever found
regarding planetary position, phase, magnitude, etc. It not only does
planets, but stars and plenty of DSOs as well. Great free program. Google
for it.

HTH,
Mitch

I just finished a complete WR catalog for Cartes (with charts) if you want it?
All 168 known objects as per Simbad/Harvard. Free of course.
Just email and I will send it -

I did this as a learning tool for people at CAA/Pal Dows. Its the only known
spectral chart fr WR's I know of -

Jerry/CAA

Old May 9th 10, 11:41 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
canopus56[_3_]

"Foxy Contin" wrote in

It's Leo and the trio with Saturn in tow all summer long...How long
will Saturn be here? Considering it's long orbit I should think it
will be in Leo for quite some time.

For this year from North Amer. and using 10pm daylight time and 30
degrees alt as the observing criteria, Saturn will continue to be
observable through about July 7.

After July 7, Virgo will continue to visible in the west after sunset
through Sept., albeit at a low altitude.

Mark the evening of August 12 at about 9pm (just after sunset) on your
calendar. There will be wide (8 deg) planetary grouping at the west
horizon consisting of Saturn, Venus, and the Moon, with Mercury 20
degrees away just above the horizon.

Currenly, Saturn has passed from the boundaries of Leo and continues in
its eastward movement that transits the constellation Virgo. Saturn is a
few degrees from beta Virgo - Zavijah. Saturn will continue to transit
Virgo's boundaries until about September 1, 2013. Constellation
boundaries are not square, so as it enters Libra in Sept. 2013, Saturn
will still be about 7 degrees west in right ascension from mu Virgo -
Rijl al Awwa - one of the eastern most stars in the Virgo constellation
figure.

Old May 10th 10, 06:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Foxy Contin

figure.

Baloney

Old May 25th 10, 10:51 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

On 2010-05-08, Foxy Contin wrote:
It's Leo and the trio with Saturn in tow all summer long...How long will
Saturn be here? Considering it's long orbit I should think it will be in
Leo for quite some time.

Saturn is in the constellation Virgo at the moment.

Bud