ASTRO: WLM galaxy

Old January 19th 07, 01:33 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: WLM galaxy

A bit low for me this time of year and in severe sky glow from ice
crystals in the air over the lake. Left me with a very milky background
of an uneven nature. I suppose I should have removed the stars and
galaxy, made a flat field from what was left to get rid of it. I'm not
quite up to that in Photoshop as yet. Still learning. Need to try
again next year before the sky gets so icy over the lake. A distant
member of the local group. Websites give various distances of 3.4 to 4
million light years. Beyond M31 in any case. I vote for the shorter
estimates.

14" LX200R@f/10, 6x5 minutes binned 2x2, STL-11000M, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WLM_GALAXY6x5.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	356
Old January 20th 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Rick Johnson" wrote
........ A distant
member of the local group. Websites give various distances of 3.4 to 4
million light years. Beyond M31 in any case. I vote for the shorter
estimates.

Rick,

Great image!!

This dwarf galaxy is sort of "the sticks" of the universe, or at least the
local group - an appropriate target for a guy living on a remote lake!

George N

Old January 21st 07, 12:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

George Normandin wrote:

"Rick Johnson" wrote

........ A distant
member of the local group. Websites give various distances of 3.4 to 4
million light years. Beyond M31 in any case. I vote for the shorter
estimates.

Rick,

Great image!!

This dwarf galaxy is sort of "the sticks" of the universe, or at least the
local group - an appropriate target for a guy living on a remote lake!

George N

You're right about me being in the sticks. In the last election all
resident adults of my township (36 square miles) voted -- all 28 of us.
And many of them voted by absentee ballot as they had already headed
south for winter. There are less than a dozen of us who didn't head south.

Rick

Old January 21st 07, 11:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Great shooting Rick. I don't think that many pictures of this object exist.
Must be quite faint.

Stefan